Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611698 times)

Offline Gray

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #375 on: November 30, 2010, 09:53:52 am »
Great, as usual.
When I'll finish the Metal Armor, I'll come for the Leather Armor texture ;)
I guess, it will be based on a prison VB suit.

P.S. Please, don't convert textures into JPEG, it loose some quality. PNG is lossless.

P.P.S.
I've covered the CA model with new texture and I am disappointed. In Russia we say "The Best one is an enemy of Good one"
Just look:

I'll use some parts of the texture, but nor the whole.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:48:55 am by Gray »

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #376 on: November 30, 2010, 10:13:01 am »
Black leather ain' easy. Even at 512x512 the texture is too small to show the details that leather has. And then it's black, can't do much with black (it's on the edge of the tonal range).

A uniform texture overlay won't work this time. Baking from a hi poly mesh and then adding belts, clams etc. would be the best way.
Maybe something can be stolen from some other game textures ;)
Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.

Offline Gray

« Reply #377 on: November 30, 2010, 10:50:27 am »
Black leather ain' easy.
No, the black one is present in VB. I'm talking about green leather.

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #378 on: November 30, 2010, 11:02:20 am »
I'll leave the CA texture alone. The basic one looks way better.

Offline Rascal

• FOnline2!
« Reply #379 on: November 30, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »
damn no offence but when i'm looking at all those 3d models i want just to vomit.

2d rules. rats and ants are totally fucked.....  bring back cool original fallout 2d models :(

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #380 on: November 30, 2010, 07:49:59 pm »
The people here are doing a good job and need to be respected for, but I agree, I just hate the look of this new 3d Stuff. Dunno whats wrong with the original critters, they are fine and enough, but thats a matter of taste and opinion.

Doesnt belong in this thread either. ;)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #381 on: November 30, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »
Dunno whats wrong with the original critters, they are fine and enough

- You cannot change stuff like hair
- You cannot simply add new armors that look different
- You cannot add different bodytypes

If you now come with "you can edit the 2d images!" I will laugh. Everyone should know by now that it's nothing that can be done in minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months. Plus, the more - as example - different hair types you add, the more new frames you have to edit for a new armor. If you add new armor frames, you have to add even more new hair / head types, etc. It becomes more and more work and more and even more and a little bit more work on top of it.

Charactervariation is needed in a MMO. It's a problem that everyone is looking the same right now and not a feature. The only way to change this is to go with 3d models.

Beside this, the original critters have been 3d models as well. It's "just" needed to recreate the original character animations to make the new 3d models feel like the original ones. Most likely a different rendermode as well and some other tweaks, but it's not like it is something totally different, because... the characters in the original games have been 3d models too, like I wrote a lot times already.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:55:47 pm by Lexx »

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #382 on: November 30, 2010, 07:58:56 pm »
You don't have to explain me the struggle of 2d critter editing, I know it well enough. :P

But I still don't see a problem with it. Fallout was never about the most detailed charactergraphics, stuff like new haircuts etc. It was rather solved via imagination and text descriptions. That's why I wrote my personal opinion about it.

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #383 on: November 30, 2010, 08:34:00 pm »
Are You for real?
You're saying that this:

is better then this:

?

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #384 on: November 30, 2010, 08:37:14 pm »
Besides that you won't play the game proper in this zoomed in perspective, the new "3d" stuff will clash with the rest of the still pixelated tiles, scenery objects etc. And as I already said, this thread isn't the proper place to "discuss" this. ;)

Offline Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #385 on: December 01, 2010, 01:26:22 pm »
Then all it needs is the new thread 3d scenery development ;)
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

« Reply #386 on: December 01, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »
I see absolutely no point in whining about 3d stuff. SDK is already released, so people can create something based only on ol' good Fallout graphics.
But if you want to keep big indie project like that living and evolving, you need to make steps which will guarantee that people aren't bored. I'm a total maniac of old fallouts, but I believe 2238 should be something more than old graphics, massive PvP and "not really deep" crafting. Customization and "fluff" coming with 3D changes is the great thing because most MMO players just love to personalize their toons.

Blah blah blah.

*Cheetah pawstep.*
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2010, 05:37:48 pm »
wezu, your models are great! Maybe you could also help with texturing of Gray's APA?

« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »
imagination

Come on. You honestly expect that from our general playerbase?
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:34 pm »
wezu, your models are great! Maybe you could also help with texturing of Gray's APA?
What models would that be?  ;D

Anyway, I got the impression I was helping already. If I'll get a base texture or even just a UV layout I can give it a try, I've already started making a mask from a poster:

http://www.freakygaming.com/gallery/role-playing_games/fallout_2/fallout_enclave_soldier.jpg

I can't say if I can make in better then someone else, like the combat armor - the texture I did was worst then the original one.