Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611693 times)

Offline Gray

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #300 on: November 20, 2010, 04:35:34 pm »
wow, that one looks awesome,
It's high-poly, 1k triangles as minimal. Model is awesome, but not suitable for the game. Optimization needed.

« Reply #301 on: November 20, 2010, 05:10:59 pm »
I found it screen some weeks ago but I don't know who made it. This model APA looks great!

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #302 on: November 20, 2010, 08:26:58 pm »
wow, that one looks awesome, don't think I've seen it before :/
you definetely didn't seen it before ;) It was made by one guy from russian forum like 3 weeks ago.
It's high-poly, 1k triangles as minimal. Model is awesome, but not suitable for the game. Optimization needed.
it is 566 poly's

« Reply #303 on: November 20, 2010, 08:39:10 pm »
I found it screen some weeks ago but I don't know who made it. This model APA looks great!

Nice model I want it in my FOnline server and 2238  :)

Offline Gray

« Reply #304 on: November 20, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
Nice model I want it in my FOnline server and 2238  :)
It's just 3D-art made by one fan, it is not compatible with game engine.

P.S. is my model worse?

it is 566 poly's
It's too much anyway. Whole man in armor is not more then 2k polys. Additionally, weapons may lay on the ground in a big amount, slowing the performance.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:43:52 pm by Gray »

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #305 on: November 20, 2010, 09:55:16 pm »
It's too much anyway. Whole man in armor is not more then 2k polys. Additionally, weapons may lay on the ground in a big amount, slowing the performance.
A lowpoly gun in FOnline standards are like 100-150 polys, a high poly would be around 300 polys (and would have to be optimized i think).
Same applies for rifles but the high polycount is increased to around 500-600 (and its polycount would probably have to be lowered).

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2010, 10:38:37 pm »
I think your model is much better anyway, Gray :)
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #307 on: November 21, 2010, 02:00:13 am »
I think it would be okay for some guns to have a high-polycount.

I don't know how it is now but when I played I don't think I ever saw anyone with a m60...

So, my guess is that the models that is used most are the ones that need to have a low polycount, still should try and keep the models optimized even if they are rare i guess >_< (just more important with the more used objects in my opinion).
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Offline wezu

• Flamin' Troll
« Reply #308 on: November 21, 2010, 11:43:59 am »
300 polys for a object? Are we suddenly back at the mid '90?

A modern graphic card can render 5-20 millions polygons without braking a sweat. A bit more if they are organized into tri-strips and fans, a bit less with quads and higher order polygons. And it's been this way for years. The limit is the number of draw calls (batches), you can have one mesh with 100 000 polygons but you can't have 1 000 meshes with 100 polygons (unless you merge them on the cpu before sending them to the gpu or use some trick like hardware instancing). Even if a model has 10 000 triangles the graphic card will only render 5-8k due to backface culling.

In the worst case scenario you will have 200-300 independent meshes (and that's waaaaay to many anyway), having them at 300 polygons each you get a grand total of  60-90k but only 40-60k (or less) will get send to the gpu thanks to backface culling. Even an Intel GMA can render 100k polygons at 60fps.

There are only two cases where polygon count matters - intensive animations or a complex vertex shader. I think FO uses the fix function pipeline anyway so the vertex shader is out, weapons are rigid by nature so there's no per vertex animations there, only characters are left so unless you put +100 bones in them your safe. 

I can't help myself asking what is the target hardware for models with 100-300 polys?

And I can't help myself even more asking why not use a simple LOD mechanism?  There'd be decent 5k models for close-ups and cheap 100-200 polys from far away.
Give an idiot a carrot and he'll cut himself.

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #309 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:42 am »
Yup, I've been wondering the same thing, but I got no answer so I just followed their orders :P Also I don't think we are using bumpmaping so that also ease down the stress for the computer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:54:33 am by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

« Reply #310 on: November 21, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
Graf, M60 model much more fit for Third-person shooter, and a 3D model is a bit wrong, but nice work.

P.S. is my model worse?
nope, but why are dark green, or it is false to my eye  ::)

300 polys for a object? Are we suddenly back at the mid '90?
On which of the "Polygon" is being said, with the 3 edges? If the 3 edges, then it is normal for this today.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:35:14 pm by Mr_Gazo »
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html

Offline Gray

« Reply #311 on: November 21, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »
I think it would be okay for some guns to have a high-polycount.

I don't know how it is now but when I played I don't think I ever saw anyone with a m60...

So, my guess is that the models that is used most are the ones that need to have a low polycount, still should try and keep the models optimized even if they are rare i guess >_< (just more important with the more used objects in my opinion).
Fully agree. Items like spear or 10mm pistol should have not more then 20 polys, but gauss rifle may have about 1k.
A modern graphic card can render 5-20 millions polygons without braking a sweat.
It's just a theoretical raw performance. Additional effects like anisotropic filtering or shading lowers that number dramatically. Besides, some gamers don't have modern graphic cards.
why are dark green, or it is false to my eye  ::)
It's a draft texture, I haven't better one. If somebody wants to help - just make a texture for APA. UVW map fits VB power armor.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:49:59 pm by Gray »

« Reply #312 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:17 pm »
Made by Gray
But it isn't completed yet.

:/ the mask is ugly and suck... sorry but you must make it better. I know that is for game you make it in free time but you must make the model better. marcek1989's model look pretty.

Offline Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #313 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:22 pm »
:/ the mask is ugly and suck...

I absolutely disagree. This model is awesome and very good-looking. Plus, if you don't like the mask, keep in mind it would still be in FOnline, so model would be a lot smaller. I like this model really much ;)
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer

« Reply #314 on: November 21, 2010, 09:03:27 pm »
This model need more dark and black colors. marcek1989 model looks nice because it's black and have good mask. Why it model doesn't good for engine?