Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611816 times)

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2010, 09:13:40 pm »
I found it screen some weeks ago but I don't know who made it. This model APA looks great!

Yeah, almost perfect. Maybe a bit more "loose" on the knees and biceps a bit bigger, also the armor more bulky on torso and especially on the shoulders and we have perfect APA model.

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:06 pm »
It's just a theoretical raw performance. Additional effects like anisotropic filtering or shading lowers that number dramatically. Besides, some gamers don't have modern graphic cards.

Does FO use anisotropic filtering or shading?
And isn't anisotropic filtering for textures?

If you are talking about gamers that don't have a modern graphic card, then I'm one of them. My card is 6 years old it's one of the weakest of the nVidia  6 series (GF 6200) stuck in a AGP x4 slot.

Today I've made a small demo, just one mesh, 2 lights. The mesh is a subdivided teapot with ~700 000 triangles. Through the fix function pipeline (lights per vertex) I get 53 FPS, with a shader (per pixel light) 52 FPS. If you don't believe me I can provide the demo.

I don't want to undermine the project, or even criticise the models, some of them are great. They could be fantastic as a low level LOD (for max zoom-out).
I'm just saying that the polygon budget is outdated by 10 years. I know what I'm saying I'm a game dev myself, a beginner at it but I've done my math, I've done my homework I know how it works.

Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2010, 10:47:31 pm »
Today I've made a small demo, just one mesh, 2 lights. The mesh is a subdivided teapot with ~700 000 triangles. Through the fix function pipeline (lights per vertex) I get 53 FPS, with a shader (per pixel light) 52 FPS.

FOnline is a MMO, it involves more than one player featured in the game at once.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #318 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:33 am »
700k triangles- you could spam 1400 weapons if you want (500 poly).

Or maybe 175 power-armors (2k poly) and 700 weapons (500 poly).

155 players (1500 poly?), 116 power-armors (2k poly) and 466 weapons (500 poly).

ofc I'm only counting the polygons (triangles if you rather want that word).

And this is counting with "highpoly" models on his outdated card (you said it yourself :P) and I'm just saying as he does, I don't want to undermine the models (hell I made a bunch of them), just saying that you may be a bit harsh on the polycount sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:50:19 am by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2010, 10:25:45 am »
700k triangles- you could spam 1400 weapons if you want (500 poly).
Just to make it clear, you can't spam 1400 models and expect more then 5fps even on a top end PC. You can get away with it if they all share one render state (texture and ligth) then they can be sent to the gpu as one mesh.
You will bump into this kind of problem way sooner than the polygon limit.

Do some math.
How many objects you want at once?
What is the max poly count for your target hardware?
Divid it, substract 30% to be on the safe side and you got your max-poly-per-object.

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:50 am »
I know :P was just shooting out to this:

FOnline is a MMO, it involves more than one player featured in the game at once.

Iunno, maybe I just didn't understand his comment but for me it looked like we can't have higher polycounts on the models because we then ran a risk of heavy fps drops (like having 500-1000 polymodels combined with many players).

(OR SOMETHING, please correct me, I like being corrected :P how would I learn if not.)
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2010, 11:06:12 am »
The keyword is LOD, Level Of Detail.
From far away you use low poly, if a model fits a 50x10 pixel square it should not have 500 polys, thats one poly per pixel - overkill. For a very small thing you can even use a spirit. If you have 50 players on screen then they will be low poly, but you will have to zoom out just to fit them on screen, they will be small and you won't see the details even if they are hi-poly.
If you zoom in only 1-2 players will fit the screen so you don't need to draw the rest (view frustrum culling), you can now swap the low-poly models for ones with a lot more details.
If this is done seamlessly you get the imression that there is a lot more quality in the scene... You zoomed in to see the details so you think they are still there when you zoom out.

« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2010, 11:20:47 am »
It's better to make a texure from original sprite, like it's done here:

but how to make it fit i tried to but it wont look right guess i gotta mess with it more try and get back to u asap

Offline Gray

« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2010, 12:29:13 pm »
:/ the mask is ugly and suck...
Typical mistake: APA does not have the mask, it is a normal helmet. Back side is just covered by shoulders. It's ugly, because it's still completely untextured.
marcek1989's model look pretty.
It lloks pretty, but it's completely wrong (in addition to it's incompatibility), especially the helmet. My only "fail" is wrong colors, it will be fixed on a final texturing stage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
but how to make it fit i tried to but it wont look right guess i gotta mess with it more try and get back to u asap
this is a texture for that model, I hope that it would help you:

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »
Typical mistake: APA does not have the mask, it is a normal helmet. Back side is just covered by shoulders. It's ugly, because it's still completely untextured.It lloks pretty, but it's completely wrong (in addition to it's incompatibility), especially the helmet. My only "fail" is wrong colors, it will be fixed on a final texturing stage.

I prefer your model Gray (especially if you change colors) but the position of the model isn't really the same as the original one (as we can see in your iso view on the right). Is it possible to fix it?
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Offline Gray

« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:41 pm »
I prefer your model Gray (especially if you change colors) but the position of the model isn't really the same as the original one (as we can see in your iso view on the right). Is it possible to fix it?
I don't work with animation, just the model with bones, ready to animate with VB built-in animation pack. I've posed this model manually for the easy compare.

« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2010, 10:00:41 pm »

Just mind it should be no bigger than:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8755/mapm60.png
(128:128)

See the specifications (somewhere at the beggining of this thread).

I have totally no time now to deal with those models nowadays, that's why I am really pleased to see that someone continues the project  :P.

« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2010, 10:41:34 pm »

if i had the texture for the guass rifle like that it would be easy to put on do u know where i can get one all i have is a pic from wiki to go by ty

Offline Gray

« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2010, 09:06:27 am »
Speaking about textures (and colors of my APA), anybody can try to help with it's texturing. I'll accept any help (I am a bletcherous texturer).
Here it is the source texture with body parts marks. Orientation of the text shows the angle.

If anybody want to help - just post textures here or PM me.

PS helmet have no even source texture... it's absolutely free to work on.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:16:02 am by Gray »