"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 04:16:46 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An idea of faster developing  (Read 1341 times)

An idea of faster developing
« on: August 19, 2012, 09:43:29 pm »

We still are hearing that Devs got no time for developing, that they got their own lifes etc. etc. - you all know that, right? And it's nothing wrong, we all do have private things to do and same as devs dont develope 24/7 we don't play (test) the game 24/7.
But the works on FO:2238 go slowly, sometimes stops for weeks and even months between updates - what makes us a little bit nervous, either way players and same devs.

Since Devs released FO SDK more and more players try to write their own scripts, and some of them even started creating their own servers - but wouldn't it be simpler and faster to just stick to one server, FO:2238?
The idea is simple and it's a little bit based on how it works in Second Life - players there can create their own "things" (just almost everything) by writing scripts in special coding language. Sounds familiar?

To be more exact I suggest to let players create their own scripts - without any circumstances, let us make whatever we want - and post them in special board, where it could be read by devs and then accepted or denied.

It would make developing much faster and suggestions would not longer be just speaking - but creating. And, to be honest, I see literally no cons of this idea - if someone has nothing to do with his time, why couldn't he at least try to help with developing the server?
Re: An idea of faster developing
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:23:47 pm »

To be more exact I suggest to let players create their own scripts - without any circumstances, let us make whatever we want - and post them in special board, where it could be read by devs and then accepted or denied.

Go create your own scripts, none is forcing you to not script something and then just make some suggestions or provide these scripts to a developer via PM, a special board won't motivate players to do stuff for 2238, anyone who is willing to help will find a way if he/she is able to and want to.

It would make developing much faster and suggestions would not longer be just speaking - but creating.

Sorcery! That is possible right now, make a suggestion, attach scripts, though i don't see anyone doing that, some food to process for you.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:31:27 pm by T-888 »
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:29:12 pm »

FFS, it's not about sending those scripts to devs - what you can actually do now, as you said - but it's about creating the whole community of... helpers, younger developers, I guess.

You see, atm there isn't really any motivation to create scripts as we know the devs attitude to such things as helping and even suggesting (sic!).
If there would exist such board there would be some kind of motivation as developers acceptance to such action. And now you wouldn't probably get even response for your mail with scrip. And even if somehow you managed to convince players to create and send their work to devs, they could send many times same thing, without knowledge someone has done this before.
And on such board, devs could (should?) post project which may be done and there is lack of scripts.

And stop behaving like kiddo. You seems like you don't want this game having progress at all.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:30:56 pm by Pandaeb »
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:31:59 pm »

FFS, it's not about sending those scripts to devs - what you can actually do now, as you said - but it's about creating the whole community of... helpers, younger developers, I guess.

If you are a good scripter and actually provide some good solutions, or hell even planned features, you'd be developing the server much faster.

See how easy that is, scripts are basically falling from the sky already, i can feel it!!!

You see, atm there isn't really any motivation to create scripts as we know the devs attitude to such things as helping and even suggesting!

So you want developers of 2238 to change their attitude? Implement attitude!!

I've said it before and i will say it again, i ain't living in candy land and some special board won't change a damn thing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:37:20 pm by T-888 »

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:28:50 am »

I don't know how the programming shop is set up, but generally you have a project manager that only knows "the what" and not really "the how" and writes up a project spec then delegates to a team of programmers that work on a single repository, blah blah blah.  Big picture architect with programmers implementing the design.  System development life cycle.  Also need QA, (that's us bozos the community I guess) using a bug tracking system.  Or you can all do whatever you like and see what happens, what could possibly go wrong right?  Nvm........
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?

JovankaB

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:55:19 am »

Since Devs released FO SDK

Just a little clarification, it's not 2238 devs who released SDK, although some of them contribute to FOnline development.
Home of SDK and FOnline engine is fonline.ru and the main author is cvet. We have own SDK board on this forum, that's all.

Also, it was actually released long time ago.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:01:41 am by JovankaB »

Gob

• The Good
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:15:28 am »

Everywhere I go I only read "scripts scripts scripts scripts scripts scripts" . I bet you people could teach the devs a few things about making scripts right? Now go and "scripts" somewhere else will ya.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:14 am »

Everywhere I go I only read "scripts scripts scripts scripts scripts scripts" . I bet you people could teach the devs a few things about making scripts right? Now go and "scripts" somewhere else will ya.

Well I take it that it's obvious that you don't so this "discussion" is totally lost on you. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DA86rsKOjo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DA86rsKOjo</a>
Thanks for playing and please come again!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:47:00 am by TKs-KaBoom »
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.