"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 11:57:47 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fine tuning guard looting.  (Read 2023 times)

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
Fine tuning guard looting.
« on: December 31, 2009, 03:50:34 am »

Ok I'm sure im not the only one completely frustrated with guard looting. I think the only applicable situation for this would be if say a person kills a person and the guard loots then holds onto the items for said person, that way the person that got suicide bombed or whatever would get their loot back, at this point the guards looting have created an even larger problem (guards at vault city at gates).
I lost the hydroelectricwhatchamacallit to the guard thats sposed to collect it after he killed me, along with all my other items. this is a one of a kind item and im incredibly frustrated by it.
I get the initial idea of guards looting was to deter theives and suicide bombers but now its only punishing normal people, At this point I think we would all be better off if it went back to the way it was before until refinements can be made to the system that allow the re-acquistion of lost gear, i mean at least if someone killed you to get your gear you had a chance at getting back but now its just lost forever. Also its just not guards looting this is affecting every npc.
plasma nade your face off!
Re: Fine tuning guard looting.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 05:00:28 am »

I kind of like it. There's something bizarrely satisfying about seeing your mercs loot your dead opponents. But then they get lasershot in the eyes for 171 damage in the entrance to Broken Hills. I'll never forget you Anthony.

As for getting killed in towns, it'd be nice if you could speak to a guard and get your stuff back. Or at least a your armour and a few items.

Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:13:16 am »

Hm, I think there are 2 separate issues  described there:
1) Guard looting, which is in fact 'item removal', it's small tested feature that tries to punish players who deliberately were forcing others to kill them/be killed by guards then their 'friends' were taking all the items, but, as many of such features it has got tremendous fallbacks, it may be scrapped soon, we will see.

2) Mercs looting dead opponents, which is part of every-npc AI.

Aricvomit

• Prepare for bowel disruption
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 11:25:15 am »

The only place that people were blocked in really was the bench at NCR and that problem was solved by moving the bench, Item removal doesent actually punish anyone but whoevers item it originally was.
plasma nade your face off!

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:36:09 pm »

Well, there have been enough funny guys who killed people in guarded towns in combination with their friends: One shots a player, kills him and gets shot down by guards. The friend now tries to take the items from both dead players.

That's why we added item remove on death in guarded towns. What I agree on is that it might need some more adjustments or additions, like getting your items back from NPC xy in the town. But I am not the one who can do stuff like that.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 02:19:57 pm »

The biggest problem with guard looting is that it works in PvP towns. I mean come on, PvP is done mostly for loot, why the f**k would you make the guards in Broken Hills, Den etc. steal the loot of the winning faction? It's just plain retarded and leads to player factions having to massacre all the guard-type NPCs before combat starts, even when they are in control of the town. Please do something about that, BH used to be one of the best towns for PvP and right now it's mostly unplayable.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 10:04:20 am »

How about removing guard looting in unguarded towns? Or better - completely remove it.
Loot is an important aspect of the game.

Someone attacks you, he gets killed by the guards, and you can't even loot him. I'm not in favour of that.
The old way was very good. Loot Loot Loot! :D
just because we play a post-apocalyptic game doesn't mean we have to accept to see people insulting us of jews.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 10:20:10 am »

I think guards-looting in guarded towns is very important, and imo NCR is much safer now.

For loot in non-guarded towns, it's a mistake, that's one of the improvements and fixes needed. For example, the whole Den was considered as guarded, however only Metzger's side is guarded (And not by lawful guards). The same problem appears in the Cathedral, and maybe Boneyard.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Arminius

• Rat Shaman
    • arminius1453's Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:41 pm »

Well, your Hy-Mag wouldn't be any safer if there weren't guard looting, mate. I think it's working just fine.

I was so satisfied the first time I saw guards taking the loot of a murderer. It's realistic enough that the guards would neutralize the threat and confiscate all evidence/belongings. Only missing feature is possibly a way to recover your loot. Untagged players who were just a victim of the disturbance (not who initiated it) should be able to recover their loot in the local police station, or with the same guard that looted him. That way, guarded cities would work the way they should and the griefing they always suffered would be eliminated.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:21:16 am »

How about removing guard looting in unguarded towns? Or better - completely remove it.
Loot is an important aspect of the game.

Someone attacks you, he gets killed by the guards, and you can't even loot him. I'm not in favour of that.
The old way was very good. Loot Loot Loot! :D

..... Says one of the people who teamed with people to exploit and loot people.............. I ahve you red flagged for that. Ass.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 18 queries.