Author Topic: How to use card suit characters?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Slowhand

• Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!
How to use card suit characters?
« on: January 10, 2016, 04:24:38 pm »
Does anyone know how to use the spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs characters in dialogues? (♥, ♦, ♣, ♠)

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
Re: How to use card suit characters?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:57:55 pm »
Not sure, but off the top of my head I'd say these characters are not included in the standard Fallout/FOnline font... One could edit the font and change four rarely used chars in favor of the card pips (symbols) and then use them in dialogues.

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 09:20:37 pm »
Not sure, but off the top of my head I'd say these characters are not included in the standard Fallout/FOnline font... One could edit the font and change four rarely used chars in favor of the card pips (symbols) and then use them in dialogues.

Okay, where are the fonts, what do I need to know to edit them? Any tutorial links for it you know of ?

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:08:48 am »
The fonts are in e.g. ..\Client\data\fonts (Cvet's SDK), other versions should have been using the same path and files.

You will be needing Default.PNG, which is basically a PNG file with one non-flattened layer (i.e. no background). Just open it in PS/GIMP/whatever and see the file properties for yourself.

Be sure to check out the respective FOFNT files too, they contain raw text data for the size and position of each character. For your new characters you may (or may not) need to make slight adjustments there.

Unfortunately there are no specific tutorials about this matter, because Cvet reduced its complexity significantly by converting the fonts into the PNG format. IIRC JovankaB was the only one fiddling with fonts to some extent (fixing edges and form, so that it looks 1:1 with Fallout 1/2, these changes have been accepted into SDK a loooong time ago), maybe she could help you more... Other than that, you can try me again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 12:45:45 pm by JovankaB »

Offline Slowhand

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 10:06:20 am »
Ty for the info, I will report back if I succeed.

JovankaB

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:52:08 pm »
IIRC JovankaB was the only one fiddling with fonts to some extent (fixing edges and form, so that it looks 1:1 with Fallout 1/2

Actually I made them look less like in Fallout 1/2, because some of the characters were too similar which hurt readability.

FOFNT format is quite simple, so there isn't too much to explain...

You might check out a font generator I made http://fodev.net/forum/index.php/topic,29507.0.html but if you want to add only a few characters, it's better to do it by hand IMO.