"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:32:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Make the game more newb friendly  (Read 2703 times)

Make the game more newb friendly
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:26:57 am »

this game isnt newb friendly at all and thats the problem.
if u want to have good game you need solid base of players playing it and also what u need is constant flow of new players.

when i started playing i was very close of quitting. was reading wiki and i learned that i need to make a tent. i got few brahmin hides and died. got it again and died again and so on and on. then i was lucky enough to meet one of my countryman in NCR who helped me to get my first tent (ty BigGunThug) and that kept me playing.

so i suggest that u implement an easy quest that will get u 10 brahmin hides to get your first tent. after u get the tent its easy. u can pile up some loot and continue playing.

quest should be something easy to make. like travel from VC to NCR and then to Hub and deliver message, or something like that. rly simple, possible to do it only once not to exploit.

this solution is very simple, doesn't require lot of programing (people tend t forget that when they make various suggestions) and should be easy to implement.

u finish the quest, get 10 brahmin hides, make the tent so u have something to start from and u can play normally.

maybe you can also add that you get some basic weapons, like spear, spiked knuckles,  mauser and some ammo. some caps would be also nice, like 500. all that loot wouldn't affect in game economy on any negative way and it would help new player to have something to start with.

also u should work on advertisment and try to attract some more players, because at this tempo the game is losing more players than its getting and you will be left with only a small group of hardcore players playing.
as i understand u barely have money for servers, so the players by themselfs can help with this by advertising the game on their national forums.

maybe u could implement referal links to encourage players to get new players to the game.
you could implement some achivments for recruiting players. people love to get achivments.  dont pay in caps, it will get exploited by alt chars.   

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
Re: Make the game more newb friendly
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:23 am »

nah.... seriously this game is pretty pathetically easy.  Sure the first time you play it is  frustratingly "difficult", but to some extent that's part of its charm.  Being able to accomplish a goal, making your first tent is a thrilling exhilarating experience!  If you actually sit down, read the wiki, plan out what to do, it isn't hard to do all by yourself.  For example, make your char in the planner, do the first few quests in ncr.  Gather up some fruit and flint and then wood, make rotgut.  Take rotgut and make molotovs, then go kill some mantis.  There you should be lvl 3.Right now you DON'T need a tent, you don't have anything!  Do some more basic quests like the goofy ones up in modoc to VC, ez.  By about level 4 or 5 you should be able to go to 38,x (I forget right now...) with a crafted mauser and weak healing powders in turnbased and get 10 moo moos quite easily.  If you can't do this, your really just too lazy to play this game imo and the game isn't going to get any better for you anyways....  To say that 90% of the population of the world isn't cut out to play a game without instant gratification and hello kitty (or WoW) easiness is an understatement.

Oh and I forgot, if you need helpful people and your not a complete asshole, try IRC #thelastlight.  There are many people there that will probably help you get your first tent.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:45:50 am by TKs-KaBoom »
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:29 am »

nah.... seriously this game is pretty pathetically easy.  Sure the first time you play it is  frustratingly "difficult", but to some extent that's part of its charm.  Being able to accomplish a goal, making your first tent is a thrilling exhilarating experience!  If you actually sit down, read the wiki, plan out what to do, it isn't hard to do all by yourself.  For example, make your char in the planner, do the first few quests in ncr.  Gather up some fruit and flint and then wood, make rotgut.  Take rotgut and make molotovs, then go kill some mantis.  There you should be lvl 3.Right now you DON'T need a tent, you don't have anything!  Do some more basic quests like the goofy ones up in modoc to VC, ez.  By about level 4 or 5 you should be able to go to 38,x (I forget right now...) with a crafted mauser and weak healing powders in turnbased and get 10 moo moos quite easily.  If you can't do this, your really just too lazy to play this game imo and the game isn't going to get any better for you anyways....  To say that 90% of the population of the world isn't cut out to play a game without instant gratification and hello kitty (or WoW) easiness is an understatement.

Oh and I forgot, if you need helpful people and your not a complete asshole, try IRC #thelastlight.  There are many people there that will probably help you get your first tent.
and tell me, in that process how many times will new play die and he will be forced to start over getting stuff so he can lose it again?

new people should be able to play the game not be forced to read the wiki and the forums be4 they start to play.

and the point is not to scare off new players in the first day they start to play. you need to attract them and encourage them to play the next day also.

TKs-KaBoom

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:04:31 pm »

and tell me, in that process how many times will new play die and he will be forced to start over getting stuff so he can lose it again?

new people should be able to play the game not be forced to read the wiki and the forums be4 they start to play.

and the point is not to scare off new players in the first day they start to play. you need to attract them and encourage them to play the next day also.

Pick an easier game.... :o
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »

Pick an easier game.... :o
ye right,
with that attitude this game will never get better.
it will only get worse.

TKs-KaBoom

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »

it's a "game", it isn't "give you everything ya want time!"  You have to "work" to accomplish "goals" hence "accomplishments".  Weapons?  No problem dilly dally around ncr, look for rangers vs mauraders, scavange scraps after rangers take their picks.  Caps?  No problem, get outdoorsman to 50, get gecko skinning in klamath, hunt geckos.  Experience?  No problem shoot mutated molerats by themepark in the eyes for 300 xp a piece.  Hides?  No problem loiter around 30:8 and 31:8, nothing but cows and weak raiders.  Too lazy to do any of these things?  YOU GOT A PROBLEM!

Black Widow

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:27:41 pm »

10hides quest? 100% support. This quest should be taken in vc/ncr/hub. Simple quest like scout area around city.

greenthumb

• Surprisingly, the location has moved.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:50:20 pm »

actualy you can get that hides on lvl 1 with any build, since you can kill at least 1 brahmin with your hands (you can do it with 60hp and 50% unarmed) then you have to bring evey hide to city and put it on some hidden place(behind wall,locker...) you can make it pretty faster if you loot some pistol from vs encounter and craft 5 weak healing powders from flower available in every enco...
even if you die you are very close to VC and to 31:8 sector.

avv

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:07:13 pm »

actualy you can get that hides on lvl 1 with any build, since you can kill at least 1 brahmin with your hands (you can do it with 60hp and 50% unarmed) then you have to bring evey hide to city and put it on some hidden place(behind wall,locker...) you can make it pretty faster if you loot some pistol from vs encounter and craft 5 weak healing powders from flower available in every enco..

You can also improve your chances with doctor-alt dual log while leveling the hide-hunter...

No but seriously, of course everything is possible if you know the game. Nuubs don't know the game at all. The best way to help them is not to teach every one of them to get tent but let the game teach them instead. Some simple quest to get those hides is just perfect.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:10:46 am »

I think would be best if all newbies will start with pregame questline before coming to main map. Like tutorial.
In this tutorial they can earn some in-game experience before playing (like how to earn hides, which cities are dangerous for newbies, how to earn money, how to save money in bank acc, etc.). No need in "free hides".
Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done.

Dark.

• I heard he came from the North.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »

Exori, it seems like that your worst nightmare is getting hides. Newbies might to NCR in the Westin Ranch part, get "A Brahmin Herdsman's Job" quest and kill brahmins for get 10 hides instead of save them from children; quest will fail and some reputation may decrease, but this metod is definitively the fastest and easiest one.

Anyway I approve this too, a little tutorial for beginners shall be helpful.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:41 pm »

Various NPCs answer questions at respawn locations and there is a crafting tutorial quest at Boneyard. But still a bugged one.

Dick McGee

• Pocket inspector
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:46:57 pm »

10hides quest? 100% support. This quest should be taken in vc/ncr/hub. Simple quest like scout area around city.

I've been thinking about this a little. I personally think that the spawn area NPCs (like the ghoul caravan or the fat guy with the dog) should give the players some more instructions on game mechanics and such. The fat man DOES give you a quest that nets you some money IIRC, but that really isn't useful if a player does not have at least 3 CH. I would like to see a noob quest where the player has to do some simple combat, like stabbing a bunch of rats to death or something. This would both give the player a crash course in combat and it could reward  something like a low tier gun (sawn off shotgun/pipe rifle/whatever). Since players can spawn in a couple different places in  the start, similar quests would have to be implemented in a few towns (I've only ever spawned at either NCR or near VC).

I'm not sure whether or not they should be able to repeat these quests (like the dog quest in the boneyard), but I feel like implementing a few things like that would give new players a way to get some crappy gear that doesn't involve getting into a fistfight with an armed raider.

vedaras

• King of the wasteland
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 11:16:50 pm »

wasteland is harsh, and only the strong survive, if you aint cool with fonline, go play tetris.

avv

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:40:35 pm »

wasteland is harsh, and only the strong survive, if you aint cool with fonline, go play tetris.

You don't even play atm. How can you tell others to get along with things you yourself aren't experiencing?
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 25 queries.