"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:30:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mysterious Fog Encounters  (Read 1219 times)

delphius

• Fatum Iustum Stultorum
    • delphius @ deviantart
Mysterious Fog Encounters
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:21:21 am »

At first, I thought of this encounter that players could only find at night. It's a sudden cloak of mysterious fog. Once I thought of this, my imagination branched into many directions of the various possibilities. One could encounter a fog with a faintly colored glow. The player moves around this foggy area with zero visibility. The glow could become brighter if they are closer to its source; dimmer if the player is further away. The object or NPC which is the light source determines the hue and behavior of the vague diffused light which colors the fog... Perhaps one variation of fog encounter is most common: ocean fog. The light in ocean fog could lead to the old traveling celt, to a campfire of fishing people,  to a mysterious boat... Ghosts would make great fog encounters in any type of terrain. There could also be a mountain fog encounter where the player finds a radioactive pool like the moat outside of Fallout 1 gun runners. The pool would be hidden within rough/cluttered terrain [vertiberd or vehicle crash sight?] and there could possibly be mutant creatures drinking from the pool. Molerats would be easiest, as their snouts are already to the ground. There could be a tent and an old glowing ghoul who tells you stories or kills you or haggles with you, depending on your character's stats. He could have a tub filled with the radioactive liquid. He could tell you a story about where the liquid came from, whether it's springing up from a deposit underground or it was spilled there long ago. I'm sure the basis of a fog encounter should spur some fresh ideas from anyone who's reading this with the slightest spark of imagination, and I'd be thrilled if my own ideas could be taken into consideration. I'm much more interested in art and content than all of this fiddling with game mechanics and whining about statistics. One last fog idea of mine: an anachronistic scene which does not fit with the patina of the game's atmosphere. An environment that juts out of the wasteland with an unnatural shine lacking age or pitted wear. I'm talking about a ghostly makeover of Bob's Car Lot ...or a gas station or 50s diner. Who knows? What do you think? What sort of haunted enigma of the past could be hidden within the fog? Could a chance for this encounter be increased by eating mutated peyote or taking some pre-existing hallucinogen? (jet sucks...) This last idea would definitely require new artwork, but that artwork could be wrought from cannibalized or recycled old fallout artwork. i can't use the openGL version, so i'd like some simulated fog that peels back just like ceilings and walls.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:32:55 am by delphius »
"Once more into the breach, dear friend."
--Blood (A Boy and his Dog, 1974)
...actually, Delphius, that quote is from a Shakespeare play. From Shakespeare to A Boy and His Dog to Fallout.

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
Re: Mysterious Fog Encounters
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:16:47 am »

If this ever gets implemented,delete this thread and any evidence of it's existance.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:03 pm »

At first, I thought of this encounter that players could only find at night. It's a sudden cloak of mysterious fog.
WALL OF TEXT

Ever heard of text formatting?  *eyes falling out* ;D

I like the idea of fog. I dont have any cool mysterious encounter ideas, but fog as well as rain could make the existing maps varied and therefore more interesting too...
Imagine TC in foggy surrounding where you cant see a thing and sneaky one-hexers are about- new levels of adrenaline discharge for sure.
Also the lighting could use some darkening in the later hours.. I sometimes even can't tell if it's really night...

Yes please, more atmosphere.

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:11:01 pm »

as well as rain
Well there used to be rain,but it was removed for reasons i'm not so sure of,I think it was causing lags or something.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 22 queries.