"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 28, 2024, 11:18:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: THQ giving Metro 2033 for free  (Read 6137 times)

Re: THQ giving Metro 2033 for free
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 05:37:17 pm »

and I paid 70 euros for this when it was released...

Consumer victim.

Gob

• The Good
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:04:21 pm »

Hahahaha. I've paid 2,50€ for it on a steam sale and even this I still regret.

Extremely linear, with scripted scenes every 10 meters and the rest of the game is simple shooting. Played it a few hours, then stopped and deinstalled. Sadly, due to this, I even lost the mood to read the book. Probably should have read the book before trying the game.

What are u talking about? The game was great, it is on of the few shooters I really enjoyed. I played it dozens of times.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:42:17 pm »

And I stopped after the nazi map, because map atmosphere alone isn't making a game for me. Too linear, stupid checkpoint save system, too many scripted sequences, so much wasted potential. The game could have been great if they wouldn't have sticked to the book, and instead created their own main character, made it possible to traverse the metro "free form" to visit locations / stations more variable, etc. It is the base for a great stalker-like pseudo rpg, but instead they did a boring railroad shooter (I played better ones). Oh well.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 06:48:47 pm »

Had one of the best ending sequences I've seen in a long time, the scripted scenes were cinematic and the voice acting was great. It was a nice change from the usual open world directionless quest driven crap.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 07:24:24 pm »

I played it on realistic(?) and ended up with no more gas mask filters on the part where you're outside for the first time, no other savegames... rage-deinstall.
Otherwise good game, when I'm in the mood I'll reinstall it someday and make a savegame every 30 min...

Cyber Jesus

• I piss excellence
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »

I played it on realistic(?) and ended up with no more gas mask filters on the part where you're outside for the first time, no other savegames... rage-deinstall.
Otherwise good game, when I'm in the mood I'll reinstall it someday and make a savegame every 30 min...
Or maybe you could have just downloaded a savegame with gas mask filters?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »

Read the books, read the fiction, played the game and Lexx is right, this should have been a RPG.

A Fallout-style one.
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »

This game is the awesome's solo game who i have playing you can trust me this is a fucking good game!

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 07:57:48 pm »

This thing ate my GPU and shat it out at first I only had 1 Frame per 5 seconds lol then I lowered all the settings maybe 5 frames per seconds.

This shit is like crysis hungry....  Thankfully I bought a new computer and have a GTX 260 waiting to be installed on it when it gets here.

I pity the fool who plays this on an integrated GPU :D.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 08:11:51 pm »

Seriously? I did the english localization for it and our testing pcs were garbage and it ran smooth.

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 08:17:58 pm »

Read the books, read the fiction, played the game and Lexx is right, this should have been a RPG.

A Fallout-style one.

The book is basically the same heavily scripted thingy like you have in the game, relying on deus ex machinas all the fucking time, linear. Hell, the basic idea of tunnels and metros - they are all linear. I don't get why everything these days has to be some boring open world game. You play Artyoms story and he didn't explore the metro system for random things and instead had to do his mission.

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 08:30:29 pm »

Seriously? I did the english localization for it and our testing pcs were garbage and it ran smooth.
138 HD space.

2.0 GHz duo core

nvidia integrated 6150SE nforce 430

2 gigs of ddr2 ram.

How garbage exactly are we talking here?  Mine's radioactive for christ's sake.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »

The book is basically the same heavily scripted thingy like you have in the game, relying on deus ex machinas all the fucking time, linear. Hell, the basic idea of tunnels and metros - they are all linear. I don't get why everything these days has to be some boring open world game. You play Artyoms story and he didn't explore the metro system for random things and instead had to do his mission.

The Vaultdweller had to find a waterchip and destroy the mutant threat, what was quite linear task. But i don't remember Fallout to be strictly linear.

A book on contrary to the game needs to be linear. So they simply made a book into a game, not the universe of it.

But the book also have a map of the Metro, which suggests, that the quest of Artyom as a part of something big. Something that inspired people to write their own Metro stories. It has abandoned, "mentally dangerous", irradiated, infested stations. Sure, Artyom hadn't need to explore the system to find some puzzle parts, like knowledge like mutant sterility in Fallout, artifacts, arcane technology like bunkers or cars or weapon systems, as he hadn't much time or motivation to do it - but this would be a great stuff for a RPG.
Cry more about open world, but this is a reason why you played RPGs and Fallout in particular.

Gob

• The Good
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »

Lets just wait for Metro Last Light and see what happens there. It will also have multyplayer(thx the vauldweller for that)

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »

The Vaultdweller had to find a waterchip and destroy the mutant threat, what was quite linear task. But i don't remember Fallout to be strictly linear.

A book on contrary to the game needs to be linear. So they simply made a book into a game, not the universe of it.

But the book also have a map of the Metro, which suggests, that the quest of Artyom as a part of something big. Something that inspired people to write their own Metro stories. It has abandoned, "mentally dangerous", irradiated, infested stations. Sure, Artyom hadn't need to explore the system to find some puzzle parts, like knowledge like mutant sterility in Fallout, artifacts, arcane technology like bunkers or cars or weapon systems, as he hadn't much time or motivation to do it - but this would be a great stuff for a RPG.
Cry more about open world, but this is a reason why you played RPGs and Fallout in particular.

The difference is that the vaultdweller had a huge portion of postwar california to explore, and had to investigate in the nearby settlements to find out where to get the waterchip. If you as a player didn't know about the location of the chip, it is only natural that you will explore the cities and NPC for hints. Artyom on the other hand is in a comparably tiny, cramped location with a clear goal. There would be no single reason to randomly explore other metro stations.

I haven't "cried" about open world games, only that I get tired of them. I haven't played Fallout because it is an "open world" either, but because I was/am fascinated by the world, the atmosphere and the music. I wouldn't give a damn if the game would be more linear.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.