Author Topic: Dual wielding  (Read 3290 times)

Dual wielding
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:35 pm »
We've been talking about implementing dual wielding in the game. Is that sort of thing supported with current 3D models? Is it possible to support programmatically? Anyone tried this before?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Dual wielding
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »
You would need new animations, at least for the action animation (using the weapons). Also the technical aspect- how do you equip 2 weapons at the same time? ... Wouldn't do this, imo. First because this is falling into the "rule of cool" category and second, because in real nobody seriously goes akimbo with weapons. Third, from a technical point of view it is too much a hassle. Save your time and do something that is more worth it.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:55 pm »
Yes, this is one of those low priority things on our TODO list. I wanted to throw it out here so I can get opinions from experienced developers if something like this is even feasible. Thanks for your feedback bro!

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:49 pm »
Heh, i always was a fan of dual wield in games, but i wouldn't go with full scale mechanics for it (like, let's say, in Baldur's Gate) with FOnline engine. Maybe something simple - when wearing pistol in both hands change skin to dual-wield and modify AP cost of weapon in main hand. During attack, increase min/max damage to x1.5-x2 and override animation with a proper dual shooting. Only thing to remember is to keep rifles better than 2x best pistol.
Looks good for me on paper monitor, wonder if it would work ingame ;D

I wouldn't throw the idea away becouse nobody does that in reality. Could be a nice temporary addition during levelling; after all sooner or later player will switch to better gear anyway (what's another reason why i'd keep it simple).
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:04 am »
what about dual wielding but with a max hit chance of ~75% ? probably some people will like risky builds like that, even on max level, if dual wielding CAN do more damage than using only one small two-hand weapon.

Offline lisac2k

• Rotator
  • Uncle Pyro
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:42:27 am »
Balance is one issue, the implementation of the system the other. Mr. hexer is trying hard to get a smart answer for the other one ;)

Offline Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »
Well i have no experience with 3D in fonline whatsoever (so no idea if one can actually have 2 weapons in one animation), but this is how i would go about the implementation of the dual wield.

Let's assume it works only if you have same 2 pistols in both hands:
First you need to add some button into GUI or hotkey to switch between normal and dual-wield.
Then you need dual-wield version of the pistol - that means item with dualwield attack animations, same stats just with AP costs for dualwield attacks/reload.

So now that player has one 10mm pistol in each hand, when player presses the dualwield shortcut, the pistol in primary slot gets changed via script into the dualwield version (perhaps some animation plays between those two states)... the same thing should also happen the otherway around i guess.
Now when player attacks you just have to check ammo in the pistol in secondary slot (also substract it) and add second hit calculations (hit/miss, damage etc. for the second pistol) via script magic.
That's about it.

Next issue would be adding shitloads of checks for every situation when the dualwield version of the pistol item might leave the primary hand slot (death, critical drops, move to inv or another slot etc.) so that it gets reverted to its normal version again. Same goes for second pistol leaving its hand slot, you would have to revert the pistol in primary hand in that case too.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »
What if I have a 10mm pistol and a desert eagle? :p

Offline Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:28 pm »
What if I have a 10mm pistol and a desert eagle? :p
Well except for needing to determine the AP cost of attack dynamically it should actually work the same.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:21 pm »
From my point of view, I can't really find anything difficult in implementation of dual wielding. It would only require some extra work with attaching weapons to both hands. Plus one additional animation. The bright side, is that you'll most likely have to attach just one weapon, and then you'll be able to copy-paste the code for each next weapon, which will have this feature. This is, of course, only applicable if you have already prepared the target weapons for a regular (one hande`) wielding.

I can't say anything about the scripts, though.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:58:44 pm »
Dual wakazashi.. better.. dual mega power fist !