Author Topic: Control over companions  (Read 1984 times)

Control over companions
« on: January 15, 2014, 10:11:16 am »
Players are asking me if they will be able to control companions in the game. I'm not sure if that's possible so I'm asking here. Are companions fighting on their own like in Fallout 2 or they can be controlled like in Baldur's Gate?

Are companion controls even implemented in FOnline?

Re: Control over companions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:17:22 pm »
Well, it is interesting question because as you can see default companions fight on their own same as Fallout, but I heard that someone from fonline community wanted to create party system from DnD games. It seems to me that Surf Solar want to create party system in his game "What Remains" based on FOnline engine too. I am not sure if he realised it or not, but I think it is possible to create multi companion system. The problem is if you can script it. :P

JovankaB

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »
2238 has "follower" scripts (for mercenaries, companions, slaves and some animals), not sure about SDK.

Their behavior is controlled via dialog, and also you can give them (but only all of them at once) some basic commands (like to attack or to move) with alt-click (or maybe it was ctrl). With a bit of scripting it should be possible to do anything Fallout 2 does and much more.

Party system with selecting particular party member like in BG would be more work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:44:34 pm by b__B »

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »
The problem is if you can script it. :P

I work as a programmer so it shouldn't be an issue. Unless I have no engine functions to work with in the first place :P

2238 has "follower" scripts (for mercenaries, companions, slaves and some animals), not sure about SDK.

Their behavior is controlled via dialog, and also you can give them (but only all of them at once) some basic commands (like to attack or to move) with alt-click (or maybe it was ctrl). With a bit of scripting it should be possible to do anything Fallout 2 does and much more.

Party system with selecting particular party member like in BG would be more work.

Great, I will check out your companion scripts then!

JovankaB

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:40:19 pm »
Not mine to be exact, but yea, I recommend to check them out :P