Author Topic: I can't join my own server from internet IP  (Read 3093 times)

I can't join my own server from internet IP
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:28:12 am »
I have done this before and i can't understand why i cannot just join my server.
I can join using lan ip adress (192.168.0.x) but i cannot join using my public ip adress. (which is 46.25.148.42)

You may be asking me if i have the ports (2238) open and all that stuff.

And, in fact, yes, i opened my ports and tested it on internet. They appear to be open. And also, i ping with my public ip.

So, if my ports are open (udp and tcp) and i can ping my public adress, why the heck i cannot join???!?!
I've all this ERROR messages and black background in login screen.

If i try to connect using my local ip i can join normally without errors.
Tried using a Dynamic DNS thing and ofcourse i couldn't join either.

Any help would be apreciated

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
Re: I can't join my own server from internet IP
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:05:01 am »
Error text and black background are symptoms of the missing cache on the client side, i.e. your client indeed can't connect to your server properly.

Your server should also have your internet IP assigned (46.25.148.42), so that it can be reached by clients via internet, I guess. After the connection (follow the feedback in the server window) let the client download the cache, this can take a while depending on your connection.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:49:11 am »
Change ip address to localhost if you run your server on the same PC.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 01:36:06 am »
if you are using Windows XP you need to add FOnlineServer.exe to the exception list in the windows firewall ( if activated ).

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:57:31 am »
Your server should also have your internet IP assigned (46.25.148.42), so that it can be reached by clients via internet, I guess. After the connection (follow the feedback in the server window) let the client download the cache, this can take a while depending on your connection.

Well, that was really helpful. I had no idea the server  needs the public IP. Where is that defined? I've been looking around and i can't find where can i write the adress in my server.

Change ip address to localhost if you run your server on the same PC.

Yes, that's what i usually do. But nobody can connect my adress until the problem is fixed. So i ahve to join using internet adress instead.

if you are using Windows XP you need to add FOnlineServer.exe to the exception list in the windows firewall ( if activated ).

Yes, the server is using the old nasty XP but alredy added the exception.

Thanks for the replies :)

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:52 am »
use the webrowser to access your modem settings... it will show up there

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:13:00 pm »
Connect to your router/modem through web browser. It can be usualy found on local ip 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 . Re-direct 2238 port to your LAN PCs IP so connection to your xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2238 will be routed to your accual machine. Try also turning off any firewall that has any possibility of blocking that port.

If that won't work think about something like VPN or Hamachi/Evolve.