"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 04, 2024, 10:50:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Tips for new player] Read this! So you don't die stupidly as I did.  (Read 3676 times)

After I tried to go into Vault City Council without knowing it is restricted and then got killed, at the same time losing 20 superstimpak today,
I decided to make a thread like this, so no1 has to die the same stupid way as I did, if they read.

You can help too by input your own experience or give advice so that new player can avoid dying stupidly.

So first about Vault City,
If you are not a citizen of VC, do not try to go through the inner gate, you will get killed the moment you try to open it.
There is a quest to become a VC citzen, talk to the guard on the right of the inner gate, however, whatever options you choose in the chat dialog, DO NOT choose the one with "prepare to die" (I got killed by accidently clicking that option and lost 5k caps)
So even after you become a citizen of VC, you can't get into Vault City Council; you can try to open its front door, but then you will be shot by 4 mini-guns. (I am not sure if there is any quest or reputation thing that grant you access, but if you wanna try, go naked)
And I guess Vault City Council is not equal to Vault City Headquarters where you can find Lily (correct me if i am wrong)

Junktown,
When it is night time, the gate of Junktown is closed. If you try to force in, sometimes the guards will shoot you; when I say sometimes, yes, there are times they will just let you pass during the night, but you have to try you luck, or if your reputation with junktown is high enough (please comment, I read it somewhere, but not sure if it is 100% correct)

NCR,
Most new player learn it the hard way, in the inner city, you have to unequip your weapon from your active slot, or die.

Boneyard,
Boneyard is a partly guarded town, some sections of the Boneyard is not guarded, so watch out for player killers camping in those sections.

Re: [Tips for new player] Read this! So you don't die stupidly as I did.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »

DO NOT choose the one with "prepare to die"
Ahahahah, yeah that's very stupid way to die.

Junktown,
When it is night time, the gate of Junktown is closed. If you try to force in, sometimes the guards will shoot you; when I say sometimes, yes, there are times they will just let you pass during the night, but you have to try you luck, or if your reputation with junktown is high enough (please comment, I read it somewhere, but not sure if it is 100% correct)
All you need is not to be in any faction. If you're loner without any faction you can enter Junktown at night.

NCR,
Most new player learn it the hard way, in the inner city, you have to unequip your weapon from your active slot, or die.
Also no drugs and, may be, beer, but don't know about beer, it's fixed or not.

Boneyard,
Boneyard is a partly guarded town, some sections of the Boneyard is not guarded, so watch out for player killers camping in those sections.
You'll be REALLY unlucky, if you find a PK there, or at least anyone alive without artifical intelligence, it's like Necropolise.
Also the same about Hub, there're also some unguarded locations, I even once killed untagged thief there, who tryed to run away from my demolisher... few grenades turned him into pieces, I got small penalty to my reputation at Hub, but guards did nothing, because there're no guards at 2 locations (West and South, can't remember it's names).

Edit:
1) Also aware of mass players near doorways. They can block you with both sides, so you'll stay in doorway, then get <blocker> tag, they kill you and loot.
2) Aware NCR's workbrench, I don't know where guards are standing now (don't playing long time), but if you stay at top right corner of the room and use workbrench and there's a player at bottom left hex of you and guard at right hex, thief will come to bottom right hex and can do whatever he want, 'cause you can't move, so you should fast press "<" button  twice to face him to make less % to steal something from you.
Just remember, there don't need a player, if you use workbrench while standing at top right corner of room, there're only 2 hexes avaible to walk to (bottom right and right), but at right of you usually standing guard, and bottom right is a place from a thief.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:15:03 pm by UbiValkin »
Changed nickname. This acc not in use anymore. Please, devs/mods/gms/ whoever, you can delete it.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »

Talking about NCR,
Avoid the main entrance too!
Use the City preview, and enter it from Votris Holding Center.
Why?
There are too many suicide bomber in NCR, they just love to blow up people gathered at the main entrance.
Sometimes they even bomb the workbench, so just be very cautious in NCR.

The wasteland is dangerous, but NCR is no better.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:00:47 pm »

When you create your tent try to place it at least 2 squares away from any city.If someone tries to tag and follow you it will give you a chance to see him before its too late.Look for an extra name on the left side of the map screen where your name is.

Greifers,in my experiance they tend to bother the people that act like they give a shit.Ive ignored bombers and theives only to see them fuck with someone who tries to run all over the place to escape them.Its also a good idea to not give them a reason to bother you by keeping anything you care about out of the city.

Try to figure out the most quiet time on the server to run and do simple little quests in ungaurded towns like Reno if your alone.As many times as Ive made a new guy not once have I been killed by a pk in a dangerous place while trying to do simple beginner quests.

If your with a friend in an unsafe place try to keep a little distance from eachother so a rocket doesnt end up killing you both at the same time.Rockets explode and they dont play favorites.

There is more but I dont feel like typing it all out right now.Goodluck to all the noobs out there.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:17:18 pm »

This one is less of keeping yourself from getting killed, more of keeping your mercs from getting killed.  MAKE SURE THEY ARE UNARMED IN THE CITY AND SET THEM TO "Do not attack unless you get hit"

Also, there needs to be a way to deactivate the auto-loot on mercs,  because I ran into an NCR Caravan fighting Scorpions, Brahmins, and Marauders.  He tried looting a Marauder after the fighting was over, one of the Caravan guards yelled "DON'T COME ANY CLOSER" and blasted his right side clean off...  Which that was a waste of 1,600 hard earned caps.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:58:19 am »

Do not take the trait "Fast Shoot" if you want to make a sniper. In the description stands only: You have no time to aim, it means you cannot longer do it ;)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 11:00:18 am »

Do not take the trait "Fast Shoot" if you want to make a sniper. In the description stands only: You have no time to aim, it means you cannot longer do it ;)
This is "[Tips for new player] Read this! So you don't die stupidly as I did." thread... not "Don't take Fast Shot trait! So you can't do aimed shots as I did!"

If I pick Fast Shot trait I won't die instantly, so this trait is safe for staying alive...
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:06:16 am »

My char died because I cant longer play it and have to start a new one. But if this thread is only about ways a char can really die ingame, the you are right and I am wrong

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »

anyone knows these things already.
put something new information.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:55 pm »

If your HP below or equal -20 you'll die!

Kryptozoolog

• First ask ME and than ill shoot YOU
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »

we all are going to die soon or later
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »

Don't ever go to NCR without using the preview button. Just don't.
<Izual> Let's crash server

FischiPiSti

• frikkin' SledgeHammer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:50:33 pm »

There is no spoon.

In Vault City be carefull at the inner gate, sometimes theres an interface bug(tho it may have been fixed) where the guard chick in front of the gate is not interactive. Instead, when you try to talk to her, the character reaches for the gate, and BAM!
Me and my friend died that way, so allways check if the icon shows a HAND instead of a face, then do NOT click!
Troll.
HtH suggestions: Melee: +DR(PA)
Unarmed: +AC(active sneak should boost AC as they are "less visible")
General "class" idea pool in the form of new perks with high skillrequirements: http://anarchyonline.wikia.com/wiki/Professions

Lacan

• [TSAR]Sol & [TSAR]Ketur
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:40 pm »

Damn i'm still a bit irritated by this one... But you might avoid it now.

Poison insta kill you when you reach 0hp, and when you use FA you are weakened for a while. and NOW poison is much more dangerous : advice is, BE AWARE OF POISON. And dont think that when it reaches 0hp you will be able to get FA from someone to get you up.

Radscorpions gave me few lvls of poison (my char has 6 end and my HP were really goin down), and i couldnt be healed because of my FA weakened state, which stopped just before i reached 0hp and died.

you are warned !
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.