"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • October 06, 2024, 01:20:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Special Encounters Distributed By GMs?  (Read 2922 times)

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
Special Encounters Distributed By GMs?
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:14:36 pm »

This makes total sense since I would think in 2 and a half years of playing anyone would find a special encounter.

Thankyou Alvarez for saving me the time of looking for these damn cop cars and fire trucks.

Sneaky Developers... that's a really lame ruse to keep the random people playing. I'm sad.
-----

Wire seemed confused: Translation:

-Devs say Random Encounter is random.
-GMs say luck and PE play no part....
-Player suggests special encounters are handed out.
    This makes sense if the first two are true.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:20:15 am by LostSoul »

brad smalls

• I like PK
Re: Special Encounters Distributed By GMs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:18 pm »

Lol nope, they are not common i found one not that hard

lock this noob rage post
Brad Smalls is back

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:58 pm »

Lol nope, they are not common i found one not that hard

lock this noob rage post

Noob rage? It just would seem to make sense... Devs like to say that luck plays no part in finding them... So you'd think regardless of builds, over 2.5 years of wandering the wasteland anyone would find at LEAST SOMETHING.

So I conclude either Alvarez's suggestion was correct, or Devs are full of shit and Luck and Percep do indeed play a part?

JovankaB

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:49 am »

Yeah, makes sense.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 12:03:29 am »

If it's about Luck and Pe playing part in finding random encounters, the title is misleading.
If it's not about Luck and Pe then LostSoul haven't managed to make much sense.

Please fix this or get fixed.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
irc V_guessWho

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
Re: Special Encounters Distributed By GMs?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:12:06 am »

Special encounters are location-based, to my knowledge. Which is why not every player has found one in the huge time they have been playing. It could depend on how often you cross a certain zone whether you find it or not, said zones are probably usually out of the way of the usual routes between places.

It's a pretty awful system because if one person in a faction finds the zone/zones a special encounter can be found on, they can just farm the crap out of it with alts until they are kitted out so well that nobody can take them out (the Gauss Pistol encounter is a very good example of this). Unless an opposing faction also has access to the knowledge of which zone a special encounter is on, so they can farm it too.

The system really only exists like this to further inconvenience players who play on their own rather than with a group.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:16:42 am by Reconite »
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.

JovankaB

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:35 am »

Special encounters are location-based, to my knowledge (...) It's a pretty awful system because if one person in a faction finds the zone/zones a special encounter can be found on, they can just farm the crap out of it with alts

This was changed about half a year ago. There is smaller chance to find them, but you can get them in various places.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:49:12 am by JovankaB »

Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:22 am »

I've played this game since start of open beta and first time i got a special encounter was a month ago...

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:28 am »

This was changed about half a year ago. There is smaller chance to find them, but you can get them in various places.

"various" or "any"

Various sounds like it means "more than one location"

But "any" would imply we could find it 1 square left of NCR or 1 square left of ANYWHERE.

Just some CERTAIN CONFIRMED information would be really, I think highly appreciated by everyone.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 03:25:57 am »

Jovanka has dropped many hints already in this thread that should make it easier for you to search for these new or old special encounters. Would you really search for a truck known to be in lost ruins in the middle of the desert for example?

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 03:45:41 am »

Jovanka has dropped many hints already in this thread that should make it easier for you to search for these new or old special encounters. Would you really search for a truck known to be in lost ruins in the middle of the desert for example?

It's not just about where... It's about the certainty of whether or not Luck or PE checks are done for the encounter.

This would then allow us to determine whether a high luck build may be viable to throw in to have a chance at finding it.

I've been under the impression that luck was not a factor, and have , since the beginning of the game made 1 luck hybrid characters, assuming my chances would be the same.

Is it not information you can absolutely 100% guarantee is true?

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:51 am »

It's not just about where... It's about the certainty of whether or not Luck or PE checks are done for the encounter.

I have been out of touch with actual development for some months, but back then, the Luck Stat was never considered in the likelyhood to find such an encounter.

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 04:04:27 am »

I have been out of touch with actual development for some months, but back then, the Luck Stat was never considered in the likelyhood to find such an encounter.

You do understand how vague an answer this is right? Unless you're being gleefully cryptic in some hints...

Nothing of what you said puts any certainty into anything.
"back then"
Also no mention of PE check.

But now, is there a problem with my asking for this answer?  If there is please tell me, and I'll of course stop asking.  But as far as I know, the wiki aims to explain every detail of everything. I don't feel it's outlandish to want to know whether or LK or PE affect the chances. 

And yes, I agree I would not look for an urban encounter in the dessert.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 04:10:39 am »

What I meant to say with my previous post is, that it was unheard of in the team to make special encounters dependent on Luck stats of the player back then, and I highly doubt that this has changed. I am sorry I can't give you a more clear answer, more kind and knowledgable souls like Jovanka surely can give more clear statements.

LostSoul

• Gambling 300%
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 04:28:54 am »

I am sorry I can't give you a more clear answer, more kind and knowledgable souls like Jovanka surely can give more clear statements.

Perhaps....

Jovanka?
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 28 queries.