"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:28:04 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: seriously make it easier  (Read 12070 times)

Metal Avalon

• heathens will fall
seriously make it easier
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:11:11 am »

I dont mean lower how much damage is done but Jesus Christ. Here is why I'm quitting, for the past four days of me playing I have died over one hundred times, I'm not exaggerating because I've actually counted. I've played right, got leather armor, about 800 caps, level 2, a good person in NCR gave me a fast loading revolver and some hides. I finally had 10 hides after alot of shit shoveling, and than some mother fucker steals my hides and follows me without me noticing, we're both in the random encounter map and my shits gone along with my caps. "I JUST WANT YOUR LEATHER JACKET HURDURDURRRP" he says offering to trad emy stuff back for it, so I shoot him in his stupid face about 600 times and he still doesnt drop. Some high level dick name Fedale or Fodile or something runs in after a bit of following this kid and shooting him, kills us both, loots us both, and than shits on us laughing "HAHAHA BLAH BLAH QUIT BITCHING AND HAVE FUN"
Have fun?
Wow really? It's kind hard to have fun when you can't even leave town without getting killed by some level 21 in power armor going around killing everyone and telling them to have fun while they have to wait 30 seconds to respawn, loose EVERYTHING they had on, and than do it all over again. The only reason I'm quitting is because there isn't a point of continuing if I already know how every moment will play out.
I was so close to having a space to store my stuff and one thieving noob with high first aid fucked it all up.
in the beginning I was just thinking everyone who was quitting at low levels were just quitters, but now I agree with them.
What you need to do is
1. Make a guide for how to play for people who don't know. You shouldn't expect everyone right off the bat to know every small command or bug fix. Make an in-game tutorial maybe. Nobody likes the hassle of looking at a manual while doing something.
2. Oh god please make it so you at least keep 80% of your things when you die. It doesn't matter if it makes sense, but you should only loose like one thing when you die, why? because it's not fun when you spent three days working up your character just to get a tent, why three days? because you keep getting killed. I have went through at least 40 stacks of hides because people keep stealing and looting them from me. Constantly.
CONSTANTLY.
If I kill one thief another one robs me while I get my stuff back, if I kill that one a high level will barge in and kill me and everyone else. Seriously guys I know it's just a game but it's not a fun game if you're on the receiving end of this shit storm. I respect the people who helped newbs greatly but we shouldn't NEED other people to help us, we should have some kind of beginning quest that equips us with a starter pistol, some ammo, and maybe some light armor.
3. You need to have some actual safe zones, where the guards will instant kill pick pockets before they even have a chance to steal. Not every town but I mean like the NCR and Vault City.
Re: seriously make it easier
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:33:02 am »

A-men brother.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:09 am »

There should be at least ONE even if its some randomly generated shit place with like 100 caps refresh in stores but someplace for newbies to get started.

Edit: If you come to ncr I'll help you out.  I can get your some armor, a weapon, plenty ammo, a slave or two to help with grinding up that character, and I'll be sure to keep thieves off you when trading by constantly pushing them away or insta bursting them if I got nothing to lose, and I think I have 10 spare brahmin hides around here somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:05:51 am by Michaelh139 »
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Drakonis

• Oh oh this is furtile...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:22 am »

The are newbie quests that equips you with pistols, shotguns, armors, cash, ammo etc etc. even small guns skill..

I agree that the game itself is very unfriendly, but not just to new player but to all loners and people who for some reason don't want to be a part of a player faction. At this moment it's pretty much:
- Rush to 21
- Try having fun while PKing or anti-PKings(which also means "have fun dying pretty often, but hey who cares- you have a gang that supports you with shitload of stuff scattered around your base, so don't care much about loosing your basic PK gear.
"But... Isn't Betty a womans name...?"

Imprezobus

• Imprezobus here!
    • Forum Los Alamos Warriors
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 02:21:55 am »

well, how could it be that Ive been loner for 2 months, and still it was best part of game for me, the part when Ive evolved, dying so many times... uncountable.

with every death of my character I felt like "fuck yeah, now it was harsh" and I was happy that I finnaly found a game with real wasteland, because other games were a joke.

Ive been also progressing, learning how to survive, the feeling was REALLY great.

If you are not ready to suffer more than its expected by a game, realize that its wasteland simulator somehow, not fuckin casual one, and there you can be in only two states:
"dead" or "not yet dead"

Seriously, that what should be given as a tutorial or begginers guide is "you are gonna have your ass kicked more times than anyone can imagine, get used to it and try to prevent it or get the fuck out on WoW" :f

seriously, I hate people like you coming in here
Self-proclaimed best guide in the wastes.
http://www.law.netarteria.eu/files/bus.jpg by MACabra, edit by Frozen Mind
Snackish: pks pks pks. Kilgore: BBS is here, town is safe

Metal Avalon

• heathens will fall
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:27:01 am »

Go back to No Mutants Allowed, Imprezobus.
I hate people who think that the game has to be casual as much as the next guy but thats just elitist spewing garbage you have there. Like I said the game shouldn't become easier anywhere but for the new people. We need a starter quest instead of just getting a bag of water and saying "DURRRRRRRRRRP FIGURE IT OUT KID HERES 200 CAPS THAT WILL JUST GET INASTANTLY STOLENN FROM U ANYWAY"
Evolving isn't fun when you don't evolve. I have lost more starter gear on me than I can count. The game right now is just freedrop mode, meaning "if you weren't already on top when the game first started, you're pretty much fucked." we, as newbs, need some kind of place to be able to be safe. Not some diaper or crutch but I mean like town guards actually doing their job instead of just running at you waving their hands. Like some actual starter areas where you don't walk into 100 rats in one area and 15 centaurs in another before you even have a ranged weapon.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:00 am »

So you did not pay attention and someone followed you and you died. I don't see this as a difficulty with the game, but lack of player's perception. In my opinion the game is already very easy compared to what it used to be.

LeMark

• Tim & Tom & Ted Lawyer Agency
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 03:42:13 am »

Wiki dude, Wiki....

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 03:45:49 am »

You say you played right? Wrong. You should've killed the cows first. Turn-based, beat them to death with the hands god gave you, hit and run two or three encounters and you're done. If you don't have enough AP, make a spear or two. Throw it and run away in RT, wait for AP to regenerate, run up to it, pick up, rinse-repeat. You'll actually learn something about killing things that melee in this game. Set up your tent. Fast forward a few days and you have more low level stuff than you could possibly ever use.

Now, from your account, I can see that you made a few fatal mistakes. See, you didn't "play right". You kept screwing up, and each mistake contributed to the end result, ie. you lying dead on the ground and some asshole taking a dump on you. Let's elaborate on what you did wrong:
a) wrong priorities; you didn't get the tent first, you lost everything because you died
b) because of having too much stuff on you, you were a target for thieves
c) you didn't put the most precious thing you had, ie. brahmin skins, into an item slot... probably because you had other stuff you didn't want stolen from you
d) you allowed a guy to follow you and steal from you
e) due to you being angry with your fuckup, you didn't rationally asses the situation and got into a fight you had low chance of concluding in your favor because:
   - you couldn't kill him in reasonably few strikes
   - even if you killed him, you'd kill him on grid and there's a high chance you wouldn't pick your stuff up
... obviously, being a succesful thief he was lvl 21 on bluesuit, a fact you didn't recognize
f) due to assessing the situation wrongly, you didn't retreat from the map in an area that's basically a PK hunting ground
g) you got killed - nothing wrong here except for the fact that you still could've ran if your reflexes were good enough and you weren't surprised.

See how each mistake leads to the next, more severe one? Basically, a silly thing and less than obvious lapse of judgement escalated into having to start from scratch because you couldn't keep your cool, withdraw and do the farming again. You felt lucky, you took a risk, you died. But the fact stands that you could've pulled out at any time.

But that's not the problem. The problem is you didn't take your time to analyse the situation and do it right the next time around. You just assumed that you were right and the game was wrong, you didn't learn from your mistakes. That's just the worst attitude possible if you want to succeed in this game. Try seeing beyond the items lost, because for a newbie, each death is not really a failure - it's an opportunity to gain knowledge on how to do shit right. Honestly, 9 out of 10 non-TC related player deaths on this server could easily be avoided with proper techniques/tactics, with the remaining 10% being simply massive amounts of bad luck. Once you accept the fact that you're not perfect and start trying to adapt, you'll see your survival rates increasing. Good luck.

Oh, and this thing about it being impossible to climb up in the "social structure" of the server? Wrong again, back when I started it was way worse and I'm leading a well recognized and feared gang right now along with a friend I started playing with... and there's a lot of people who started before or after me and managed to make a name for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:55:14 am by Nice_Boat »
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 04:40:29 am »

Starting out in FOnline is tough because you don't know anything. Once you do know how to play, though, you can go from starting out with nothing to having a lvl 21 char in 4-8 hours. Here are two ways you can get a tent within the first ten minutes of playing:

1. Get 40 Outdoorsman. Outdoorsman is a must-have skill for new characters IMO, anyway.
2. Go to Modoc. If someone is pking, you will have to wait or try to dodge him.
3. Get a knife. If you don't have one, pick some of the fruit at modoc to buy one.
4. Make 11 rope, using the fiber plant and workbench at modoc. You will make less if you picked fruit.
5. Trade 10 rope for 10 brahmin hides at one of the vendors there.
6. Make a tent.

repeat every 20 minutes for 1100 caps each time.

Or,

1. Get 40 Science.
2. Get a sledgehammer. If you can't, gather flint to make 4 or 5 primitive tools.
3. Mine stuff.
4. Make metal parts/gunpowder.
5. Find a vendor that has brahmin hides and trade for 10 of them.
6. Make a tent.

repeat every 20 minutes for 1080 caps each time.

There, two easy ways you can get a tent within the first ten minutes of playing. Whatever you do, though, don't shovel shit. That's pointless. And remember that NCR is one of the most dangerous cities.

Kanly

• The future is today, worry about it tomorrow!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:14:53 am »

Now for xp there are many good quest, you get you second and third level very easy, after this don't come near ncr, stay away for a bit, pks love going in circle near where they think there is the easy prey, get your tent (the pillory suggestion are good) and make xp , come in Ncr when you have some level and want to talk (come without a loot worthy a prince ransom, not a wise idea) or interact with people (it is one of the more populated city, so it is one of the most dangerous, people often is the same that danger in fonline) .

You say that you don't want any help from other player, but that you want a more easy game.
You must understand that all here in this forum have started as you and we like this game because it was hard, so if you want it more easy accept help and have fun, but don't ask to us to say that we need a more easy game, the true is that the major number of us have made more char after reaching the lvl 21, because the first level are the more harder and fun.

(I usually when reach the 17 or 18 give them to my friends)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:17:48 am by Kanly »

Metal Avalon

• heathens will fall
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:34:21 am »

And the massive flaw that needs fixing is none of this was obvious. Gentlemen, thank you for the discussion.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:27:40 am »

You say you played right? Wrong. You should've killed the cows first. Turn-based, beat them to death with the hands god gave you, hit and run two or three encounters and you're done.

Wrong.

Another character enters your encounter and shoots you while you are in TB. Lose 9 Hides. Start again.
Quote from: LittleDragon
I play this game purely to kill such people that think they can play the game safely and never get killed. You expect fun from this game? No fun. Gonna find you and kill you, and shit on your dead body. I'm going online to find more noobs :D

Metal Avalon

• heathens will fall
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 08:06:39 am »

From what I've seen this game looses more players than it has because of how hard it is to start. It's either going to need to cater to the handful of elitists who can't stand the fact the game is possible for someone who hasn't spent 6 years on the internet in a fallout community or get a bit easier for newbs.

Pandemon

• The GM-eater
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:11:14 am »

It's getting easier only when you join any bigger gang.
I was playing as a loner for 2 months and later I've joined RDA, now it's quite well.

PS
You can try joining RDA even if you just started here ;)
There is nothing as demotivating as the Game Masters

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 27 queries.