Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611756 times)

Offline zamp

• Huff 'n puff all you want I ain't falling.
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1785 on: June 10, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »
although i am not entirely sure if this will be the final one, since the seams are quite noticeable in some areas, maybe I will lay down the UV's in a different way

I recommend you try to minimize stretching. Look at the arm, the UV below the arm is way stretched out.
If you're using blender you can just select some vertices in the UV editor and then hit W (iirc) and select minimize stretch. This will make all of the UVs match 3d area so you'll end up with perfect UV sizes. The only problem with this is that it pretty much fucks up the UV sizes (stuff gets overlapped) and you're going to need to do quite a bit of fixing to mend that. :)

I'll show you how I UV mapped my gecko on monday. I'm currently in the middle of nowhere and the gecko model is back home :)

« Reply #1786 on: June 11, 2011, 02:14:02 am »
actually I stretched some areas on purpose to maximize the possible area of the texture (and take space of the areas that are not seen despite their actual polygonal size), but I didn't controlled all the seams, and now that I see it, I will reduce the size of the 'hand' area in the arm UV, to make more room to the rest of the arm and hopefully it will be get better.

I mean, you are right, it theory it shouldn't be stretched to maintain a more homogeneus texture, but I think that the stretching can be manually controlled to give 'more pixels of texture' to the areas that are most seen. Although this model doesn't actually help to my argument  :P

regards

Offline zamp

« Reply #1787 on: June 11, 2011, 11:40:16 am »
There is always an exception to any rule :)
I'd just minimize stretching (to a certain degree) since it'll make texturing easier.
I usually do the UV mapping by hand; I just split the model into segments and then do the default UV unwrap (or smart unwrap if the default UV is fucked up). Then I just modify the UV areas by hand and make them perfect in my opinion so they use as much of the texture area as possible while still having relatively good stretching.
Whatever looks best and whatever you feel good with is best :)
Keep up with the good work :)

PS.
The easiest way to do hands is to split the bottom part of the hand (think of black man's hand, the piece that is white is a separate area)
Also split the hand around the wrist.
Then you could just split the arm on the bottom side and when you UV unwrap that it should turn out to be a rectangle shaped UV.
Same for the feet, make the bottom of the feet a separate UV area and the top of the foot another, Split the leg on the inside and unwrap that to a rectangle.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:45:22 am by zamp »

« Reply #1788 on: June 11, 2011, 03:06:46 pm »
Bones
Nice MODEL man

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1789 on: June 11, 2011, 03:12:03 pm »
He didn't create the model.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:29:47 pm by Graf »
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #1790 on: June 11, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »
the super mutant model wasn't done by me, I only modified the UV and applied a base texture :p

Offline zamp

« Reply #1791 on: June 12, 2011, 07:25:38 pm »
Here's the Gecko texture.. Now that I look at it I think the arm and leg should've been vice versa so the arm would be bigger

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #1792 on: June 12, 2011, 07:30:59 pm »
let's see the model with texture

Offline zamp

« Reply #1793 on: June 12, 2011, 08:19:40 pm »
let's see the model with texture

You're not very bright are you? :D
Edit: here

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #1794 on: June 12, 2011, 08:22:10 pm »
The belly of the gecko needs to be much brighter imo, the texture could be a bit sharper too. I obviously lack experience with 3d modelling,  but could you render the gecko without, or with a bit toned down light reflexions zamp? Other then that, good job! :)

« Reply #1795 on: June 12, 2011, 11:00:49 pm »
really nice texture!!, but the size shouldn't be 256 x 256?

Offline zamp

« Reply #1796 on: June 12, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »
really nice texture!!, but the size shouldn't be 256 x 256?

I do them bigger and resize them later

« Reply #1797 on: June 13, 2011, 12:27:28 am »
now that I think about it, it makes much more sense to do that

« Reply #1798 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »
Nice to see that the supermutant got some attention already though I think the new uv map you made isn't good but texture looks nice, what software are you using bones? You could set the texture to be wrap on the object by orco or object then bake the whole thing as a normal and full render then merge the two in gimp and add details will try to look up the ghoul tex I made for reference if you want.
Zamp that gecko looks real cute nice texture you made for the little fella.

« Reply #1799 on: June 13, 2011, 09:21:52 pm »
im using maya
Im not sure if I understood what you said  :P

I am currently watching some UV tutorials to see how can I improve the layout (Y)