"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 07, 2024, 10:08:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for advice.  (Read 3312 times)

Looking for advice.
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »

I figured that while the servers are in the april fools mess I'd ask for some advice. Been playing fonline for only 3 days so bare with me. :)

1) lvling
I read the wiki and forums a bit, which was a great help to start out. Did some quests, crafted a bit, killed some mobs. Now I'm lvl 6 and lvling speed starts to slow down from crafting with limited weight capacity and killing mobs in random encounters around NCR.
Searched around for a lvling guide after early starting out but couldn't find one. So does anyone have a link to one for me?
I'm looking for something that gives some general pointers near what area to do random encounters for certain lvls. Or what zones there are where mobs of a certain lvl spawn on a regular basis if there is such thing in fonline.

2) big guns
I'm a big guns build that for now has been running around mostly solely with a shotgun blowing brahim heads off at point blank range. Figured that it's about time to finally switch to the big guns. With under 1k caps buying a decent big gun + ammo ain't an option, so crafting my own it is. Leaves 2 options, making a rocket launcher + rockets or a flamer + fuel.
Rocket launcher doesn't seem a very efficient lvling tool as I think I'd be spending a lot more time crafting rockets then actual killing mobs. Not to mention that so far whenever I went looking for electronic parts in Vault 15 I would be pked by guys with mini guns at the entrance.
So I made a flamer and gathered fruits for rot gut to craft fuel. I read in another thread here that to craft rot gut you need either acces to a faction base still, which I don't have as a newbie, or use the still in the east of the hub. Problem is that whatever I try on the still it doesn't seem to work. Tried holding my left mouse button then selecting wood then fruit and tried using wood and fruit in my active slots on the still. No booze for me so far.
Anyone can advice me on this?

3) turn-based
Is it correct if I say that only before you enter a special encounter you get to choose to play in turn-based, every other combat situation/random encounter is allways in real-time. Or are there other times you get to choose to switch to turn-based?

4) selecting a target
While playing in real-time I find it nearly impossible to click on moving critters/people to fire my gun or use an action on them. I don't have that problem when they stand still. Is the game meant this way, is it just me or is there another way to select a target?

That's it for Q's I have for now, though more might follow. :D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:42:05 pm by Oldfart »
Re: Looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 06:08:31 pm »

I figured that while the servers are in the april fools mess I'd ask for some advice. Been playing fonline for only 3 days so bare with me. :)

1) lvling
I read the wiki and forums a bit, which was a great help to start out. Did some quests, crafted a bit, killed some mobs. Now I'm lvl 6 and lvling speed starts to slow down from crafting with limited weight capacity and killing mobs in random encounters around NCR.
Searched around for a lvling guide after early starting out but couldn't find one. So does anyone have a link to one for me?
I'm looking for something that gives some general pointers near what area to do random encounters for certain lvls. Or what zones there are where mobs of a certain lvl spawn on a regular basis if there is such thing in fonline.

2) big guns
I'm a big guns build that for now has been running around mostly solely with a shotgun blowing brahim heads off at point blank range. Figured that it's about time to finally switch to the big guns. With under 1k caps buying a decent big gun + ammo ain't an option, so crafting my own it is. Leaves 2 options, making a rocket launcher + rockets or a flamer + fuel.
Rocket launcher doesn't seem a very efficient lvling tool as I think I'd be spending a lot more time crafting rockets then actual killing mobs. Not to mention that so far whenever I went looking for electronic parts in Vault 15 I would be pked by guys with mini guns at the entrance.
So I made a flamer and gathered fruits for rot gut to craft fuel. I read in another thread here that to craft rot gut you need either acces to a faction base still, which I don't have as a newbie, or use the still in the east of the hub. Problem is that whatever I try on the still it doesn't seem to work. Tried holding my left mouse button then selecting wood then fruit and tried using wood and fruit in my active slots on the still. No booze for me so far.
Anyone can advice me on this?

3) turn-based
Is it correct if I say that only before you enter a special encounter you get to choose to play in turn-based, every other combat situation/random encounter is allways in real-time. Or are there other times you get to choose to switch to turn-based?

4) selecting a target
While playing in real-time I find it nearly impossible to click on moving critters/people to fire my gun or use an action on them. I don't have that problem when they stand still. Is the game meant this way, is it just me or is there another way to select a target?

That's it for Q's I have for now, though more might follow. :D

1) Figuring this out is part of the fun :)
2) There are some non-functional stills on the east side of the main hub area.  You need to go to "Old Town" which requires zoning east from the main area.  The still is in a building (with doors) in the middle of that area.
3) If you select TB, you "mostly" get a choice when starting encounters.  All static areas will force you into realtime combat.
4) I hate realtime, so can't help you there.

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world -- Those who understand binary and those who don't.

virus341

• +5 AC perk. Fck yeah!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:04:09 pm »

1. Figuring this out is part of the fun (c)
3.You can run FOConfig.exe or some kind (dont remember exactly) and set your default combat mode as turn-based, so every enc you will start in tb.
4. Practice makes perfect :) And its still hard to me to target some enemy in, for example: brahmins vs mantis vs scorpions vs geckos encouters. (but i hate TB more, so...)

btw you are one of the most perfect newbies for a long time i guess :) you ask questions and dont whine about how hard the game is, and omg you read first!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:10:31 pm by virus341 »
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »

Thanks for the info all!

And yeah, I hail from years of Shadowbane. Was also open pvp, newbies getting ganked constantly, losing loot and if you weren't read up/had solid knowledge of game mechanics you were a dead man walking. It's what attracts me to Fonline as it's pretty much the same for that matter.
Also explains why I kinda want to lvl as fast as possible on a pvp viable toon. In Shadowbane if you knew what you were doing you were max lvl and geared in a day.
End-game mmo pvp where it's a high-stake battle of builds and tactics is where I get my kicks from. Not many games like that out there.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:59:01 am »

One more question.

I've read it's possible to use drugs to learn proffesions, pvp, etc. But what are the limits on drug useage?
For example; can I use 1 mentats , 2 buffouts and 2 jets at the same time?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:56:36 am »

Leveling guide: Make a big gunner, make a gatling gun, go kill deathclaws and floaters.

VongJin

• Rogues
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:08 am »

Leveling guide: Make a big gunner, make a gatling gun, go kill deathclaws and floaters.

lvling with gatling laser o_O omg madness. i doubt a newbie will have 10000 mfc.

BG - Rocket launcher for centaurs and floaters, LSW for deathclaws
 SG - 223. pistol/ needler for centaurs, deathclaws and floaters
 EW - plasma pistol/rifle for centaurs, deathclaws and floaters
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:34:53 pm »

One more question.

I've read it's possible to use drugs to learn proffesions, pvp, etc. But what are the limits on drug useage?
For example; can I use 1 mentats , 2 buffouts and 2 jets at the same time?

Anyone could answer this?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 08:36:48 pm »

You can use 2 time(and not more) each drug (so you can take 2*jet 2*buffout 2*mentat 2*cig 2*nukacola, but not 3*jet)
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:30 pm »

You can use all the drugs twice. That is, two cigarettes, two buffouts, two jets, two psychos, two mentats, two nuka colas. It all will stack. Theres no total limit on drugs, but theres a limit on each one and that is, as i said, 2. Also, yes, you can use drugs to learn professions.
I give a fuck.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »

You can use all the drugs twice. That is, two cigarettes, two buffouts, two jets, two psychos, two mentats, two nuka colas. It all will stack. Theres no total limit on drugs, but theres a limit on each one and that is, as i said, 2. Also, yes, you can use drugs to learn professions.
eee i tink that the damage reduction from psycho doesnt stack ...if it does then - QQ
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »

I assume it does, but checking to be sure:
If you plan on using jet is 3 str enough for a small guns build as it would add 2 str?

Also, is it possible to use drugs to obtain certain perks? Highly doubt it but checking to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:08:23 pm by Oldfart »

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 11:43:28 pm »

Also, is it possible to use drugs to obtain certain perks? Highly doubt it but checking to be sure.

Not possible, as said in Questions and Answers.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:57 am »

Not possible, as said in Questions and Answers.

Ah sorry, missed that.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:42:09 am »

I assume it does, but checking to be sure:
If you plan on using jet is 3 str enough for a small guns build as it would add 2 str?

Anyone can confirm this?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.