"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 11, 2024, 09:24:45 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Public Enemy  (Read 3352 times)

Latin Thug

• Bad Mad Mothafucka
Public Enemy
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:11:45 am »

I shooted some ncr rangers yesterday to take some miniguns and flamers, but today when i was entering to ncr i got shot and knocked down to the ground....

i wanna know if this is temp, or theres a way to "clean" my karma?

>:(
Dont worry, youre not gonna feel it...

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Re: Public Enemy
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:40 am »

Shouldn't it be considered a bug and reported? I mean if we're sticking with the established canon, slavery was legal in NCR and the Rangers were an underground "terrorist" organisation of sorts.

touriste

• itself!
    • French japenese teaching website
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:57:59 pm »

clearly you shot ncr rangers, i don't see why you should not be shot on sight by ncr citizens

Nice_Boat

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 02:08:43 pm »

The thing is NCR Rangers are an illegal organisation from the point of view of NCR government according to Fallout 2 lore  ::)

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 02:13:15 pm »

It may be due to the NPC spawned, wrong type of it maybe. We'll see what we can do.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »

The thing is NCR Rangers are an illegal organisation from the point of view of NCR government according to Fallout 2 lore  ::)

Did we play the same game?

"Technically part of the New California Republic military, the NCR Rangers are practically a force unto themselves. They are a select group that is pledged to protect the people of the Wastes much like the Texas Rangers of old and the Desert Rangers of Nevada. The Rangers are given exceptional leeway and flexibility to deal with both the intrusion of organized crime and the operation of slavers near the borders of NCR territory.

To this end, they employ high end equipment (Combat Armors, various assault rifles and heavy weapons and even vehicles), numerous safehouses in the wastes and unorthodox tactics, especially against their sworn enemies, the slavers. A slaver is quite likely to end up with a slug in his head if he faces a Ranger. However, their methods don't endear people to them, and NCR Rangers typically have bounties on their head, even in NCR states."

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/NCR_Rangers
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 03:53:54 pm »

"Technically part of the New California Republic military, the NCR Rangers are practically a force unto themselves. They are a select group that is pledged to protect the people of the Wastes much like the Texas Rangers of old and the Desert Rangers of Nevada. The Rangers are given exceptional leeway and flexibility to deal with both the intrusion of organized crime and the operation of slavers near the borders of NCR territory.

To this end, they employ high end equipment (Combat Armors, various assault rifles and heavy weapons and even vehicles), numerous safehouses in the wastes and unorthodox tactics, especially against their sworn enemies, the slavers. A slaver is quite likely to end up with a slug in his head if he faces a Ranger. However, their methods don't endear people to them, and NCR Rangers typically have bounties on their head, even in NCR states."

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/NCR_Rangers
Doesn't the last sentence state, that they are not really liked by people of NCR, even sometimes there are some Rangers, who might be free to kill for a bounty hunters?
Some folks got 'em and some have not
But these are the breaks
Break it up, break it up, break it up
Break down!
..guess who

Ghosthack

• Rotator
  • Bytecruncher
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »

Doesn't the last sentence state, that they are not really liked by people of NCR, even sometimes there are some Rangers, who might be free to kill for a bounty hunters?

Remember that NCR is a nation, as far as I remember they are not liked in certain places like Hub, Junktown and so on (places which are part of NCR in FO2 but you can't visit), they still are strong force of the military and guard force in the city of NCR. Also, not all Rangers have bounties on their head, it's most likely just a few of them :)

In our timeline, no other towns have yet joined NCR, so FO2 canon doesn't really apply 100%
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:08 pm »

Ok, I get it now. However, it would be a nice feature, if there are two types of Ranger encounters - one standard - "lawful" Rangers and number two - Ranger renegades or something like this. But this is another story.. :)
P.S.: If someone doesn't know the lore or doesn't get it like this (me personally not killing Rangers, just in case..), they should warn him (something like "We are legitimate Military Force of NCR, put down your weapons now!" or "We serve and protect the NCR law, hide your weapons!").
I think any legal action, which is going to affect player, should be announced before player makes a mistake, just like in real life. Many players know, what "is coming next", but there are some, who doesn't. Considering the negative Karma is hard or impossible to "repair"..
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:22:00 pm by Raegann »
Some folks got 'em and some have not
But these are the breaks
Break it up, break it up, break it up
Break down!
..guess who

Nice_Boat

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 04:33:17 pm »

I stand corrected - I was thinking that since they had a quest with a busting a legal slaver operation in NCR they weren't really liked by the government.
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 10:52:46 am »

karma is working well on caravanas. isnt a bug - this is realistic thing like long gun/ammo crafting.
you kill people(or npc's from these cities), you lost karma - simple.

Arminius

• Rat Shaman
    • arminius1453's Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 03:49:39 pm »

Slavery is illegal in NCR. The local police reinforces laws and detains slavers within the NCR, but the Rangers strike at slavery outside as an interventionist special force.

That slaver building was built outside NCR's walls, and thus, was not subject to its laws. The police could do nothing about it, but the New California Rangers, being a legal, moralist branch of the NCR military committed to attack slavery inside and outside NCR, hired the Chosen to do that, as a test for his membership.

When discussing the rangers we must understand that they employ violent methods for civilizational standards, but no different than the CIA of today outside of US jurisdiction. They're a metaphor to the interventionist, moralist vein present in the American government. And let's read again: the government gives the Rangers extra leeway: because the Congress doesn't want to be associated with the Ranger's slightly bad reputation in certain regions, they let them operate instead of the Army or the Police, lessening the association of the violence with the government, and achieving the government goals all the same.

So the Rangers are just a hidden hand of the government pulling strings inside and outside their own jurisdiction. But being they still a legal paramilitary force within NCR, attacking some of them will incur in NCR's wrath, as much as killing a Vault City guard would in VC.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 05:34:09 pm »

Slavery is illegal in NCR. The local police reinforces laws and detains slavers within the NCR, but the Rangers strike at slavery outside as an interventionist special force.

That slaver building was built outside NCR's walls, and thus, was not subject to its laws. The police could do nothing about it, but the New California Rangers, being a legal, moralist branch of the NCR military committed to attack slavery inside and outside NCR, hired the Chosen to do that, as a test for his membership.

When discussing the rangers we must understand that they employ violent methods for civilizational standards, but no different than the CIA of today outside of US jurisdiction. They're a metaphor to the interventionist, moralist vein present in the American government. And let's read again: the government gives the Rangers extra leeway: because the Congress doesn't want to be associated with the Ranger's slightly bad reputation in certain regions, they let them operate instead of the Army or the Police, lessening the association of the violence with the government, and achieving the government goals all the same.

So the Rangers are just a hidden hand of the government pulling strings inside and outside their own jurisdiction. But being they still a legal paramilitary force within NCR, attacking some of them will incur in NCR's wrath, as much as killing a Vault City guard would in VC.

damn, you can tell us what about you talking exactly ?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:39:26 pm by AmneziaHaze »

Arminius

• Rat Shaman
    • arminius1453's Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

damn, you can tell us what about you talking exactly ?

Tell you, to others it should be obvious. I was adding to Ghosthack's information of the NCR rangers and linking it to the murder of that fellow who entered NCR, it's completely pertinent. Just scroll up a bit, for godsakes, no amnesia can't be that serious.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 18 queries.