"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 03:19:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make the game more newb friendly  (Read 2700 times)

August

• ♫ I wish they all could be New California... ♫
Re: Make the game more newb friendly
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »

I dunno. I mean most online game's I play these days are basically holding your bloody hand. Stupid tutorial guy keeps popping up on your screen telling you where to get quests but they are all of course easy as pie. You get a couple items, some xp and an understanding of the game but it all just feel's so... staged. Part of the allure of FOnline 2238 is that is doesn't hold your fucking hand.
You crawl out of a pit, talk to some dude to get your bearings and that's it. Its all up to you now and there ain't no magical fairy NPC patronizing you for being able to deliver a crate from one NPC to another. A tutorial like that takes all the satisfaction of figuring out the game and getting yourself started from the ground up.
——————/´ ¯/)———Rage Quit Threads
—————--/—-/———Town Burster's
—————-/—-/———Real Time Combat
———--/´¯/'--'/´¯`•_———Spawn Camper's
———-/'/--/—-/—--/¨¯\———Forum PvP
——--('(———- ¯~/'--')———NCR "PvP"
———\————-'—--/———
———-'\'————_-•———
————\———--(———
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:11 am »

WoW kiddies wouldn't like that. A game where you need to use your brain! Unbearable!

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 06:11:37 am »

I dunno. I mean most online game's I play these days are basically holding your bloody hand. Stupid tutorial guy keeps popping up on your screen telling you where to get quests but they are all of course easy as pie. You get a couple items, some xp and an understanding of the game but it all just feel's so... staged. Part of the allure of FOnline 2238 is that is doesn't hold your fucking hand.
You crawl out of a pit, talk to some dude to get your bearings and that's it. Its all up to you now and there ain't no magical fairy NPC patronizing you for being able to deliver a crate from one NPC to another. A tutorial like that takes all the satisfaction of figuring out the game and getting yourself started from the ground up.

That's all part of the "magic" of older computer games, they didn't hold your hand.  Baldurs gate, fallout 1 and 2, Jagged alliance, etc,.  They didn't have to hold your hand, they gave you a "world" and a set of rules.  This sand box allowed you to explore and figure out things as you went and imo was way more rewarding than having a linear quest that feels like bowling ball going down the lane with the gutters blocked so you won't feel the agony or disappointment of failure.  I don't like how this thread is going, there is already a pleothra of intellectually brain dead games out there (like most all of them, take WoW as a perfect example, if you don't understand, go play it to level 10, I dare you).  Being able to think will never be popular, but that doesn't mean that a game that won't ever appeal to a large audience isn't good, on the contrary it's probably the hallmark of an awesome game!  Most people do want to have there hands held, and everything given to them (see some of the other sad threads on here) but these are the same kids that "played" and beat final fantasy 7 by using game shark.  Please people, try to strive to be more than just "average"....

There used to be a difference between "computer" and "console", being that computer games were generally more in depth and complex while console games gave more immeadete rewards and more bang bang pew pew.  This gap has sadly closed in favor of "console" difficulty and mental capacity.  From a marketing point, it makes sense, sells more product.  Making a challenging or complex game is generally the seal of doom for modern games as consumers expect awesome graphics and non stop action.  This is why there is 99% fps on the market and TBS (turn based strategy) is all but dead.  If your happy with another COD and another and another.......

In short, it's YOU that is the problem!
The games shouldn't change to accommodate the players, the players should learn how to play and enjoy the fucking games!
From a capitalist perspective this will never happen but as a mod of a game from the 90's it proudly can and imo should.  Maintain your integrity, don't sellout to these morons that want a candy ass game, let them go play WoW or hello kitty or whatever retarded horseshit they'll play for 2 days before going on to the next buffet of horseshit they'll sit down to chow down on.  After years of feasting and gorging on horseshit instant gratification games maybe one day they'll pull there heads out of there poopy assholes and discover there is a whole world of different types and genres of games?  Nah, probably not........
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:32:17 am by TKs-KaBoom »
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?

avv

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:10 am »

The games shouldn't change to accommodate the players, the players should learn how to play

You mean using multilogs and making specific alts for every task?

Fonline will never be a casual because it has full loot and open pvp. So stop worrying.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 01:42:39 pm »

Fonline will never be a casual because it has full loot and open pvp. So stop worrying.

It is casual for me. Casual mining and driving around.

avv

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:24 pm »

Had we more players, instead of mining casually you would become a casualty.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:21 pm »

Horatio was critically hit by boredom in the motivation for 9001 points and were killed.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:59 pm »

You don't even play atm. How can you tell others to get along with things you yourself aren't experiencing?

i might not be playing now, but when i logged on and checked my bank account, i had like 300k caps in it, not playing like a boss  8)

Gunstar

• drama queen dead millionaire/h4x0r
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 02:00:01 am »

So the issue is getting mad because trying to get brahmin hides to make a tent to store things which from there makes the game that much easier when you have a supply of things.

Why not just have a 10 brahmin hide quest in all the starting towns, do some interesting quest with a good witty story and there we go its noob friendly.

Its just stupid that noobs rely so heavily on some veteran player to make them a tent rather than doing something fun and reading a witty story with some funny dialog to get their first tent.

But you know what the trick is to starting out? You make 2 characters, make one of them some unarmed or melee preferably unarmed and rambo vs brahmins and then hide the hides somewhere in town, relog to your starting character that you want to level that uses guns etc, pick up the hides and repeat this until you have 10. That is how I did it at begining of this session as player #21 no help, no guy giving me hides its pretty simple, and as kaboom says you have to use your brain in this game if you want to get anywhere. But anyways point being the trick is to kill brahmins and hide their hides in some spot behind a wall or some low player traffic area and pick them all up once you reach 10.

This isn't a hold your hand compas game and I actually find this game more challenging than the single player game, and this game takes a lot of creative thinking and problem solving to get anywhere. But I have to say for somebody who did not play fallout1/2 and tried this game who is a call of duty or wow player forget it they wouldn't last a minute.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:20:45 am by Gunstar »

greenthumb

• Surprisingly, the location has moved.
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:59 pm »

damn you guys, what would i do if all newbies could get 10 hides themselves? :P
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 2.695 seconds with 22 queries.