"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 01:11:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spitballing an alternate leveling/combat system.  (Read 2359 times)

Spitballing an alternate leveling/combat system.
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:58:47 pm »

I'm thinking that certain skills should be grouped together in sets of three like this:

Small Guns
Big Guns
Energy Weapons

Unarmed
Melee Weapons
Throwing

Sneak
Lockpick
Steal

First Aid
Doctor
Science

Traps
Repair
Outdoorsman

Speech
Barter
Gambling

Tagging skills would be gone but putting a point into a group would increase each skill in that group by 1%, but you could lower one skill to add to another before finalizing the level up. Essentially 3 points to redistribute allowing for specialization or general proficiency. Perks would be every 2 levels and powerful perks would be broken up, ie better crits would be 2 10% perks. Skill points from int would have to be reworked.

Changes/additions to perks to make them more useful/help with balance:

AC hit reduction changed to a flat miss %, this will affect all attackers equally regardless of distance and remove 95% miss rates. Im thinking a max dodge of 60% over 3 perks, two of which are hth exclusive.

Pill Popper: reduce the ap cost of using drugs to 1 ap. (replace useless quick pockets)

Hit the deck: add 30% to dodge splash damage

Practiced Hands: Reduce ap cost of non combat actions by 1 (fa/doc/science/stealing/traps/gathering)

Polished armour: Identical to toughness but against EW

Ghoulification: Rads don't reduce stats and instead increase hp regen

Fast Shot: should affect single shot weapons like flamer and RL

Bonus move: Add 2 to stamina regen (see below)

Other changes regarding combat:

Burst weapons:
-Remove ability to crit with burst weapons
-Burst doesn't spread into 3 lanes like before unless the bullet misses the main target, so 30/30 bullets hitting possible beyond 1hex.
-Each bullet after the first has a lower chance to hit increasing by 5% each bullet.
-missed bullets have a chance to hit anyone in the lanes on either side

Sniping:
-scoped weapons have similar mechanics to scoped hunting rifle regarding min/max range
-Only pistols can do eye shots
-Increased crit multiplier dmg

Stamina: When in combat you can only run as many hexes as your endurance allows using a formula based on equipped weapon before you are forced to walk. So 1 handed weapons/2handed weapons/BG  and leather/ca/metal/pa
from longest run to shortest. Stamina points would function similar to ap but be based on endurance instead of agility and only function for movement. Outside of combat running would function normally.

Combat mode: Combat mode would only be entered when you shoot or get hit, someone shooting and missing would not refresh the cd.

Anyways let me know what you guys think, suggestions etc. I think we need to move away from the outdated fallout system its a good base but wasn't by any means perfect or intended for an mmo.

Cyber Jesus

• I piss excellence
Re: Spitballing an alternate leveling/combat system.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »

-Remove ability to crit with burst weapons
-Only pistols can do eye shots

If this gets implemented I will quit this game

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

• Some random guy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:06:34 pm »

yaay, go ahead and quit, I like the idea of no crits with bursting
Back In-Game :D
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09:01 pm »

crit bursts are retarded, whole point of crit is balancing low dmg weapons with high damage consistent weapons. One shotting pvp builds shouldn't be possible. Also shooting someone in the eye at range is impossible, pistols need to have some kind of advantage.

Cyber Jesus

• I piss excellence
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »

crit bursts are retarded, whole point of crit is balancing low dmg weapons with high damage consistent weapons. One shotting pvp builds shouldn't be possible. Also shooting someone in the eye at range is impossible, pistols need to have some kind of advantage.
All of my bgs are crit bursters so I will have even more useless alts(unless it gets implemented after wipe) and I'm pretty sure that everybody will disagree about only pistols being able to aim at eyes
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »

All of my bgs are crit bursters so I will have even more useless alts(unless it gets implemented after wipe) and I'm pretty sure that everybody will disagree about only pistols being able to aim at eyes

This is just an exercise, feel free to complain or suggest something. I'm just hoping the devs see some good ideas here any changes would obviously come after a wipe if ever.

@xsinger its in discussion not suggestions because its a work in progress
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:38:09 pm by Roachor »

Xisingr Will

• Healing, Healing, and more Healing
    • http://fonline2238.net/forum/
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:53 pm »

I like most of the ideas on here, but for only being able to shoot at eyes with a pistol i dont agree with, maybe make something so that you can shoot at eyes with sniper rifles and others but have to be at least 3 hexes away to aim good, so that the advantage of pistols is to be able to shoot at the eyes from anywhere and not have to be 3 hexes away, i also think that all weapons should be evened out, so there is no "sucky noob weapons" and just weapons, overall nice suggestion though!

Edit: btw shouldnt this be in suggestions?
I am a Medic NonCombat Carebear APK Gorgon, get over it.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:03:41 am »

I'm not sure if I agree with all your groupings, but it would be cool if building up all the thief skills (sneak, lockpick, steal) would unlock some kind of special perks for the overall thief class character. Something like a job system from Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle where if you reach certain criteria you can morph into a higher class.

Also reworking AC into a flat hit reduction balanced against the ultimate hit chance would probably be a good idea. Say cap any weapons skill to 200% and debuff any enemies or AC accordingly. Make it so armor has natural "always on" AC, add agility and any "ninja" bonuses to that, and then balance vs. the chance to hit.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 12:31:51 am »

The grouping skills by 3 I don't really see as improved to the current system (might have agreed with it before this wipe when so many alts were needed)

Ac reduction, I personally would prefer a system where you lose AC 10-15 per shot aimed at you and start to regain it after you exit battle (which would mean missed shots would indeed start your combat timer)

Bursting change, seems like it would hurt miniguns a lot while LSW/M60 too much.  (Removal of crits would be interesting)

Aiming, Pistols should be able to be aimed at any range while rifles require 5-10 hexes from the target to do so

Stamina, Kind of like the idea but I hate it being based off of endurance as that is already one of if not the most important special.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:36 am »

Stamina, Kind of like the idea but I hate it being based off of endurance as that is already one of if not the most important special.

Stamina logically follows from Endurance.

This would hurt my suicide trolls.
1 End.
:(
I wish there were bags, backpacks, etc. in Fonline.
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:10 pm »

This looks very interesting. I don't agree with that eye shots for pistols only and that Ghoulification should have some drawbacks, for example it could decrase your stats regardless of radiation level.

Grouping skills would practically increase total amount of skill points, 1 point raises 3 skills which means 3% for 1 SP.

If stamina is based on endurance, maybe agility could affect running speed of player?

And I like that idea of solid dodge chance instead of AC which works with distance, just make sure it's not too overpowered.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:18 pm »

running speed can't be changed before 3d, I like endurance for it because most people already invest in it and special points are already spread out thin enough. Plus its logical.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 05:51:02 pm »

Well i think that for running speed is more logical agility becouse endurance means you can run longer but not faster... but it doesn't matter, what matters is game balance.
If running speed can be changed only after start of 3d era, why are mutants running slower then player?

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:08:10 pm »

running speed can't be changed before 3d
It's not true, animation speed while running can be changed for 2D, but it looks ... weird.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »

It's not true, animation speed while running can be changed for 2D, but it looks ... weird.

I mean you cant have differing speed, there is walk speed and running speed. You can make walk animation running speed but you can't make someone run faster than anyone else.

Other recent thoughts:

-Pyromaniac adds to base damage
-Flamer ap cost changed to 6

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.