"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • October 06, 2024, 05:22:58 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Temporary solution to disappearing Followers  (Read 815 times)

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
Temporary solution to disappearing Followers
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:11:56 pm »

I realise that dealing with 'evaporating' followers is a complex matter. Some problems (like vanishing when player leaves the game on the world map) bugs us ever since the followers were introduced. It will also probably take a lot of time before the matter will be dealt with, so...

So I think there should be some way of returnig lost followers introduced for the time untill NPCs disappearance stops to be the problem. I don't know much about scripting (nothing at all to be honest), but I think there could be some kind of 'returning' command included. Maybe a command to 'save' the Follower info at your tent/base, so if he will vanish (but not die), another command could restore him in your tent? Of course there should be some limitation to this, to prevent exploits (teleporting cows to tent instead of bringing them back on foot, multiplying items by saving the fully equipped merc and deliberatly loosing him when he has nothing on them)...

I.E. such 'recall' command probably should have some kind of timeout (can be used once every 48hours?) and would involve loosing merc's stuff and bringing back his HP back to the time he was saved, but it still would be SOME WAY to not loose them completely

It could look like that:
1.Every merc/slave has it's owner id info added, when enslaved/bought/sold
2.You enter the tent/base with an black HtH guy. You talk to him, press say and type ~savenpc. This saves NPC id and info about him. Then later you can - while being in the same tent/base type ~restorenpc - the game checks if any of the saved NPCs still exists and then if any of them has your id. If yes, it deletes him and create a copy based on the info form when he was saved the last time (so basically, you get your merc/slave/animal the way it was while saved for the last time).
--------
Or include any other way of getting them back. Any.
Re: Temporary solution to disappearing Followers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:02:13 pm »

I'd like a system where you get followers for free and train them up from shitty to useful.

If they die/disappear, they disappear for a few hours and then appear later in a random encounter with the standard "I WAS JUST WOUNDED, YOU ASSHOLE. THANKS FOR LEAVING ME IN THE DESERT TO DIE. Okay fine I guess I'll start following you again you do look pretty badass in that leather jacket."
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »

I'd like a system where you get followers for free and train them up from shitty to useful.

If they die/disappear, they disappear for a few hours and then appear later in a random encounter with the standard "I WAS JUST WOUNDED, YOU ASSHOLE. THANKS FOR LEAVING ME IN THE DESERT TO DIE. Okay fine I guess I'll start following you again you do look pretty badass in that leather jacket."

+1 ( looooool that was funny ), but they shouldn't be for free, unless you do some quest in which you save his life or sth, and I totally agree about training your companion ( like it was in d2 or just fallout ).
Accidentally I found this yesterday:
http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Dogmeat_-_Stage_1
http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Dogmeat_-_Stage_2
http://fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Dogmeat_-_Stage_6
You could implement these for some companions.

As for solution, I see it this way:
When you have your follower - you talk to him sth like that: "If something bad happens and we get divided, meet me at the base/tent/town* etc.
" ... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you ... " - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://forum.newfmc.pl/ - Nieoficjalne 'Polskie Pustkowia'
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:29 pm »

Here's a question to the devs, is companion levelling up possible?

DrapiChrust

• . . . SAY CHEESE . . .
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »

Kinda. My last merc (which simply disappeared in the end, of course :/) started with about 80hp and just before she 'was evaporated' her HP was 105. Dunno about her skills though.

But that's not the topic. Be so nice and comment on the dissapearing followers, thank you

When you have your follower - you talk to him sth like that: "If something bad happens and we get divided, meet me at the base/tent/town* etc.

I'm more concerned about how this is going to work than how it is going to look. Now the GMs can do nothing but "find and kill them" (quoting Jovanka), so I understand the problem is about lack of connection betwen Merc (NPC) and his boss (PC). Especially that PCs are disappearing when logged out and the followers stay in game 24/7. If there were some kind of fixed connection encrypted into the follower - like the coordinates of his owners tent, there would be a way to 'send them back' or create their copy while deleting the original by using simple command.

I know that the goal is to make NPCs NOT disappear without a reason. But about a year has passed since followers were added, and we're not a step closer to that goal. That's why there must be some kind of restoring effects of followers bug when they appear. Not only making it less screwed as ~disbandnpc does.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:38:34 pm by DrapiChrust »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.