Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611889 times)

Offline Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1605 on: May 12, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »
Is there a way to make it so that 3D models fade as they go out of your Field of Vision, like normal 2D models?
Not as simple, especialy not in one pass, unless you like shitty overlapping polygons.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

« Reply #1606 on: May 12, 2011, 04:09:20 pm »
Motion Sensor (latest Version):

I wasn't able to attach the original texture on the main cylinder (theres not really much material to work with). Except at the small box, which comes out of the left site of the sensor itself, i made a new tex for this object. If thats bad (imo it may could be done better ;)) just discard it and do a better one please.

Download Link
EDIT: Updated the link, one of the textures was missing.

The poly count is at 115 now.  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:27:04 pm by Balthasar »

Offline LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
« Reply #1607 on: May 12, 2011, 04:15:35 pm »
awesome job baltha!

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1608 on: May 12, 2011, 04:28:10 pm »

I wasn't able to attach the original texture on the main cylinder (theres not really much material to work with). Except at the small box, which comes out of the left site of the sensor itself, i made a new tex for this object. If thats bad (imo it may could be done better ;)) just discard it and do a better one please.

Download Link
EDIT: Updated the link, one of the textures was missing.

The poly count is at 115 now.  

How can it be 115? the little green thing on top of the cylinder looks to have about 30 itself o.O
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline bikkebakke

• I'll show those FOnliners how RT is supposed to be
« Reply #1609 on: May 12, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »
How can it be 115? the little green thing on top of the cylinder looks to have about 30 itself o.O
smart modeling and good texture :P
Gussiplurr - activehttp://fo2238.fodev.net/status/STATUS

« Reply #1610 on: May 12, 2011, 04:33:28 pm »

Well, just have a look at the model Harald. Max tells me its 115.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:36:20 pm by Balthasar »

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1611 on: May 12, 2011, 06:02:12 pm »
Well, just have a look at the model Harald. Max tells me its 115.
Wings 3D tells me 196 -_- I checked everything I could check, it said 115 in no possible place!
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #1612 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:11 pm »
Wings 3D tells me 196 -_- I checked everything I could check, it said 115 in no possible place!
Don't argue guys, it has 204 polys - I just opened .3ds in max.

Cheers!

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1613 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:52 pm »

Nice model, but it needs a few tweaks:
1.All objects should be attached (so it should be a single object, not 8 like it's now)
2. Make a single texture (128x128 px), not 3 of them.

Polycount could be easily reduced by applying "Optimize" modifier (if you're using 3d max), but I can do it by myself, just fix what I've said before.

« Reply #1614 on: May 12, 2011, 06:41:59 pm »
Strange, it tells me 115!

Well, anyway...the model needs to be corrected in this case of course. I'll leave the wires and will create a new scope. Still i wonder why both max users get different counts but i already heared that there are problems in different versions of Max.

« Reply #1615 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
Nice model, but it needs a few tweaks:
1.All objects should be attached (so it should be a single object, not 8 like it's now)

2. Make a single texture (128x128 px), not 3 of them.

Ok, will try this.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1616 on: May 12, 2011, 06:47:54 pm »
Still i wonder why both max users get different counts but i already heared that there are problems in different versions of Max.

It seems to depend on the file format.

"right click -> open" to enlarge this image.

« Reply #1617 on: May 12, 2011, 06:56:01 pm »
Balthasar, four textures to one 3d model it's too much, I set up a quick example of how the texture should look like of course it's not perfect.

https://rapidshare.com/files/604997369/msensor.rar
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:01:27 pm by Mr_Gazo »
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html

« Reply #1618 on: May 12, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »
Still i wonder why both max users get different counts but i already heared that there are problems in different versions of Max.
There's no problems with counting.
The point is that in Max polygon not always = triangle. You could easily build a 8-triangled polygon, and default polygon counter will show you 1, still it will contain 8 tris, thats why I always switch on Tris counter (it can be switched under menu "Customize -> Viewport configuration -> Statistics tab")

.obj format tries to preserve "quad polys", thats why it still has polys<tris, and .3ds format always strips all polys to tris, so after import back it has equivalent counter.
Do not look at the poly counter and you will be ok! it's simple :)

« Reply #1619 on: May 12, 2011, 07:17:44 pm »
Balthasar, four textures to one 3d model it's too much, I set up a quick example of how the texture should look like of course it's not perfect.

Alright, thank you. It's a good preset ;). Will take a bit to change it, though. I'm not the fastest in texturing as you might have noticed yet :). The main reason i was using several textures was that i'm still in a learning process about UVW mapping. If i texture each object (or at least the main parts) seperatly its much easier for me to know where which part of the texture is modified/wrapped on the 3D model itself. 

There's no problems with counting.
The point is that in Max polygon not always = triangle. You could easily build a 8-triangled polygon, and default polygon counter will show you 1, still it will contain 8 tris, thats why I always switch on Tris counter (it can be switched under menu "Customize -> Viewport configuration -> Statistics tab")

.obj format tries to preserve "quad polys", thats why it still has polys<tris, and .3ds format always strips all polys to tris, so after import back it has equivalent counter.
Do not look at the poly counter and you will be ok! it's simple :)

Ok, ty for the tip on this. If you don't know this you stick to what the program tells you of course.