"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 11, 2024, 05:48:34 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why you hate (or love) Fallout 3  (Read 5954 times)

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
Why you hate (or love) Fallout 3
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:32:29 pm »

I've been here long enough to know that most of the community absolutely despises Fallout 3 and Bethesda. I want to know why exactly you feel like this. Or if you're one of the few who likes Fallout 3, say why.

I mean for me, it's definitely not better than 2 and especially not better than FO (never played the 1st or tactics), but I'm thankful it even came out because I had no idea what Fallout was until I played 3. And it was still pretty cool going through DC, especially if you've actually been there before. And ffs the map was fucking huge and there was nearly unlimited things to do. And even if it is the worst in the series, which would actually be pretty good, it's leading to New Vegas, which looks more promising than 3 AND has some of the original crew working on it

Knowing what I know now, they did screw up some things, and the atmosphere was a bit weak IMO. Also the combat was a bit weird and I didn't like the level cap. Yes, we all wish van Buren had turned into the real F3, but it simply couldn't happen. Would you rather F3 not have been made and the series ended with Tactics or whatever came last after F2? I know I wouldn't have liked that.
Re: Why you hate (or love) Fallout 3
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:40:58 pm »

The game was buggy as hell, lack of aimed melee shots, badly designed combat system, can't kill kids, failed attempt at recreating fallout 1/2 humour, the fact its just an oblivion full conversion mod, useless weapons, annoying repair system, ugly brown/grey environment pretty much everywhere, cut and paste landscape, annoying voice actors, super linear expansions and ludicrously unbalanced damage/health ratio in point lookout. That being said I bought every expansion the night it came out. I hated it more until i replayed fallout 2 and realized that I was remembering it being better than it was. It's a great compared to the crap released on consoles that year but it still wasn't Black Isle levels of quality. I'm feeling optimistic about new vegas though.

bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »

I actually enjoyed playing f3 very much but there are alot of things to complain about when it comes to comparing to other fallout games. The story is a bit so so :/ and even if the map is huge and all that, towns really suck... i mean come on, MEGA!!!town consists of what? 30 citizens? or BIG!!!town that consists of maybe <10 citizens.. OR Arefu that got like 5 people  ::)

But even if it lacked some stuff here and there I enjoyed playing it and I enjoyed it even more so with all the mods from the falllout nexus forum, damn, I downloaded like 200+ mods there :P probably around 300 >.> many good mods that made me play it for a looooooooong time. (also very easy gameplay - just set stimpacks to shortkey 1 - start to kill and when your low on hp just spam heal :P)

So yes, I enjoyed it but for me it doesn't match up to fallout 1,2 or tactics (yes i like tactics very much) and do play fallout 1, great game and play tactics if you got the time, the story in tactics is nowhere as good as in f1,2 but the gameplay is fun.

//edit
The game was buggy as hell, lack of aimed melee shots, badly designed combat system, can't kill kids, , the fact its just an oblivion full conversion mod
there was lots of mods that could correct these things (not all things but it defenetly improved gameplay alot)

failed attempt at recreating fallout 1/2 humour
agreed!
useless weapons, annoying repair system, ugly brown/grey environment pretty much everywhere
once again, mods that corrected lots of things.
cut and paste landscape, annoying voice actors, super linear expansions and ludicrously unbalanced damage/health ratio in point lookout.
mhm, just like in oblivion I aggrod on the voice actors :P I would much rather have text floating in mid air instead of having to listen to the same voice from 30 different npc:s >.< and the expansions are boring :( You go there, spend maybe 2 hours there and then never come back... and you don't get anything special from there, maybe a few guns that sucks anyway.

It's a great compared to the crap released on consoles that year but it still wasn't Black Isle levels of quality. I'm feeling optimistic about new vegas though.
(get it on pc so you can get mods! without them f3 is kinda poor) and i am too feeling a bit optimistic about new vegas, but I will not get my hopes up too much.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:43:20 pm by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:03 pm »

Yeah fallout 1/2 was all about towns and npc interaction, fallout 3 was devoid of any of that. You have like 3 decent shops and 2 "towns" with a handfull of people in them.

Also in response to bik I have it on 360, my pc is a netbook and I'd rather spend 200 hours of gameplay on my couch facing a big tv than hunched over a keyboard. Mods are great and all but if your game is only good with a ton of mods you've failed at making a game.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:10:11 am by Roachor »

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:06:59 am »

I hate F3. Why? Even if I would ignore technicalities such as engine/graphic same as wannabe RPG features then the game itself is stupid. Literally its seems like was written over night. Stupid quests, even more stupid dialogues, awful characters, illogical environment and so on and so on... If the game content comes in quality we are used to from original games, then everything technical could be forgiven. But Bethe$da raped Fallout. Yet they've hit the jackpot and its almost scary how so simple (meant in any negative way of the word simple) game can attract so many people to buy and enjoy it. I've spent something about 9 hours playing it and on the 3rd day of my ownership of original copy I've managed to sell it. Also I've found out, that I've ended like 1 hour away from finishing the game completely. When I remember where I could get during first 10 hours on my 1st playthrough of F1/2 and compare it to F3 then the only thing I get as a result is: WTF?!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:09:42 am by Sius »
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 01:12:48 am »

I hate F3. Why? Even if I would ignore technicalities such as engine/graphic same as wannabe RPG features then the game itself is stupid. Literally its seems like was written over night. Stupid quests, even more stupid dialogues, awful characters, illogical environment and so on and so on... If the game content comes in quality we are used to from original games, then everything technical could be forgiven. But Bethe$da raped Fallout. Yet they've hit the jackpot and its almost scary how so simple (meant in any negative way of the word simple) game can attract so many people to buy and enjoy it. I've spent something about 9 hours playing it and on the 3rd day of my ownership of original copy I've managed to sell it. Also I've found out, that I've ended like 1 hour away from finishing the game completely. When I remember where I could get during first 10 hours on my 1st playthrough of F1/2 and compare it to F3 then the only thing I get as a result is: WTF?!

To be fair fallout 2 can be beaten in a matter of minutes if you know where to go, but yeah making the main quest the shortest quest chain was pretty stupid. It's the same everywhere, take something people are nostalgic about and make a fast buck off it with some crap. Just look at all the movie remakes/reboots like transformers.

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:20 am »

To be fair fallout 2 can be beaten in a matter of minutes if you know where to go, but yeah making the main quest the shortest quest chain was pretty stupid. It's the same everywhere, take something people are nostalgic about and make a fast buck off it with some crap. Just look at all the movie remakes/reboots like transformers.

I believe fastrun of F2 is something about 17 minutes. But I'm talking about 1st contact with the game. I did not have any guidance through F3 but I almost finished it without even knowing that. Show me someone who never played F1/2 and will be able to finish the game in less than 20 hours. Its almost impossible since there are too many interesting places to explore, too many catchy dialogues to read, too many things to try out... On the other hand F3 felt like one linear line and when the initial excitement run off it turned out to be incredibly boring and dull game.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:36:22 am by Sius »
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:06 am »

I spent over 200 hours exploring all the locations in f3 and i'm still not done. The problem is the only thing worth exploring for is the unique guns and most of them aren't even worth using, otherwise it's just vast stretches of the same shit with lame little text blurbs scattered about.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 02:02:40 am »

You are not through it, because you avoid the main quest. If you wouldn't do this, you would have seen the endscreen after approx 10 hours or even less.

Also exploring shit in Fallout 3 is useless timewaste, as everything looks either the same or offers the same stimpaks and bottlecaps and other crap. Only in very very few cases, you find some unique items (which you will not use anyway, most likely).

From story and lore point of view, the whole game is a big piece of shit.

And that you can finish Fallout 2 in less than 20 minutes, just speaks for the game. It is so big and offers a lot content, still you can avoid nearly everything if you know where to look. In Fallout 3, you are rail lined through the whole main quest, from beginning to the end.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:06:46 am by Lexx »

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 01:32:28 pm »

Fallout 3 is playable game (if you have newest updates and unoffical too then it never crash),but Fallout 2 is loooots better than Fallout 3.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 05:51:43 pm »

I hate the game because:
 * It doesn't run on my computer (my video card is too old)
 * It is a FPS, not RPG like fallout 1/2
 * It was made by Betheseda
 * Betheseda later bought IDsoftware, that's why Betheseda is shit
 * There are very much negative comments about the game
 * It's no more turnbased
 * It is shit.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:54 pm »

I hate the game because:
 * It's no more turnbased
 * It is shit.

You "hate" a game because there are other people pulling negative comments out, or because a certain company made it?
Well...
Not that I love the game, but those aren't arguments there, dude.

Fallout 3 had it's moments. But as a Fallout game, it fails COMPLETELY. In most of the moments, it even fails as a game. FPS elements were badly executed, same as "RPG" moments. It was mediocre at best. Some ideas were good, some seem to be written down by some janitors at bethesdas office when they were drunk.

And "the game has good mods" is no excuse for me. I don't want to install player created stuff on a game that should be good from the beginning. (also, seeing those manga crap and nude patches on Nexus often makes me nearly commit suicide).

Sius

• Sheep EX machina!
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 07:20:56 pm »

And "the game has good mods" is no excuse for me. I don't want to install player created stuff on a game that should be good from the beginning. (also, seeing those manga crap and nude patches on Nexus often makes me nearly commit suicide).

I find that the only entertaining thing about F3. Without shitload of mods and unofficial updates the game is a disaster (and we are talking about literary hundreds of mods here). But Bethe$da certainly managed to beat the living shit out of it. I mean sell such product with such success is something beyond ordinary mans powers.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »

Maybe there are some gems of modding hidden between all this crap on FO3 nexxus, but that doesn't change the fact. One can fix the bugs, or mod them to be a bit better. But if the main content is fucked up, that won't change a thing.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »

Well, even if the game is crap... Theres something more pathetic than that. Really pathetic. This:
I hate the game because:
 * It's no more turnbased
 * It is shit.
I give a fuck.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.