"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 03:22:29 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Postapo Diploma Work (assistance appreciated:)  (Read 3311 times)

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
A Postapo Diploma Work (assistance appreciated:)
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:36 am »

Hey there
I'm currently making (read: desperately finishing to make it in time) a rather dull diploma work on english linguistics. The topic is the word "end" and it semantic field (no, you do not need to know what the hell does that mean ;D).

Without beating around the bush: I need a little help. A very simple thing. All you have to do is to answer these questions:
(yeah, the question is kinda stupid and most answers rather obvious, but I NEED to have some feedback from english users to support my thesis)

I. Can (in your opinion) the following phrases mean "The end of the world":
1. Armaggedon
2. Apocalypse
3. Ragnarok
4. Last Judgement/ Judgement Day
5. End time/End times/End of days (that's from scientology  8))
6. Doom
7. Doomsday

II Are (in your opinion) the following phrases synonymous to the noun "end":
1. Armaggedon
2. Apocalypse
3. Ragnarok
4. Last Judgement/ Judgement Day
5. End time/End times/End of days (that's still from scientology  ;D)
6. Doom
7. Doomsday

(note: "synonymous" means that you can make ANY sentence in which changing a word does not change the meaning. If you consider that sentences:
"Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies and brought an end to us all"
"Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies and brought us the Apocalypse"
If you think that those sentences mean the same, then for you "end" and "Apocalypse" are synonymous. Simple, right?)

How to answer:

Anyhow. You can PM me, you can post it here. You can write:

I  1yes/no 2yes/no(...)
II 1yes/no (...)

you can write:
 "yes, yes, no, yes, no, yes, no / yes, no yes no (...)

hell, you can even write "all yes"" or "all no"

Just remember to state if you are a native english speaker or not. If you are not, please, answer those questions. If english IS your native language, please answer those questions, then persuade your girlfiend into answering them, then your parents, siblings, neightbours, your fonline gang and your dog... (if he reacts to "heel" we can assume he is speaking english, right? :D

Why the hell do I need that
I've picked linguistics 'cos I didn't really had a choice  :-[ I picked 'end' 'cos I thought it can be interesting. And then I started writing and realised that NO GODDAMN DICTIONARY MENTIONS ANY LINKS BETWEEN THE "END" OR "END OF THE WORLD" AND OUR BELOVED ARMAGGEDONS AND APOCALYPSES!!!!!111ONEONEONE... Heck, to write anything about what I like I have to have some proof that such connection exist. Help me prove it (or prove me I'm wrong).

And thanks.  :)

EDIT:

Thanks to everyone voting, I hope there will be more  :)

Hm... there is a little discussion about synonyms here. In my position, I cannot persuade anybody into my point of view, and I can't bore you to death with linguistic definitions...
...but I think I can clear things a bit by providing you with a little list of what words are already IN the thesauri as established synonyms of the noun "end":

FINISH, EXTREMITY, REMAINDER, AIM, RESULT, DEATH, PART, CONCLUSION, FINALE, CULMINATION, CONSEQUENCE, BOUNDARY, DESTRUCTION, EXTERMINATION, GOAL (...)
(that's only a small part, in my thesis there is a total number of 78 synonyms... and that's still not all  8))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:30:29 am by DrapiChrust »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
Re: A Postapo Diploma Work (assistance appreciated:)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:39:55 am »

I live in American, I am American, so I do speak English.

All yes.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 03:02:03 am »

for the first block yes, for the second block I wouldn't think so. Those are a specific type of end. For example, "Wait until the end of the show" is not the same as "Wait until the Armageddon of the show"
"Sorry for the inconvenience."  God

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 03:05:54 am »

for the first block yes, for the second block I wouldn't think so. Those are a specific type of end. For example, "Wait until the end of the show" is not the same as "Wait until the Armageddon of the show"
but it could! ;D.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:35:53 am »

but it could! ;D.
Maybe for like a season finale, but for one episode of a show I don't think it would make sense
"Sorry for the inconvenience."  God
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:52 am »

I. Can (in your opinion) the following phrases mean "The end of the world":
1. Armageddon (Armageddon is a hill in Israel not an event.)
2. Apocalypse (Revelations of hidden knowledge, not the end of the world.)
3. Ragnarok (Final battle followed by rebirth, I guess an end in a very temporary sense.)
4. Last Judgement/ Judgement Day (When the resurrected get sent to hell, not really the end to anything.)
5. End time/End times/End of days (that's from scientology  Cool) (Sure, it does have "end" in there and is pretty vague.)
6. Doom (According to the dictionary it means the end of the world as well but I've never heard it used as such.)
7. Doomsday (Means the same thing as judgment day)

II Are (in your opinion) the following phrases synonymous to the noun "end":
1. Armaggedon - no
2. Apocalypse - no
3. Ragnarok - no
4. Last Judgement/ Judgement Day -no
5. End time/End times/End of days (that's still from scientology  Grin) -no
6. Doom - no
7. Doomsday - no

Also:End time, End times, or End of days are the eschatological  writings in the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. So yeah the hubologists ripped them off.

I'm a native English speaker.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:53:11 am by Roachor »

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:28:55 am »

Part "I" of your question would be answer all yes to me, even if that isn't what they literally mean. When someone says the Apocalypse is coming, and then another person is saying Armageddon is coming, they really are just saying the end of the world, even if that isn't correct in the actual religions that use the words that have become popular in speech.

Part "II" of your question would be no, because the word "end" has many different meanings. By what you consider a synonym, then those terms should be able to work with any sentence that has the word "end" in it.

Here are some example of where it would not work:
End of a rope.
End of the story.
-You wouldn't say "Judgment day" of a rope, or the "Doom" of the story.

I  speak English native.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 11:29:27 am »

Thanks to everyone voting, I hope there will be more  :)

Hm... there is a little discussion about synonyms here. In my position, I cannot persuade anybody into my point of view, and I can't bore you to death with linguistic definitions...
...but I think I can clear things a bit by providing you with a little list of what words are already IN the thesauri as established synonyms of the noun "end":

FINISH, EXTREMITY, REMAINDER, AIM, RESULT, DEATH, PART, CONCLUSION, FINALE, CULMINATION, CONSEQUENCE, BOUNDARY, DESTRUCTION, EXTERMINATION, GOAL (...)
(that's only a small part, in my thesis there is a total number of 78 synonyms... and that's still not all  8))
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 07:10:19 pm »

Just because they can be replaced in some cases doesn't mean they can be used interchangeably, if that was the case we would only have one word.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 18 queries.