Author Topic: Can NPCs level up?  (Read 2895 times)

Can NPCs level up?
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:54 am »
I'm wondering if I can level up NPCs? I am asking because I have to determine how I'm going to advance the player's companions - with level up or with stages as in Fallout 2.

Re: Can NPCs level up?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:36:46 am »
In 2238/Reloaded companions can lvl up.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:47:22 pm »
Can you describe how it looks? They level up on their own or you choose Perks and allocate skill points?

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »
Dunno how exactly it works, but you  can't choose perk for them and skill points, they do it on their own. I suggest you check 2238 sdk, so you may find something about it.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:21 am »
OK, can you remember if they level every level or every 3rd or 4th level?

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:25 am »
If they get enough XP they will level up. Back in 2238, quite a few folks leveled their npcs to make them stronger. As far as I remember, only the hit points were influenced, because the ai couldn't spend skill points, etc.

Offline Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:01:28 am »
As Lexx said the npc level in 2238 influanced only HP. But leveling of npc companions didn't work like in Fallout 2 (level up when player does), they had to gain experience for killing just like player - they had to make the killing shot to get xp for kill. Also they required the same amount of xp to level up as players (1k xp for 1st level, 2k for 2nd etc.).

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:57:08 am »
Well, that forms another question:
Is it possible to allow player "possess" NPC followers? Transfer control? Fallout Tactics style?

Offline Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 07:20:44 pm »
Short answer: No.

Long answer: there is, in theory, engine function (SwapCritters()) which allows that... But last time we tried it long time ago, it was working so bad that both player chars affected had to be deleted, as command broke them beyond repair.

So, what left? Script it on your own... You can grab mouse/keyboard in client scripts and control NPC thanks to that and help of another set of oserver scripts. Not an easy thing, i'd say it will end quite big, but in pure theory it should be possible to some extend. Not sure if worth the time, but oh well.
Games are meant to be created, not played...

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 10:05:26 pm »
Thanks. Sadly, it's just as i thought.