"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 29, 2024, 02:54:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No way to kite in RT play (PVP)  (Read 2964 times)

No way to kite in RT play (PVP)
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:21:52 pm »

My friend is a veteran of many MMORPG's and loves PVP. When I Showed him Fonline Real time he shot it to pieces because you can't "Kite" (Constantly running from your enemy and keeping them out of range while dealing damage to them). He told me that all MMORPGs are based on kitting and without it there is no point in playing PVP because it just a matter of who shoots first...

What is wrong with his logic or is he right? Is PVP based on skill or  just who can Stim and Shoot faster? What argument can I use to convince him to try again?
Re: No way to kite in RT play (PVP)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:36 pm »

Seriously.. are you shittin' me?

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:49:47 pm »

Can't? Yes you can. It is far tougher in 2238 though, but you can and players here do that a lot. Are you sure he was trying the game in RT mode? I mostly play in RT mode and i have herded my enemies in circles and damage them at range many time, according to my AP limits.

2238 is a build-intense game too, so if you "just wing-it" when you register a character, you fail. Some guys have spent 4 hours planning a single perfected fighter to be optimal in PvP, gradually tweaking various stats and re-running the calculator.

I am working on a guide for new players. It is based on a certain build that is a tough PvE explorer who can craft his own gear. He just took on the Rail Line Gang and defeated the 5 NPC toughies there. He did not kite though. I ran in, took 'em on, and stood there exchanging damage. Now i realize this was only against NPCs, so it was just PvE not PvP, but using an introductory crafter/explorer build to fight 5 guys solo and win, means your buddy needs to step it up a notch, stop playing softer games for a while and dig in his heels for a tougher fight in 2238. My opinion.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:52:48 pm by Marko »
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:22:28 pm »

Well kiting is harder here, but your friend frankly sounds like an idiot. It isn't so much "who shoots first" (although it can be important in big guns vs big guns) but it becomes more about build wars and positional play. Kiting is a much smaller role than some MMOs, but even in most typical MMOs kiting in PvP isn't the end goal or ultimate tactic. Afterall you can't have two opposing people kite each other, one has to be retreating while the other pushes on.

But basically yeah, kiting isn't super prominent like in some MMOs in PvP, but it isn't nonexistent. And the game certainly isn't just about twitch play of who shoots first.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:27:44 pm »

If Bonus Move had an application in RT, that would help, but if it involved a skipping animation there would be targeting issues.

Also, Fonline kind of deliberately avoids things proven in other MMORPGS.

Though Massive wouldn't apply to Fonline, nor at this point would RPG without some imagination.
I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:48:58 pm »

He's not an idiot he is a highly experianced gamer with a valid point. His point is that since you dont regen ap wwhen moving its impossible to kite another player.

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:50:13 pm »

highly experianced gamer with a valid point
Name 5 mmorpgs he has played.
WoW doesn't count.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:58:42 pm »

Not part of the question to name his MMORPG experience. He currently plays Swotor, has played d2,wow and some others idk. I want ways in which kiting is possible or in which its bypassed ans other skills are used. The goal here is not to criticize my friens taste in games.

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 12:26:04 am »

You will NEVER convince your friend to play. He's developed a snobbish attitude about gaming that frankly isn't based on realistic expectations, nor in reality; you can't shoot AND scoot, fire OR run at any given time.

Sorry, but that's the way it really is.
nobody wants him so he just stares at the world
planning the vengeance that he will soon unfurl

Kill A VC For Democracy!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 12:35:24 am »

I'm getting other friends into this game. The community needs new player sbut I know its not the job of the developers to trim the game to their expectations. Perhaps his additude is snobbish as he was reluctant to play a game with such bad graphics. But he is quite experienced at other games and that's what disappoints me so much. He would enjoy PvP but he is unwilling to take suggestions on builds or practice tb to build an inventory. So yeah it is a lost cause and I have other friends who enjoy the game a lot more. Thanks for responses but I'm convinced there's no way to kite players so you answered my question.

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 02:19:55 am »

Kiting is possible and is a popular method to level on fast and hard enemies like Floaters and Centaurs. Its just needed two players for that. One aggroes the mobs, other gains XP.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 03:20:08 am »

you can't "Kite" (Constantly running from your enemy and keeping them out of range while dealing damage to them).

He told me that all MMORPGs are based on kitting

without it there is no point in playing PVP because it just a matter of who shoots first...

These are the 3 reasons I say he is an idiot. Although idiot is perhaps a bit strong of a word, I simply mean he is wrong and fairly foolish. There is far more to PvP in any game beyond twitch play vs kiting (as I mentioned, positional play, build design, etc). The game clearly is far more than just twitch play, even the most common MMOs are pretty far from just kiting, and the previously mentioned aspects of PvP i listed.

Mention to your friend specifically the fact that there is more to PvP than kiting or twitch play, specifically mentioning positional play, build design, etc. It is kind of hard to argue with someone when that person is being defended by proxy, perhaps there is more to it we don't know yet, but so far what we've heard he seems pretty oblivious.

In PvP kiting can be pretty hard, although just remember that you can have allies who stand still while they chase you and shoots at them, that's a clear example of kiting. In PvE it is typically more about abusing AI movespeed and attack targeting.

EDIT: I was warned for this post and calling someone an idiot...I'm imagining a lot of warning will be going out in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:24:20 pm by Admiral Zombie »

Bulldog

• Just some random noob.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 07:13:27 am »

Reading the posts of this TS, I feel rage overflowing me. It's just a troll or a complete idiot.
Joy overflows me, for I've just noticed other players, right above my post calling him an idiot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:15:36 am by Bulldog »
English is not my native language, go easy on me.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 11:57:53 am »

How to kite - shoot someone in the leg thus crippling them. Once crippled, their movement speed is lower than yours allowing you to still run and gain an advantage. That's the pro of playing a sniper build.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Senocular

• The Real Roleplayer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »

Why would someone chase you if you keep damaging them and they can't reach you? Your friend is a retard.
Favorite forum posters:
Mike Crosser, the underground
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.