Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611725 times)

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #2205 on: February 11, 2012, 01:32:30 pm »
I thought doing this was the plan from the very beginning. :p

« Reply #2206 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:00 am »
Hey, I read through the last 148 pages and like where things are at. Is there a progress chart that includes everything that needs to get done? I would love to help out but it seems that people keep doubling up on the same item, gun, or armor. Once I can see what is still unfinished I can start. Also, is there a timeline for switching over to the 3d from the current sprites?
'Tis better to live as a radiated man than not live at all

« Reply #2207 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:43 am »
Hey, I read through the last 148 pages and like where things are at. Is there a progress chart that includes everything that needs to get done? I would love to help out but it seems that people keep doubling up on the same item, gun, or armor. Once I can see what is still unfinished I can start. Also, is there a timeline for switching over to the 3d from the current sprites?

No one can told you that, cause 3d development process is fully provided by the community... so "It's done when it's done.":)
Opex, the one and the only!

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #2208 on: February 17, 2012, 11:10:36 am »
Is there a progress chart that includes everything that needs to get done?
Sadly - no. We have something similar like the armor/item/weapon tracker found in the wiki (and in Graf's signature) but if I recall correctly it wasn't updated for a time (not entirely sure about this). You might want to contact someone like Graf.
I would love to help out but it seems that people keep doubling up on the same item, gun, or armor. Once I can see what is still unfinished I can start.
Mostly we need animations and armors at the moment. Weapons are 99% done, items are not as high priority.
Also, is there a timeline for switching over to the 3d from the current sprites?
No, as Jlekc stated, it's done when it's done. We have a pretty free-form way of work - we tell people what we work on, work on it, show it to the public if it is good, scrap it if isn't. None of us are "hired" or something so that means anyone of us can magically disapear any moment (sadly) and the progress would be even slower.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #2209 on: February 17, 2012, 11:14:12 am »

No timeline, it's done when it's done.
If you want to animate, (player animations seem almost(?) done(?) by Karpov)you can start to learn to rig, animate and convert to .x format, since noone knows what Karpov is doing atm. Make some new animations for brahmins, dogs, NPC people or:
If you want to model, make some Fallout critters, like centaurs(variations of them?), floaters, rats (yes, there are rats from Van Buren and THEY SUCK).
If you want to texture, the NPCs like slaves, peasants, farmers, hookers etc. need texturing.
LutherBlissett needs help with testing out his FragMotion tutorial, you can install it, follow the tutorial and post your feedback.

As long as it's not a mere talk, every help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:16:15 am by Lizard »
Wasteland is a tricky business.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #2210 on: February 17, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
Actually, the weapons and misc. items are up-to-date now. I've uploaded and updated stuff in there a couple of weeks ago. Back then I have had some spare time and made a few misc. items, which wasn't announced here, since there's nothing special to show. On the other hand, the armors tracker wasn't updated for a long time already, but it's nearly impossible to update it at the moment. The problem is, that most of the contributed armors are not rigged, and thus not available to use in the game yet. But most of those, which are available in the current repository could be seen on the armors tracker. Other than that, I'm fully agree with post above.

The real problem, that I see now, is that someone have to actually reorganize the work-flow, like I did before. Currently I'm a little busy with the real-life stuff, so if anyone wish to do it instead of me - it would be appreciated. Hopefully soon I will be able to dedicate some time during the work. It's just a matter of a few weeks to buy a laptop, so I could be making models in stuff much more often.

One thing, I'm going to do right away, is to contribute a few more misc. models, which I hope would make other people get back to the development too.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #2211 on: February 17, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »
Since I quit 3D modeling for FOnline for a time now (not forever, I will come back some day), and I do believe I won't be able to finish what I started for a long time, I'm just gonna post this all male model robe re-scaling etc. You can get it, altough not completed, here.
I had made a fat man version, but I did the scaling a bit wrong so the texture got distorted, so I removed it completely. The NM_NICE model still needs adjustments for arms and a bit for the chest. Dunno if Super-mutant was needed, so removed the SM model itself from there.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:02:57 pm by Haraldx »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2212 on: February 17, 2012, 06:05:46 pm »
Hi guys - just letting you know I'm in a bit of a busy work period at the moment - I've not disappeared :)
As Lizard said above, if anyone's able to check that basic rigging tutorial and let me know of any problems or bits which aren't clear, I can start on the more advanced ones. If they're understandable, then anyone should be able to get on board with rigging some of the armours and things. As it allows you to reimport and re-edit the .x files, then even if some "first time efforts" aren't perfect, they could be easily adjusted at a later date. Obviously if the existing tutorial stuff I'd written doesn't make any sense, then I need to know before I start putting the more advanced one together.

Other than that, I've been tinkering with a few models and bits for testing stuff, but nothing "new and finished" as such. Should be "back on it" in a few weeks I think.

« Reply #2213 on: February 17, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »
Still alive too. Though I haven't done much things nowadays. For now I'm trying to move the Supermutant so far with small or zero succes by that I mean it doesn't match the original so I'm always scratching it and moving again. I left some models unfinished like the tire armor I though I concentrate on stuffs that are a bit more vital at least I feel that the animating should have a higher priority over the modelling still when I get to the end with the animations I wish to finish that armor.
Some 2d editing hinders my speed too but it helps me relax a bit although it certainly shows me why 3d is a wise choice. Copy paste frm making is slow even simple recoloring. Gone a bit of topic.
What I got together so far is quite a few thing AA, AL, AK, AN, AQ, AP and a few failed AB animations. For those who don't know the namings iddle, use, picking up, evede, hit from front, hit from back and the last walking.

« Reply #2214 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:20 pm »
It's good to know you're doing well, guys.

You know, as Andr3aZ somewhere noted, i often have strange ideas coming to my head and i just had a beer.
One was to take a role as investor and pay a 3d designer/animator from outside to make some stuff and see 3d finally coming faster, but then decided against it, because:

1. It could turn out really expensive for a such comparable small task.
2. Since someone earned money on a non-profit project, it could wake Bethounds. Unless it was a donation.
3. The devs could just swat it away, or think, i would expect something in return - gentle decline.
4. The progress status is vague - but why should a artist make something what's been done?
5. This wouldn't count as a community project anymore.
6. And who would own all the stuff?

So... Well, i desire to contribute, but i'm really not sure if this were a right way to do it. I have right now not very much time and have other project running. Thoughts?
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #2215 on: February 18, 2012, 09:23:30 am »
Hey thanks, yeah I skimmed through the tutorial as I want to work through it if I read it. Also, I wouldn't mind getting used to rigging or texturing if I knew where models and textures of the completed 3d ones are available.
'Tis better to live as a radiated man than not live at all

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #2216 on: February 18, 2012, 12:25:58 pm »
The first tutorial about setting up a 3D compatible SDK should include most of the finished files and textures and stuff, and hopefully give you a rough idea on how to set up and test things.

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2217 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:16 pm »
3. The devs could just swat it away, or think, i would expect something in return - gentle decline.

Yes.

Shit get's real when real money comes into play.

Offline Haraldx

« Reply #2218 on: February 18, 2012, 01:08:29 pm »
It's good to know you're doing well, guys.

You know, as Andr3aZ somewhere noted, i often have strange ideas coming to my head and i just had a beer.
One was to take a role as investor and pay a 3d designer/animator from outside to make some stuff and see 3d finally coming faster, but then decided against it, because:

1. It could turn out really expensive for a such comparable small task.
2. Since someone earned money on a non-profit project, it could wake Bethounds. Unless it was a donation.
4. The progress status is vague - but why should a artist make something what's been done?
5. This wouldn't count as a community project anymore.
6. And who would own all the stuff?

So... Well, i desire to contribute, but i'm really not sure if this were a right way to do it. I have right now not very much time and have other project running. Thoughts?

I hardly doubt you will find anyone modeling such low-poly models anymore. If it's an artist, he's going for the looks and most likely would end up in some high-poly stuff (which isn't actually that bad, but not in our case).

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #2219 on: February 18, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »
In fact, I am pretty sure you will find more people willing to do low-poly stuff when getting paid for it than if you request high-poly models. Low-poly is easier / less time consuming, after all.