"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 06:18:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An untraditional sniper/crit fix  (Read 1879 times)

avv

An untraditional sniper/crit fix
« on: July 07, 2012, 06:03:55 pm »

To reduce randomness and increase the level of competition and strategy I represent a humble idea to fix how critical hits work.
Introduce a new feature, call it Focus. It is aplied to all targets who are being shot by a player with crit chance. When you shoot someone, 5 squares appear on his hud.

The 5 squares will turn red after each attack, depending on your crit chance. The 5 squares represent 100%, so if you get hit by a guy with 20% crit chance, one square turns red. After once they reach 100%, the player will receive a guaranteed crit.
If the target goes beyond your line of sight, you will lose your focus on him slowly. Something like 10-20%/second. An interesting rule could be that intelligence makes focus disppear faster because your char is "outsmarting" the enemy.
Basically this means that if sniper is shooting at you, you have to take cover or receive a crit very soon.

If you target another bodypart or change weapon, you will lose half of your focus on the target right away. Or just reset the focus, can't say for sure yet.

Target can't see his how much focus someone has on him.

Focus could be turned off for those who it's no use, mainly non-crit builds.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
Re: An untraditional sniper/crit fix
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 06:33:50 pm »

Personally i think it-s a very good idea,and it shouldn t be hard to implement.Only issue would be balance it.I m not sure of how many hits can be scored before a decent critical.Too many anyway.
And therefore,if we have a 5 red dot character we have a clear crit,right..?So,what-s the point in more crit,even more crit perks...?
Indeed, perhaps one day we shall meet
Out in the country, or maybe on the street
Until that day here shall I wait
For death or for life, whichever my fate

avv

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 06:36:58 pm »

And therefore,if we have a 5 red dot character we have a clear crit,right..?So,what-s the point in more crit,even more crit perks...?

Once you score a crit, the focus resets.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 06:38:41 pm »

A good suggestion. :)
Shame that it will drown in the depths of section after it will be discussed to death.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

But it'll buff critical bursters more than critical single shooters, what won't be good.
Imagine you're 35% (all perks, 10 lk, finesse) critical double shot avenger or gatling.
It means that if you shoot twice, your 1st burst will have 1/3 (35%) that your target will be dead. Second shot will have 2 rolls, 35% because of your critical chance and 35% because of focus. It means you'll have 57.57% that at least 1 roll will succeed and your 2nd burst will kill target if 1st wasn't critical.
As for snipers, their criticals suck so much now, that it won't help, .223 pistol SD better crit vs pijama without any anti-crit perks doing so "much" damage, so that 1st leveled pijama will 1) turn around, look at me and then start laugh or 2) will be knocked out, but still laugh with /e because of ridiculous low damage. Now imagine if he would have anti-crit perk and trait and I had no SD but did normal critical as standard sniper, he wouldn't even notice it, until I'll spend whole magazine on him and then he, may be, die. And if he's not 1st lvl pijama, then I'll need to spend on him so much ammo, that my carry weight won't allow me to carry, moreover he'll need to just stand still and look at me while I'm doing this, damn I better just burst him with any SG I find, it'll be much faster. But it's all off-topic, my main argument is that it'll buff critical bursts, in your post there is no words that it won't work on un-targeted shots, but you mention "snipers" and said nothing about bursts, so if you suggest it to work on bursts too, then it's not good idea. And if they will debuff critical bursts so much, then no one ever will simply do them anymore, as there will be almost no difference between critical and non-critical bursters, except for perk consumption.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »

Current system is good enough, needs to be balanced.

I don't see any point of this, currently all you have to do is line up enough shots and numbers don't lie about how much shots are going to be critical, with this system you still have to line up x shots to get y critical hits, same chance can be calculated to obtain a critical hit( it will be 50% almost each time, because snipers usually stick to shooting one body part, with 50% critical chance in any body part you will have to do always 2 shots to score a critical hit, it's the same 50% with current system, if someone has 50% chance to score a critical, only with your system the first shot is never gonna be a critical one). The only thing that players would be able to bypass this, snipers get less effective and predictable, balancing this could be a much harder task. Furthermore i don't think this would be easy to implement.

What are you talking about? There's no roll with focus, shoot once with 35% crit chance, 35% focus is applied for target, shoot twice then those are 70%, third time it's upgraded to a critical, because focus exceeds 100% on target, focus then resets.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:10:30 pm by T-888 »

Spotty

• Wuff Wuff!!!
    • Crazy 88
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:10:25 pm »

Think ravenous is right. Maybe not good idea. 20critchance snipers will crit every 13 secs, 25 every 10 and 35 every 8 for sure. It would make plasmatanks more vulnerable since they need to survive 10 secs without using a ss in order to score a crit. Not worth it. They need the randomness of the crit calculation.

A sniperline could crit the whole incoming bg line in less then 10 secs. And as ravenous said; critbursters would be replaced by brd damage dealers.
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/
img19/4053/c88.png
"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil."
- Niccolo Machiavelli -
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 07:17:18 pm »

lol players understand that this feature is bad for the wrong reasons, this doesn't buff anything, nerfs the shit out everything.

Player A shoots with a LSW and 35% chance to crit, with current system one shot out of 3 will be a critical hit, and with avv's system it's still 3 shots to obtain a critical hit, only you have the ability to wait out on focus for it do drop, constantly avoiding focus appliance. If two players shoot with 35% chance to crit on one target, they have to do still 3 shots in total to do a critical hit, in either system the player is fucked.

anyway 35% crit chance bursters are a bad joke.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:20:52 pm by T-888 »

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:20:25 pm »

T-888 is right, crits aren't random if we talk macroscale and basing some stuff on chance means less predictability in microscale and more need for contingency planning, which makes the game more complicated and tactical, not less so. Furthermore, removing those mechanics sucks out the tension because you always know what's going to happen if you're aware of your surroundings - and that leads to "gamey" tactics replacing "realistic" tactics. Simple example - group A is moving behind some buildings with a group of snipers overwatching the open space between them. Right now they'd have to plan for successful movement and for taking casualties, with avvs critical mechanics they'd just move without giving a fuck, wait for their focus levels to drop and continue doing whatever it was they were planning on doing. Simplistic, boring and reducing the need to conceal your movement. I can accept the drive to remove 1HKOs because they give you no warning and no way to react, but this is just taking that line of reasoning way too far.

Besides, even if introduced this "focus" should work like bleed, poison etc. in Dark Souls - every hit fills up the gauge for the target, so if two people with 50% applied crit fire at a dude once he should be critted by the second shot and everything that follows until his "focus" level drops below 100%. Shit'd still suck though and would require complete rebalancing of every weapon in the game. I hope the devs post some guidelines as to what the final weapon balance is supposed to be so that those threads stop appearing and we might finally start being constructive and help them achieve their goals.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:37:26 pm by Nice_Boat »

avv

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »

The focus doesn't have to work exactly like I described, but you get the idea: planned actions instead of daring the odds when it comes to crits.

If you played critbuild, your strategy would be to rout the enemy so that he stays in your LOS all the time. You couldn't pop in and out from cover, but noncrit builds could do this but their weakness is that they always do the same damage. Crit build would have to choose between being a tank or fast critdealer because keeping enemy in your LOS means you will take damage.

I can't argue for this idea much, it's presented and people have to make their own conclusions how they want crits to work. Personally I'm not a big fan of sudden instakills or KOs that end mine or my pals action in that instant. At the moment gameplay flows in such cycle that if you die, you simply fastrelog, it is the way to counter sudden randomness. If randomness has a decisive role on survival, bringing more fast relogs means more chances because you throw in more dices. If plans decide the winner, the power of spamming fast relogs is reduced.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 07:42:56 pm »

Avv, you seem to be forgetting the simple fact that in order to be KO'd and taken out you have to get shot and run out of luck first. What you're proposing would reduce the risk involved with taking fire, making using cover less of a priority - and it's not like the use of terrain isn't simplistic and rough as it stands. Smart maneuvering would be replaced by stat based stuff, as shit like using your max range properly or keyholing the enemy whenever possible wouldn't be effective anymore. It's just bad gameplay for a tactical shooter (and that's how FOnline PvP works), firearms are supposed to be dangerous but not 100% effective, the current combat mechanics convey that notion pretty well. If it works, no need to fix it.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »

I hope the devs post some guidelines as to what the final weapon balance is supposed to be so that those threads stop appearing and we might finally start being constructive and help them achieve their goals.

Though luck for that, some " guidlines " were already provided.

Solar boosted avenger miniguns damage because it was planned to be a rare weapon, he buffed lazer rifle because flat numbers on a paper told him to, no matter of his tests, i precisely pointed out how his tests were incorrect, he was conducting DPS tests with a lazer rifle only shooting on head( he said the DPS is FINE ), though a great deal of shots are hit in eyes that makes a huge difference in damage per second.(bypass/crit chance) So then he wanted to make RBtE a useful perk by buffing helmet critical modifiers forgeting that it will make any other build close to useless who can't afford that perk, resulting in a massive nerf for critical hits without it, good example is a plasma tank, no RBtE, no party ... sometimes this feels so hopeless.

Nice_Boat

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »

Yeah, that's why they should present it all in descriptive terms first instead of making kneejerk nerfs and buffs whenever something seems to be wrong to stop people from trying to redesign the entire system or posting revolutionary ideas like this one. We need a set of standards and a place to discuss evolutionary ways of achieving them, not a perpetual campaign of people posting random stuff that'd make the game cater to their individual tastes more.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 08:00:14 pm »

bringing more fast relogs means more chances because you throw in more dices. If plans decide the winner

Those my good friend aren't dices, those are planned actions, you can predict that and act appropriately.

What i'm saying, there is nothing random about FR.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:04:45 pm by T-888 »

Sarakin

• Zmikundik
    • Vault šílené brahmíny
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 04:11:18 am »

Why dont we just decrease crit. burst dmg (I wouldnt mind if we even raise the chance for a crit. burst to compensate) instead of this complicated rework ?
The sanctity of this forum has been fouled

[19:41:06] <@JovankaB> einstein said we dont need name colorizing
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.