Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611768 times)

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1875 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:59 pm »
Sunglasses, Spectacles. Tris: 166, Tex: 32px.

Tomorrow will upload a files.
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #1876 on: July 08, 2011, 10:28:57 pm »

From what it looks like, it seems lighting parameters are somewhat wrong, and it might be necessary to add not only specular maps, but also normal maps to characters to achieve same look. It is definetly obvious that simple shading won't do the job even if you try to pixelizate or sharpen it.

Luckily bloom and any other fancy techniques were not used when Fallout was created, so it's just some more tricks needed to achieve phong lighting used at the time.
I really hope engine developers will allow few more additions, because there's no way it'd look bright, blurry and  wrong without making those adjustements.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

« Reply #1877 on: July 09, 2011, 11:02:45 am »
Here is some update for body types will need to make a list to tell what critters can be made from them.

Btw Fake Martin is cool wish I could in his shoes when he asked the girls :) (though only if they went with him if he was dumped then not)

About normal maps if the engine supports it then we can give a lot more detail to all.
About making sprite like effect the best way would be to have the textures way smaller instead of 250 it could be 50-100 and before resize a noise filter would do the trick I think still I think 250 should be the texture size since we have zoom in the engine.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1878 on: July 09, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »
If I remember correctly, quite long time ago Gray had the same problem with the prisoner suit and it was successfully solved. We have to ask him how he did it, since I can't find that post atm.

I'd be very interested to know about this, as it's probably something we'll need to apply to quite a lot of textures.

From what it looks like, it seems lighting parameters are somewhat wrong[...]

This is "100% zoom", zoomed in with photoshop - so this is what they look like on a pixel-by-pixel level. The shade of blue / yellow and skin tone can be tweaked by altering the texture, and we can achieve SOME highlighting by "painting it on" in places. However, the main point is simply that the shadows aren't dark enough, and the "very highlight" highlights aren't light enough.

If it was in a 3D program, I would probably decrease the "ambient light" and increase the directional light to try and do this. I have no idea how that works in a programmed game engine though - or if it's something we can actually alter in the SDK, by editing some parameters in a file somewhere. I'm under the impression it's not easy.

Normal maps are probably not necessary, as we're unlikely to really need the extra detail - though the specular (shiny) map is probably quite important. We need highlights on metal to work correctly (watch the way the light moves across the back of the APA sprite whilst walking), but obviously, we don't want anything else shining in the same way.

Models look brilliant again, Jotisz. If you want me to try and unwrap the UV to match the other people, send me the models and I'll try and do this.

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #1879 on: July 09, 2011, 04:43:28 pm »
Well, I'm  not familiar with D3D shaders (or whatever that stuff FOnline uses), but apparently there's already support for normal-mapped models, however nothing for specular yet.

You can play around with lighting by editing shaders directly - structs are declared in them with following parameters
float3 LightDir                          = {0.0f, 0.0f,-1.0f};       // Light direction
float4 LightDiffuse                      = {0.6f, 0.6f, 0.6f, 1.0f}; // Light diffuse color
float4 MaterialAmbient : MATERIALAMBIENT = {0.3f, 0.3f, 0.3f, 1.0f}; // Ambient color
float4 MaterialDiffuse : MATERIALDIFFUSE = {0.8f, 0.8f, 0.8f, 1.0f}; // Diffuse color

Though generaly it'd be nicer if game could set lighting for stuff and pass it in shaders, so that one could do some effects based on daytime perhaps.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1880 on: July 09, 2011, 05:23:26 pm »
Here is some update for body types

I can see there's a normal and weak male body type and the kid. Am I right? Looks great anyway.
Also, Jotisz, we would probably need a normal, fat and weak female body types as well. Can you try to make it? Here's the reference for normal and weak, but I'm afraid there wasn't a fat female model in both F1 or F2.

we can achieve SOME highlighting by "painting it on" in places.

Or we can try to use SDK built-in shaders. Here's how it works:

Before:
After:

These effects can be found in Client\data\effects folder of SDK

« Reply #1881 on: July 09, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »
  I really wanted to paint a motorcycle, and he is almost ready.
There 2 types of motorcycles.
   It would be great to cut heath, not only on its two legs, but also on two wheels monster of a bygone era.
  all the necessary details there, but unfortunately I do not know how to do animation and skeleton.

3ds + texture

http://www.mediafire.com/?8ye3mb3q30by65v   

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1882 on: July 09, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »
we would probably need a normal, fat and weak female body types as well

Are the "weak female" sprites the same model as the "hero female" sprites - i.e. it's the same model, but with a different standing pose? The arm is in a different position, but the rest looks the same to me. Difficult to tell, though. If it is different, it's probably only a tiny modification of the current female 3D model.

we can try to use SDK built-in shaders[...]These effects can be found in Client\data\effects folder of SDK

I've got those files in a seperate SDK.

I have one "stable" SDK folder, which works with our 3D repository, with animations etc, but doesn't contain the "effects" folder, and separately I have an "up to date" SDK folder, which contains those effects files, but doesn't seem to work with our 3D repository (the animations don't seem to work).

Can I just copy the effects folder over, and it will magically work, or should there be other config files somewhere to refer to them? Alternately, is there a way of making the newer SDK compatible with the repository?

« Reply #1883 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:55 pm »
Is that a train style drive on the bike? if so that is pretty damn cool.
The only exploit involved abusing your intelligence  ;D

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1884 on: July 09, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »
Are the "weak female" sprites the same model as the "hero female" sprites - i.e. it's the same model, but with a different standing pose? The arm is in a different position, but the rest looks the same to me.

You're right, I didn't mentioned that before. Probably even all of them using the same (hero) model and have a different animations set (though hero and "weak" have the same idle position - should I merge these two types maybe?). Don't know if we should follow these sprites this time. It would be good to have a slight difference between them for the sake of gameplay improvement. Take a look at the VB models:

In my opinion, their body types is too much exaggerated (weak is too weak etc.), but I've shown this to illustrate my idea only.

Can I just copy the effects folder over, and it will magically work, or should there be other config files somewhere to refer to them? Alternately, is there a way of making the newer SDK compatible with the repository?

Yes and yes. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work that way. Of course you should apply these shaders in some .ini file (can't say which one as I didn't tried to do it by myself).

Also, afaik every version of SDK after ~120 is compatible with the 3D repo. Though if you would use the revision after ~170 you should enable 3D models in the .ini files. Nevertheless, I've personally prefer to use a version before this one, as it's less problematic to me. 

« Reply #1885 on: July 10, 2011, 01:57:37 am »
I little bit fix lines and make two versions. Tris:166, Tris:94.

3dsmax9, 3ds: http://hotfile.com/dl/123616717/4313e8d/fonline-glasses3d.rar.html
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #1886 on: July 10, 2011, 02:23:51 am »

Or we can try to use SDK built-in shaders. Here's how it works:

Before:
After:

These effects can be found in Client\data\effects folder of SDK

Yep, it's a step in the right direction, but the one you posted looks almost like some "new gen" game with way too much bloom, it's overdone. It can be worked upon it, though. Anyone wanting to contribute such a shader may have to ask Atom about it - he's done some of experimental/test shaders before and'll work/or atleast help to build the pixelisation filter in the future as far as I can tell. Though, it's doubtful that it is any high on his priority list, so don't blame me for him not answering to you. ;)

« Reply #1887 on: July 10, 2011, 08:10:13 am »
About the lighting shader personally I find the shader too strong and it makes the models look as Surf said like a new gen game models.

White Tiger that bike looks cool I always felt that there was something missing from the vehicles now I think the list is full especially if that bike makes it into.
Mr_Gazo nice move on the glasses though I'm unsure how it will look in normal view (gonna check it) but since we have zoom it will be great.

About female bodies well I could work on them after all its not that hard and unlike with the males the females wouldn't need so many changes so yeah why not.

Since the bodies I made needs some uv mapping I pmed them toward Luther
Also since I saw some information about how the bodies got connected with the existing 2 critters I wrote a little of which is which
The new ones has naming like the frm version for old ones I used the obj name

NM NICE equals to the following bodies NM LABB, NM COPP
NM BRLP equals to the following bodies NM DOCC, NM BPEA
NM OLDD and NM MEXI is like NM FATT and NM MYRN they used only for one type of critter.
NA CHLD can be used for both gender of kids

NM ASIA looks similar to the NM NICE body I still need to check it though to be sure.

About previous models
Dwarf is NM GRCH
Fatman is NM FATT
Strongman is NM BOXX
Jukie NM LOSR

The other bodies are quite easy to mix
Mutie is for MA MTNT and MA MTN2 (also for Lou from Fallout 1)
ghoul is for NA GHUL NA GLOW and NA VGUL

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #1888 on: July 10, 2011, 04:52:00 pm »
I have the models off Jotisz, which I'll remap over the next couple of weeks. I'm quite busy at work this week, and maybe next too, so it'll probably be a few little chunks of activity, with gaps in between. If I seem to disappear for a week, it's not a permanent disappearance - I will reappear with things done.

For female bodies, the "normal" body is the Fallout 2 type one (San Francisco woman, and woman in black dress), which is quite different, so probably wants matching closely. For fat / weak, yes - I think we can make a little change from sprites - but like Graf says, the VB ones were a bit TOO severe with changes. The weak one should probably be only slightly thinner, though perhaps the fat one should be "Vic sized"? Would people find this model useful in game? i.e. "Big fat mom" working in the diner etc

For the shader thing, opening the .fx files in wordpad, they're "human readable" - well annotated and editable as text files. The bloom is, as noticed, far too much, but proof that it can work, so a subtle version of the same could be very good. Perhaps adjusting some numbers in the .fx file will do this.

I wonder if it reacts to the material settings from the models, or could be made to react to a specular map? We don't want cloth to shine like metal. Maybe someone wants to do some experiments with these, and see if they can get something that works well. Once we get the lighting right, we'll probably need to adjust all the textures (and possibly materials in the models) to match, so maybe someone wants to volunteer to try and work on this quite soon, while there are still a comparatively small number of textures / materials that would need changing.

Glasses and bike look really nice. Probably worth adding black sunglasses too.

Offline Cryptopsy

• Smoke Break Until Wipe
« Reply #1889 on: July 10, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »

In my opinion, a dirt-bike style would be more appropriate for Fonline.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:38:41 pm by Graf »