"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 06, 2024, 07:55:53 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog

Poll

What do you think (even if you dont like my ideas, would you like more tatical thinking and combat options)

I love to have more combat choices providing more tatical thinking
Not for sure, some ideas sound intresting
not for sure
no, I like straight forward combat with low options

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Add More Tactical Choices & Balance  (Read 1887 times)

Add More Tactical Choices & Balance
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:31:25 am »

(my grammar not the best, sometimes type one thing , think another, but please read through it, if something don't make sense just say so I'll correct it or make sense of it.)

As right now the system is pretty straight forward. Blow off the other guys head. Its hardly not even paper rock scissors system. Not saying make it system were one thing counters another. Maybe there should be counters to a degree but not were one completely over shadows another. I like see the game become more of chess , were you think on what you do and how you do it. The way you do this is add more options in battle. So am going list some ideas for this subject. I also encourage you to post your thoughts and even ideas that you have to bring to the table.

Smoke Grenade :  This will create smoke cloud providing cover. This would block your view  of whats on the other side pass it.
It last short duration of time. In turn base combat duration be base on complete revolution of turn base cycle, after so many turn base cycles it would fade away. In  RT it be base on set amount of seconds. You also might consider add ability that person could shoot throw the smoke. What I mean about this is I could  aim some were and shoot. If I am lucky I might hit somebody that I cant see. This make smoke not completely safe to prevent from being overpowered. This give bursting and explosive also another use because they be more effective against smoke grenades.

Nerve Gas Grenade :  This would create gas that have an effect. This could be made in many different ways.This could lower some max Ap while standing in it. It could lower your hit chance while standing in it. You could take damage over time while in it. It even could knock your guy out if you don't move out of it. You could have it do combination of these things. I could see people using it for two things. One it be use to make people want to move out of an area. Two you could use it to block area so people would not cross this area.

Land Mine/claymores/Traps : Basically trap you walk over it or by it and it would explode doing some damage. ( probably not allowed to be use in town) Skill trapper could disable them and pick them up. But thats if he notices them because wont be easy to spot. If fails disabling then boom.

Riot Shield : This would be weapon and also a shield. It would have melee option and a block option. The block option main point of it. Say at then end of your turn as cost some Ap you could set it to block. The direction you face would reduce damage of incoming attacks from that direction. Would not be very effect vs some weapons like explosives. Maybe even shotguns or some other stuff.

Flare gun/stick : When you use this item on the map a circle would appear. This would let people enter your map (would not work in tents or bases) . Only people so close to the area on the map could see it. The circle would vanish after short time.
People would use this if things look grim to try mix things up or even get help. People also use it  for trapping people. I'm not sure would add it but neat idea think about. Might fit the game or not.

These things would add more options in battle. You would have to think on what move you do. Not saying all the ideas above is the best thing ever. But I think there needs be more option in battle so you can make more tactical choices.

Here list some ideas for balance.

Snipers rifles : Here something to consider. Sniper scoped weapon for long range combat. In game currently its amazingly powerful with critical hits. Well not here to say nerf it because its overpower. I do think snipers should have good critical hit ability maybe change how critical works. Every weapon should have its strength and weakness. This would provide more Tactical thinking. So here how I rework in general idea. The formula for hit chance is negative so much percent  per hex. So if negative is -4 per hex at 10 hexes you have -40%. Well for sniper I make it work different. The sniper has range of 50 hexes, I would have at 30 hexes -30% every hex pass that would add -3%. If you get closer then 30 hexes it also add -3%.
When you get say to 25 hexes the penalty would increase to -5%. When it gets to 20 hexes it be -6%. Then when you get to  15 hexes it jump up to -8%. There also increase the natural penalty of aiming at body parts as you get closer. Maybe even critical chance penalty as person gets closer. There point to this am about to explain.  The reason its negative at 30 is that it  takes some skill to shoot gun in first place. As something gets farther out its gets harder to hit but you can easily make the difference with skill points. So sniper is good with medium to long range combat. Now hitting something with scope sniper rifle up close becomes hard. The penalty great enough that skill sniper will not fair so well up close. In conclusion the sniper would be powerful at killing people from far but weak up close. Sniper would try stay from far , people fight sniper would try get close. If some one gets close sniper could flip to different weapon. This would provide bunch of tactical options for both ends. The math I use in this would not have to be that , its just example to get the basic idea of it to you.

Knock down: well knock down is something in game I think needs to be change. I think once your knock down you cant be knock down again while on the ground and for short duration after you get back up. Maybe you could even have it were being shot will make you get up faster.

Stone wall perk: this pose to resist knock down but don't resist knock down from critical hits table which this should be change.

Shot guns : I notice all burst modes at point blank does super amount of damage. Because like all your bullets hit. Well with shot guns this range should be increase little maybe to 4-5 hexes away (depending on shotgun to). This way shotguns become more powerful weapon up close like there pose to be.

Explosive rounds : I make this type shotgun shell, it has little splash damage explosion and chance of knock down. This also be great vs armor guys. Also make regular shotgun shells better vs unarmored guys.

This some ideas, they maybe some good enough to use or not. please comment on it. I like see what devs think about some of this. When you think of this try even think improvements on what I put out here or ideas of your own. I am trying give  ideas for combat to be more balance and add tactical options.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:58:37 am by Cheezy »
Re: Add More Tactical Choices & Balance
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:51:14 pm »

any thoughts?

Drakonis

• Oh oh this is furtile...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:21 pm »

about the flares part. you can allreayd send a distress signal from your radio. The location/encoutner becomes visible on world map for everybody. :D/

Also don't expect devs adding new weapons/equipement any soon. They don't really plan adding new stuff for now. Also it will be possible after we hit the 2.5d era. maybe then you should suggest the shields and stuff.. could be cool

Also I belive that Stone wall actually CAN make you avoid being knocked down by a critical hit(50% chance). You confused me tho, can anyone confirm this?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:30:58 pm by Drakonis »
"But... Isn't Betty a womans name...?"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 01:29:00 am »

well know they probably wont add any new items for while. But just putting this all out on table.

As the flare thing differences is that everyone can see it. Radio you have to have a radio and be on the right channel.
Flare also only pears only to people close to it on the map and its circle appears for short time.

Far the critical hit goes, from what I was told stone wall does not prevent knock downs from the critical hit table.
Just prevents someone hitting you regular and knocking you down. This don't happen much unless you use knock down weapon like rocket launcher.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:24:54 am by Cheezy »
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 06:02:35 pm »

See more people voted, but thought be more post then this, :D guess lot people hate reading big post

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:46 am »

Voted for the first option. But! Please think about that this is just a a game, run by atleast 6-7 persons. It just takes time to include all this stuff.
As I said, I'd love to see more tactical options ingame. But it's just not possible to make everything as quick as possible as the manpower is limited.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:45:59 am »

I can under stand that , I just like put ideas in there hands.
Thanks for post your thoughts

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:49:11 am »

It's ok. ;)
It's just for the record - posted suggestions tend to not be in the game in the next update. :P

Drakonis

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:38:59 pm »

well know they probably wont add any new items for while. But just putting this all out on table.

As the flare thing differences is that everyone can see it. Radio you have to have a radio and be on the right channel.
Flare also only pears only to people close to it on the map and its circle appears for short time.

Far the critical hit goes, from what I was told stone wall does not prevent knock downs from the critical hit table.
Just prevents someone hitting you regular and knocking you down. This don't happen much unless you use knock down weapon like rocket launcher.

but i had stonewall and I THINK i've been hit with knockdown critical, got "knocked down message" but I was still standing. It seems that my 50% chance to avoid knockdown worked.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:21:03 pm »

I would suggest to make explosives and traps more useful. Anything make maps more interactive is good plus you will revive a dead skill.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:23:47 pm »

I would suggest to make explosives and traps more useful. Anything make maps more interactive is good plus you will revive a dead skill.
And more at fun at NCR! I want to plant lots mines at bank and workbrench! No! At spawn points! People come to NCR and when loading screen disappears they see peices of thier body!

Drakonis

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 01:51:03 pm »

And more at fun at NCR! I want to plant lots mines at bank and workbrench! No! At spawn points! People come to NCR and when loading screen disappears they see peices of thier body!

Solution: guards should be good at detectin such activity. They spot you, they kill you, they loot you, and you get HUGE reputation penalty so you can't really enter that town again. Also setting a mine/explosives with no proper traps skill would make u explode/fail so forget about lvl 2 alts planting traps at spawn points. on top of that: make it impossible to plant mines/traps on spawn tiles.

What im saying here is: Yes, traps need a rework. it would be awesome to have more tactical options :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:52:51 pm by Drakonis »

avv

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:32:47 pm »

I love to have more combat choices providing more tatical thinking. But this can be done in many ways, like improving the combat system iteself. Toning down damages and crits would immediately bring more balance and tactical choices because people didn't die so fast.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:21 pm »

critical are over power, one guy even hit me with 200 damage one shot. Anybody with any weapon can shoot you keep you on the ground for ever. critical so overpower take away from everything whats point being anything else. Its so overpowered breaks the game. I think critical could have role in game. They just need to change how they work.

Maybe there should be critical resistant, maybe have it on armors,perks,special stats.
For exmaple anytime you add critical resistant like 10%. The math could be set up two ways.
-10 to critical hit roll,  or  increase the roll require for critical +10, would make 110.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:29:41 pm »

critical are over power, one guy even hit me with 200 damage one shot. Anybody with any weapon can shoot you keep you on the ground for ever. critical so overpower take away from everything whats point being anything else. Its so overpowered breaks the game. I think critical could have role in game. They just need to change how they work.

Maybe there should be critical resistant, maybe have it on armors,perks,special stats.
For exmaple anytime you add critical resistant like 10%. The math could be set up two ways.
-10 to critical hit roll,  or  increase the roll require for critical +10, would make 110.

May be criticals are irritating, but when there was big group fights, BGers rules all fight. All I was doing is dealing 50-60 damage (.223 pistol vs metal mk2) and knock downs, sometimes crippling hands. But one guy with BG+Jet=lots bursts per turn can go through all map and burst you in pointblank using covers or rooms (in urban location).
I suggest to be able to intercept turns, if you have enough AP unspent and depends on sequence. So after each action in your FoV, there will be roll on actor's sequence and your sequence to be able to intercept turn and do action. Because jet-junkies can move too fast to cover and you simply can't do anything.
And of couse I afraid more BGers than snipers. In TB encounters they rule. May be on great distances in TC snipers with 50 distance are better, but falloutish fights in TB on 20-30 distance and buildings/rooms are good for BG users, they rules there, and sniper just have to hope on real life luck, that thier crit will cripple BG's hand or even insta-kill in eyes, if not, then you're dead.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 24 queries.