Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611816 times)

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1890 on: July 10, 2011, 07:11:30 pm »
Metal Tube . Tris: 28, Tex: 64px. :D

3dsmax9, 3ds: http://hotfile.com/dl/123674129/99cc218/fonline-MetalTube3D.rar.html
/* +++ */
Painting of the King. Tris: 28, Tex: 128px.

3dsmax9, 3ds: http://www.mediafire.com/?53qhphf5y2va51u
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:16:25 am by Mr_Gazo »
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html

Offline Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #1891 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:10 am »
  all the necessary details there, but unfortunately I do not know how to do animation and skeleton.

Scenery are 2d models. There is no need to animate anything. It's not even needed to add details and textures to a model, because you paint this over to achieve original Fallout scenery style. Fallout scenery is not simply rendered 3d models- they all have a paint-over style. Defined shadows, light contrast, etc.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1892 on: July 11, 2011, 07:24:54 am »
I have the models off Jotisz, which I'll remap over the next couple of weeks.

I found I could group them together, and move the vertices in groups, effectively realigning several models at once, therefore it's pretty much all done already :)

(Left-Right) NACHLD, NMBRLP, NMMEXI, NMNICE, NMOLDD

NM NICE equals to the following bodies NM LABB, NM COPP
NM BRLP equals to the following bodies NM DOCC, NM BPEA
NM OLDD and NM MEXI is like NM FATT and NM MYRN they used only for one type of critter.
NA CHLD can be used for both gender of kids

Still a bit of fine tuning on all of them, but I should be able to finish them later today when I finish work.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #1893 on: July 11, 2011, 08:47:42 am »
I wonder if it reacts to the material settings from the models, or could be made to react to a specular map? We don't want cloth to shine like metal. Maybe someone wants to do some experiments with these, and see if they can get something that works well. Once we get the lighting right, we'll probably need to adjust all the textures (and possibly materials in the models) to match, so maybe someone wants to volunteer to try and work on this quite soon, while there are still a comparatively small number of textures / materials that would need changing.
Bloom effect is dumb, forget it being ever interacting with anything. It's just sort of blur.

Problem with specular lighting is that you'll have to pass it to PS, if you want to use specular maps, otherwise you'd be unable to use them without calculating light in PS.
This is however quite questionable, because calculating light in PS is much more precise (and has to be done in case of using normal maps, which may be an option, and there's no need to dismiss it, and to be honest specular without normal mapping tends to make models appear flat).

You probably can't just edit those shaders (it's no rocket science though), because you'd need engine to add some more details to your hw (eg. you need texture source that you can read at least :d)
It's not big deal, but I'm quite surprised there is shader for both normal mapped and vertex shaded models and none of them calculates specular reflection.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline pistacja

• Ninja-Nurse
    • pistacja69.deviantart.com
« Reply #1894 on: July 11, 2011, 12:17:15 pm »
We could get a nice shine effect with simple sphere mapping... check google or wikipedia on this.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #1895 on: July 11, 2011, 02:04:42 pm »
We could get a nice shine effect with simple sphere mapping... check google or wikipedia on this.
That'd be using same amount of resources on inferior result. It'd look good on glass surfaces, but there are not much of those in Fallout to begin with.
For artists it does not matter much, because they'd have to mask the effct with some map (might be alpha, or whatever, but you can mask white specular reflection with it as well)

EDIT:
I've modified shader a little (don't yet tried new IOstructures instead just sent specular as alpha of diffuse lighting) to see how'd stuff look like per-vertex shading with specular
Note that this stuff is not masked, and I've pulled quite arbitary viewpos (this should be calculated in VS correctly, to have better result)

In my estimation, it won't really be faithful to sprites without normal map as well, so that you can paint over precious details without loosing flattening them out.

Anyway you can have a look (keep in mind he's bald and black, and this is some completly random value), http://imageshack.us/g/51/specular1.jpg/
EDIT2: modified it even more just to interpolate normals and do stuff per pixel, not that the specular is that great, but shading itselfs looks much closer to sprites, question is how much horsepower it will take, but I'm quite happy with the result even though it misses a lot of polish (also tuned down ambient a little, but that was already done in first showcase)
http://imageshack.us/g/402/specular3.jpg/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:13:49 pm by Johnnybravo »
"This is your forum."

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #1896 on: July 11, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »
Quote from: Johnnybravo
The normal zoomed out picture looks really good (obviously the ones you zoomed in on looks weird due to resolution etc)

Could you show one with vault suit? Easier to do a comparison, or place a guy with power armor next to you  (a sprite)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:00:41 pm by bikkebakke »
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1897 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:11 pm »
I've modified shader a little [...]

I'm very much liking the potential of this, it looks very promising. Good work. Is there anything in place that would make the metal shiny, without doing the same to other materials / people's skin etc?

On a completely unrelated note, I didn't realise previously, but transparency in textures seems to work. I tried it with png, tga and dds files. Can't immediately think of a use for it, but maybe a way to do "rough, damaged" versions of armour (like for ghouls)? Maybe something for some death animations? I don't know. Even if it's not useful, at least we know we can, if we wanted to.

Clockwise from top left :
1) 50% opacity works (can't think how it'd be useful though)
2) Cropping parts of model seems to work
3) For example, one armed versions of things, which are all the fashion
4) Or cutting a big hole in Fake 3D Martin Frobisher

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #1898 on: July 11, 2011, 09:44:23 pm »
I guess it's just possible to get a sampler using texture1 from fo3d, but I have yet no idea how'd it know there is no file available.

It's no problem to skip stuff in HLSL like in C++, but finding out there is not anything might be a problem.
I guess it'll still need some engine mods, because you'd really want to modify power value per material or in fo3d file or whatever.
Alternatively you could just mask everything out (to be honest even stuff like leather and skin should have subtle reflection), but that's not nice solution memory wise.

As for normal maps, I have completly no idea, because one have to switch whole effect in script and that supplies (or at least should supply, not sure if this is working, as I have no textures available for it, and it looks kinda weird without anything) us with tangents and binormals we don't really need for anything else.

However the fact you can switch shaders used for effects is excuse good enough to implement all 3 shading methods, vertex-lighting for loosers, per-pixel-lighting as default, and if possible people with normal mapping for the best results (this would be quite always near 90% close the original, minding of course artist errors)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:50:43 pm by Johnnybravo »
"This is your forum."

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1899 on: July 11, 2011, 09:58:28 pm »
1) 50% opacity works (can't think how it'd be useful though)
Glass, hair (separate parts of hair), somekind of plastic etc.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #1900 on: July 12, 2011, 09:09:30 am »
It's no problem to skip stuff in HLSL like in C++, but finding out there is not anything might be a problem.
I guess it'll still need some engine mods, because you'd really want to modify power value per material or in fo3d file or whatever.
Alternatively you could just mask everything out (to be honest even stuff like leather and skin should have subtle reflection), but that's not nice solution memory wise.

Aye, but sometimes it's better to waste memory, than to add some conditional logic (if I understood you correctly). Anyway, are you experimenting a bit with shaders here?

« Reply #1901 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31:56 am »

models and I'll try and do this.
IMO, this looks horrible. It's better to see 3D model nice detailed than this sprite:( It's not orginal sprite and it's not good.

Offline Bartosz

• Rotator
  • There'd better be a killer reason...
« Reply #1902 on: July 12, 2011, 11:44:46 am »
IMO, this looks horrible. It's better to see 3D model nice detailed than this sprite:( It's not orginal sprite and it's not good.

Wasn't it zoomed after screenshot was taken, and not ingame (which would result in pixelated backgroun, and higher-res model?

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1903 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39:54 pm »

See below.

Wasn't it zoomed after screenshot was taken, and not ingame

Yes, exactly.

This is "100% zoom", zoomed in with photoshop - so this is what they look like on a pixel-by-pixel level.

It's a screenshot at normal zoom, which I have zoomed in using photoshop, to make the pixels about 400% bigger, so I could look closely at where the highlights and shadows were - to compare for instance, that it should be making very dark edges under biceps and round edges of legs etc - this is NOT what it looks like in game (unless your display resolution was like... 320x240 or something).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:32:12 pm by Luther Blissett »

« Reply #1904 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:30 pm »
Nice thing with transparency. I believe we could use it with death animations. And to make stockings!  ;D

Anyway - If you guys want me to work on female skin(face lifting, skintones plus tattoos) I would need two things.

UVmapped .x format actual female model(So I can check what I broke with DXviewer) with base female texture(This "complete" one). Karpov sent me male skin with .x model, and it was damn easy to work for me. I'm totally lazy so would be lovely if someone can make this package and send it to me via PM.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:31:57 pm by SmartCheetah »
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!