"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 27, 2024, 11:37:56 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Farming in Outpost base  (Read 4986 times)

Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
Farming in Outpost base
« on: April 30, 2013, 06:14:54 pm »

Right now the fibers and tobacco doesn't regenerate in Outpost base, because of possibility of bots plucking stuff. It is deemed dead.

I suggest to revive the regeneration of Tobacco and Fibers in the base as well as bringing fruits back and implement Barley plants.

But how about the bot problem? Do not worry, for this you will have a still-like mechanics - in order to regenerate the harvest from your small cabbage patch, you have to fertilize them with brahmin shit (available in your pen), water them (available in the working water pipe in your base) and cultivate the soil (craft a shovel for doing that).

Also, tamed brahmins could have a option to be settled in the pen permanently and produce fertilizer, so you can slaughter one or another for meat without destroying your precious stock of shit producers.

If you don't want to RP a farmer, let'em plants shrivel up and die or burn them with a Flamer, (option for base rapers), go find the stuff in the wilderness instead of lamenting of 2238 turning in Harvest Moon ITT.

Instead, i'd like to hear a opinion of a developer here, if it is possible to get it with some update.

xsarq

• You Can't Kill What's Already Dead
Re: Farming in Outpost base
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »

I like it. And i`m ok with this game changing into Farmer Simulator 2013 :)

I
Scamers: Grimmi
Beware of trading with this person.

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 06:50:48 pm »

I like it.
But how about we also get HQ fiber plants,just make the seeds expensive and there you go.
Since there isn't "real" way to get them.
That way farming would have some use besides RP and shit easy to obtain.
Imagine the massive farmville esque farms.

Alvarez

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »

I don't think 2238 should mutate to something farmville-esque, just to get necessary materials.
I more think of it as a roleplay alternative of gathering in Wasteland. If one is afraid of players being enclosed at their bases, the seeds can be gotten in unsafe locations.

If we think of the plants further, we could get a item, which can be dropped on a ground in a random place, (like a crate), used items onto like waterbags and dung (like fuel cells on a car) and shovel (like tool on a car) and then it results in a item from what the materials can be harvested (like a still).

In fact, i'd even like to try to script it by myself. (If i only knew where to start)

greenthumb

• Surprisingly, the location has moved.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:40:47 pm »

this would add nice perspective to buy such expensive base. I like it. Question(for developers) is, if its worth to implement. If it would be worth, maybe multiple of such little features would make some nice atmosphere for any player. But another view is it would decrease PC interaction of farmers :). Still possible to do such in boneyard tobacco farm :).

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05:18 am »

Hey I WANT to do a little light farming... just what I need (not greedy) to produce basic materials.

Not liking the base raper option.
nobody wants him so he just stares at the world
planning the vengeance that he will soon unfurl

Kill A VC For Democracy!!!!

JovankaB

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:20:19 am »

I was thinking about adding farming in bases, and even safe houses and tents.

My idea is that there would be a number of "fertile ground" tiles and you could put seeds of any plant
there. The amount of fertile ground you get would depend on how expensive is the place. So a tent
would have maybe one (or none) and outpost could have ~40.

Farming would give slower output than gathering stuff in the wasteland, but wouldn't require as much
attention. For example a fruit tree would grow 10 real days, then you just click on it to get 40 fruits,
then it dies (or maybe there could be a few cycles before it dies).

Optionally you could speed up growing by taking care of the plants regularly (like watering them or
adding fertilizer) but it would be never as fast as getting things from unguarded locations. A plant you
don't take care of would grow too, just for example 10 real days instead of 4. Or maybe on how
well you take care of it could result in how many cycles you get before the plant dies.

Spore plants could find some use there too, we could make scenery with "spore plant sapling" that
doesn't really do anything but if you don't clean it on time, after a few days it grows into real one.
It could grow spontaneously next to fertile ground hexes which have some plants. So you wouldn't
be bothered if you don't farm at all. Another idea I had was some kind of mutated poisonous ivy
"enemy scenery" that slowly creeps on ground, starting from hexes next to the plants (if you don't
clean the "ivy sapling") and poisons anyone who walk on it.

Disclaimer: This is just my random ideas not any "official todo" :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:40:49 am by JovankaB »

Gimper

• You gotta be kidding me... shoo shoo mighty hacker
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:36:25 am »

This sounds really good. Just as good as when I suggested it months ago.

JovankaB

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:54 am »

This sounds really good. Just as good as when I suggested it months ago.

Great minds think alike.
The general concept is nothing new, surfaces once in a while both in forums and in dev cave.

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 08:17:10 am »

SPORE PLANTS TOO?! Awedome!
I think really, if you take proper care of them the plants should be producing more and more often, but the hell with, at leadt my albatross will fibally die.

Alvarez

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:56 am »

Awesome ideas you have there, guys. :D
And poisonous ivy can be weeded out with a Flamer, no? ;)

JovankaB

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:05:37 pm »

could be with flamer, of course this all is just pure speculation

Gimper

• You gotta be kidding me... shoo shoo mighty hacker
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 04:09:24 am »

SPORE PLANTS TOO?! Awedome!
I think really, if you take proper care of them the plants should be producing more and more often, but the hell with, at leadt my albatross will fibally die.
Oh no... I sure hope this is a joke. The spore plant merc suggestion is famous for its stupidity and trolliability. Lets hope you don't get made fun of too much. The last guy that suggested this nearly killed himself.

Also, whats with the D's instead of S's and N's?

the underground

• very grumpy bear
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 04:38:13 am »

Oh no... I sure hope this is a joke. The spore plant merc suggestion is famous for its stupidity and trolliability. Lets hope you don't get made fun of too much. The last guy that suggested this nearly killed himself.
Ok, I REALLY don't want to know about "spore plant mercs." But no, I'm seriousl in so far as I want to grow a spore plant; I just like spore plant spikes if I could grow the plant I could kill them and take their spikes....... Unless the devs have a better idea (maybe, ala Setmour?).....
Also, whats with the D's instead of S's and N's?
When I post from my cellphone, sometimes it decides I want d's instread of s's. etc. THEN, I have to choose do I backspace over EVERYTHING to fix it or do I leave it fucked up...... You see the decision I made.
My wife complains about that too, and it used to be her phone.

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 06:29:53 am »

Gardening +1.

The ability for us to build our own farm and manage gardens where useful things can be grown that yield some resources sure sounds good to me. Maybe include irrigation so each fertile tile must be watered.

And yes to spore plant mercs lol.
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 25 queries.