Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611857 times)

Offline barter1113

• New Vegas fanatic =)
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #2295 on: April 21, 2012, 10:49:33 pm »
Hey I saw first mutant here! Nice...

« Reply #2296 on: April 25, 2012, 01:44:07 am »
Allright I get it. Perspective and shading is irreversible so one can't perfectly reverse-engineer fallout sprites (or at least not without overkill approach).

If I understood correctly the exact settings for getting the right perspective projection are yet unknown??

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #2297 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:02 pm »
Hey Luther, that skin is great. I've never seen the model look so good before.

I tried to make some generic from it. True Fallout style, I like it.

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #2298 on: April 26, 2012, 06:41:58 pm »
It looks awesome

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2299 on: April 27, 2012, 02:50:56 am »
I like the look of this. Looks very accurate - is that a careful repaint / recolour of the "messy" projection skin, or a combination one?

I'm finding it difficult to do a "combination repaint" myself - it's possible, it just takes time - trying to interpret the data of a strange 4 sided "pixel" into something that's understandable as an image. Each time I tweak it slightly, I find it's too far when I look at it in game. Might have a go at it over this weekend and see what I can get working.

If you've got any thoughts on how to do this, I'd love to hear them. If we can get it to look this close (or closer), whilst also maintaining the easy flexibility of the existing system, I'd be a happy man. Of course, then we have to apply a similar look to the armours, weapons and other clothing :)

Offline Karpov

• Come Together
« Reply #2300 on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
It was made from the one you uploaded. The small one.
I never seen this technique before. It's very clever, and it seems to work nice. I would love to use it for the armors too. Specially the Combat Armor.

You could use mipmaps. Using this skin as it is, and then using a bigger and more detailed for zoom. But I don't think it's worth it anyway.
 I think we could create a high definition texture from it if needed at some point.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2301 on: April 28, 2012, 03:32:41 am »
If the model shape matches the sprite pretty closely, it should work for anything we've got - though there's certainly some problems with using them as is :
1) The lighting is a composite of the sprite data, and uses a lot of painted on shadow. Therefore it won't respond correctly to the environment, or with real shadows, unless it's compensated for - effectively analysing the engine shadows and "unshadowing" the appropriate parts of the texture by an appropriate degree.
2) The pixellated textures are such a mess that doing simple alterations to the clothing (except colour change you showed) will be very difficult.
3) There is no way to generate an equivalent for any new object added to the game - that's all new armours and all the weapons.
4) They're pretty unusable as textures in any angle other than the 6 sprite angles (even falling over may look a bit odd).
5) Insides and undersides of things are going to be a problem

Anyway, if it's useful to you I can try and explain the process roughly. It was mostly a case of :
- Extracting 6 directions of relevant frames and resizing them to 400% (this saved some resizing time in the 3D program)
- Using Fragmotion to load the idle anim into the base human, then export his pose as an "arms down" model
- Using Crackart's texture painting mode to "chuck the sprite onto this model" from the correct angle and saving the resulting texture.
- Do this from all six angles for several sprites
- Put the layers into Photoshop to combine the six views (i.e. NE and NW have a good view of the back, SW and SE have a good view of the front etc).

The combining could have been done a lot better - I just did it quickly to see how it worked. Also note that Crackart crashes regularly, so if you've got an alternative projection painting software, I'd use that instead.

If you'll find it useful to look at, I could give a slightly better explanation with a few pictures to help, and give you some of the source files I was working with.

My "holy grail" is getting something which looks pretty much like these did, but is very easy to mod and overcomes the problems mentioned above. Previous bits mentioned about normal maps and filters might be the way to do this, but it's not an area I know a lot about.

« Reply #2302 on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:05 pm »
Sad that those softwares are windows only. Cause they are quite good especially Crackart looks like a tool I would find handy.
Personally I wonder which side the textures will go in the end.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2303 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »
I'm pretty sure Blender (which is completely cross-platform) has a texture paint option, or has done at some point anyway. I've not tried it myself, as I found it quicker to learn 20 different programs than to try and learn anything beyond "making a box" in Blender :P

I should have another go at it really. I have a feeling I'd be able to run the whole process within one or two softwares this way, but its learning curve is steep (learning 20 programs was only a slight exaggeration).

« Reply #2304 on: April 28, 2012, 06:45:57 pm »
It has and a quite good one but that program looked quite impressive. And although blender has a nice sculpting tool I find Sculptriss better its another sad thing that wine can't emulate it perfectly. Anyway I'm looking forward how the textures will go.

« Reply #2305 on: April 29, 2012, 05:38:17 am »

I just got back and saw this.

Awwwww yeah!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:34:52 am by Graf »

in Requiem, there is enclave, player driven faction. They have to gather, craft.. like everybody else, but they have special base and rank before their names. Their roleplay is based on kill everyone.

« Reply #2306 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #2307 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »
Hi guys,
I'm pretty new here, but seeing that you're always looking for more people to contribute, I'd like to throw in my two cents... :p
Going through the 3d developement trackers, i thought that the CAWS could use some polishing so I made a new texture for the model

I'm not sure if this isn't redundant work as the guns were declared "finished", but I wanted to start with something small so there :)

model[old] with new uvw's: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14951543/fonline/WP_Shotgun_CAWS_holzman.3DS

texture file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14951543/fonline/WP_Shotgun_CAWS_holzman.png

Offline Mike Crosser

• Gambling: 60%
« Reply #2308 on: May 04, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »
Looks better than the old one

« Reply #2309 on: May 04, 2012, 01:18:11 pm »
My shot at the Shinese.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wv14vg

Looks good, care for moar? Needs some chinese peasants.