"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 08:33:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This game needs more pointless money sinks  (Read 1952 times)

This game needs more pointless money sinks
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »

When you are playing Fonline2238, you end up with one of two problems, either you don't have enough money, and then, shortly after that, you have more than you could ever spend.  Some factions have millions and millions, and the only reason they don't have more is that there is absolutely no point except bragging rights.

I think what this game needs is more pointless money sinks, status icons and the like.  Money is very easily earnt, when you know the right ways, but where do you spend it?

Sure you have cars, and they can cost a pretty penny, but 10,000 caps isn't going to break the bank.  neither will 100,000 for a base, or even 500,000 for the best base!

First up, I think all skins should be removed, and added ingame as a purchasable thing, for a high amount of caps.  Not the ones that look like you have armour on, I think they shouldn't be ingame full stop (it aint fair on people without awareness) but you want to look like a deathclaw?  Sure, go to a vendor in san fran with 500,000 caps, bam, you are a deathclaw.  Want to look like a prostitute?  Fine, that's 100,000 caps.  Have fun selling your body for jet.

Want power armour mk2 (with the same stats as CAmk2 of course), that's 1,000,000 caps.

Want a highwayman that's dropped on it's balls with golden rims, blue tinted windows, black paint and a soaring eagle on the front? that's 2,000,000 caps.

Bring back everlasting flares and charge 2,500 caps for the privilege

Gold painted guns?  The gun you want plus 50,000 caps.

I'm sure you see what I'm getting at, and would love to hear what everyone thinks, and what you would like to see...

But these absolutely pointless status icons make caps more worthwhile to get, and give people real achievements to go for.  That's what this game needs, things to strive for!  At the moment, once you hit lvl24 with one or two chars, you can pretty much get whatever you want, then the only fun things to do is killing other people.. And if you die, so what?  Gear aint that hard to get.

Thoughts?

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
Re: This game needs more pointless money sinks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »

Status items ok, but please no gangsta bling bling.
Hard to come up with a well fitting item or object :(
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:13 pm »

I guess if you have millions of caps you don't buy mercs, you pretty much need that if you want to use armed mutants.

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:42:55 pm »

Buying skins could be a decent option. Just like the barber, you could talk to a doctor (SF preferably) to have a plastic surgery.
Not to mention it would unburden GMs from "skin pl0x" messages.
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing

Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:21:20 pm »

plastic surgery.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just have a clothing shop or something?

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:19 pm »

But most skins, except Ian skin or a few others, make you look completely different. So plastic surgery would make the dialogue seem to fit, and it would provide a way to say "Oh, by the way, you might not be able to wield that weapon after surgery" somewhat smoothly. And other dialogues would be needed to become something like a deathclaw...

Most of topic's examples sound good. Although, 500k for a skin is too much, and golden guns aren't going to be possible unless you mean for 3d, and the concept for that is quite useless when you think about how the only place you might be able to show it off is NCR. No one would spend that money to lose it in an actual fight.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 09:38:29 pm »

Skins, when/if added, will be cheap as shit; don't think of them as money sink.
Games are meant to be created, not played...
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:00 pm »

Skins, when/if added, will be cheap as shit; don't think of them as money sink.

I think you guys are overlooking the situation, lexx.

Sure, being a shitty peasant could be easy, but a skin that stands out from most should be hard to get, maybe a quest similar to GR for metal armor mutant skin for example.

Tomowolf

• Cute Kittens and stuff.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:04:19 pm »

I think you guys are overlooking the situation, lexx.
You're smoking too much : P.

Idea ain't bad but we're waiting for 3D era, although its like going to be "soon" ; p.
h

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »

Sure, being a shitty peasant could be easy, but a skin that stands out from most should be hard to get, maybe a quest similar to GR for metal armor mutant skin for example.
And i'm talking about such shitty skins here, check cities for NPCs wearing clothes, robes and such - it'a about that. Other thingies, as you pointed, may be put in other ways than paying for them with caps, so still not worth to be mentioned as money sink.

Idea ain't bad but we're waiting for 3D era, although its like going to be "soon" ; p.
Actually it's a small step forward, becouse such items already exists and has been created with 3D in mind.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:14:41 pm by Wipe »
Games are meant to be created, not played...

MrSarcastic

• War doesn't determine who's right. Only who's left
    • WWAA Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:31 pm »

I for once strongly disagree with that idea.

First of all - most players are not raking in caps. The only people who have more they can spend are either members of large factions (and those caps are shared, remember:)) or people who spend all days grinding stuff (slaves, encounters, BP's etc.).

Personally I don't have any problem getting caps, aquired either by trading or some occasional slaving. I can make about 10k a day while still having fun with the game. I buy cars, build new bases, hire mercs, buy some shit on auctions etc. If you really feel like throwing your caps to money sink - hire 4 bazooka muties and bring them to next PvP. I wanna see something like that :) Or leave a few thousands caps somewhere and announce a treasure hunting event.

Secondly - you suggest something like a supershop for fonline nerds. Adv PA for 1 000 000 caps or pimped Highwayman for 2 000 000? That sounds riddiculous to me. 99% of players wouldn't need that. Instead we could have some sort of one time improvements like with original Fallouts. Say, 10000 caps to raise one of your stats by 1. But one time only. And maybe such operation would prevent you from using your char for one day in real life. Or some F3: New Vegas style implants? One per 2 END you have. Something like plus 2 to your sight, DMG threshold, maybe +25 CW?

What are your thoughts on that one guys?
Idling....
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:59 pm »

This last idea is the opposite of the first one.

If you bring the concept ingame, every major gang will buy it for all their char, build their char specifically for this feature. Having millions will be a needed step to go on pvp.

So, there will be even less active gangs.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48:46 am »

I for once strongly disagree with that idea.

First of all - most players are not raking in caps. The only people who have more they can spend are either members of large factions (and those caps are shared, remember:)) or people who spend all days grinding stuff (slaves, encounters, BP's etc.).

Personally I don't have any problem getting caps, aquired either by trading or some occasional slaving. I can make about 10k a day while still having fun with the game. I buy cars, build new bases, hire mercs, buy some shit on auctions etc. If you really feel like throwing your caps to money sink - hire 4 bazooka muties and bring them to next PvP. I wanna see something like that :) Or leave a few thousands caps somewhere and announce a treasure hunting event.

Secondly - you suggest something like a supershop for fonline nerds. Adv PA for 1 000 000 caps or pimped Highwayman for 2 000 000? That sounds riddiculous to me. 99% of players wouldn't need that. Instead we could have some sort of one time improvements like with original Fallouts. Say, 10000 caps to raise one of your stats by 1. But one time only. And maybe such operation would prevent you from using your char for one day in real life. Or some F3: New Vegas style implants? One per 2 END you have. Something like plus 2 to your sight, DMG threshold, maybe +25 CW?

What are your thoughts on that one guys?

You missed the point completely, it's not SUPPOSED to be actually useful!  I'm talking random status icons that show off how rich you are.  As a loner, you probably wouldn't be able to afford these things, like... ever.  But Fonline2238 is supposed to be the 'factions mod', loners are fine (I'm usually a loner myself in this game), but they aren't exactly the focus of the game.

Leme throw a few examples of ways other online games have used this feature to take money out of the game:  WoW has plenty, not sure what the current situation is, but things like nether drakes, pets, etc.  Runescape made many without trying, like party hats, santa hats, homes etc. Everquest also had a ton, including your own house.

All had one thing in common, they were all wildly successful, and kept players wanting to play non stop for months (sometimes years) on end.  Not because the gameplay wasn't repetitive as shit (I mean all of them made you do the same shit over and over and over and over to get where you wanted) but they had achievements to work for, something that the current FOnline2238 definitely lacks
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »

"it aint fair on people without awareness"

who the hell plays without awareness? in previous session there was some but in this? who's making char with less than 6 pe? i understand melee and hth has 1 but they got awareness anyway.
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 06:55:33 pm »

Yeah and if you have 1 pe getting 100 unarmed isn't exactly hard.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 29 queries.