Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611842 times)

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
Re: 3d models development
« Reply #1575 on: May 10, 2011, 02:55:02 pm »
Extendend Lockpick Set:

Download Link 

Hmm, the texture is a bit ugly due to the big amount of scaling/stretching of the original picture, which is really small. If someone could do better or even does a totally new tex for it maybe this would fit better.
Nah, it's fine! Great job, it'll be a quite small object, so take it easy. However, if something is wrong I occasionally edit the inventory image using GIMP - sharpening, lighting things up or darkening them.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Offline zamp

• Huff 'n puff all you want I ain't falling.
« Reply #1576 on: May 10, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »
Here's gunpowder

Vertex count: 24

Download

Offline Xarr

• Former Troll
« Reply #1577 on: May 10, 2011, 03:29:02 pm »
nice work done yet! keep working  ;)
I used to be a bag of dicks, but then I grew up. I gave many of you guys a hard time, but on the other side I kept myself busy with helping players, and I never gave up on that.

Still, the FOnline community is a thing of it's own class.

Offline zamp

« Reply #1578 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »
87 is good, but I can't open your kebab.3ds because of "Improper file format" error. Fruit opens normally. Is it my personal trouble or the file is damaged?

Odd..
Try grabbing the kebab.3ds or kebab.obj from here http://zamp.koode.org/junk/misc/fomodels/

Edit: On a side note, strange iguana stick geometry is somewhat complete, I'll look for places where to rip out some vertexes so it'll go down from the current 97 vertexes. I'll make the texture a tad later tho.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:24:02 pm by zamp »

« Reply #1579 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »
Made a box with cookies  :) Who knows, maybe someone will use it someday. Tried to keep the style as close to the 1960s as possible.

Download link

The only thing I didn't realize is why the texture acts like a mirror? I wanted to make a texture of the bottom too, but it's just reflected its top.

If you set like mirror it's been mirror. Video.
https://rapidshare.com/files/461737585/fonline-tex-fix-to-graf2.rar
00:48 - Hold Ctrl to select.

Lockpick Set (normal one):

Download Link

Looks great, but a little advice do not leave a white background because many times it is seen on the 3D model.
Here's an example:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:28:37 pm by Mr_Gazo »
Help us to keep Jagged Alliance as a turn-based game!
Please sign the petition! http://www.petitiononline.com/ja2r/petition.html

« Reply #1580 on: May 10, 2011, 06:29:15 pm »
Looks great, but a little advice do not leave a white background because many times it is seen on the 3D model.

Thanks and you're right of course. Here is the fixed version:

Fixed version

« Reply #1581 on: May 10, 2011, 06:47:26 pm »
Messed around with the motion sensor:

-->

Problem here is, that "somebody" would have to add the tex still ;) and second is, that the poly/edge-count is still too high at the splines i think. Couldn't reduce them more or at least i don't know how this could be done. Those splines were "sweeped" so that a 3D outline was added to the shape. Maybe somebody knows how to still reduce them more. Otherwise those cables have to be done again from the scratch i guess.

Download Link

Offline Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #1582 on: May 10, 2011, 07:41:17 pm »

-->

Problem here is, that "somebody" would have to add the tex still ;) and second is, that the poly/edge-count is still too high at the splines i think. Couldn't reduce them more or at least i don't know how this could be done. Those splines were "sweeped" so that a 3D outline was added to the shape. Maybe somebody knows how to still reduce them more. Otherwise those cables have to be done again from the scratch i guess.

Download Link
Mostly use 6 edged cylinders for medium size stuff, 5 edged cylinders for rather small stuff, and 8 for quite big stuff. Wires can be 3 edges, in this case, make the wires most "straight" - don't make it so curvy and if use curves, make them as big as possible - it seems you curved one wire like 7 times in 1 place, where you could have easily went with only 2 or 3 curves. The side thing can have 6 side edges - the handle can have 6 or 5, most of the stuff will be covered by the characters hand anyway. That's a pretty small review.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

« Reply #1583 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:48 pm »

Download Link
you have captured it pretty good! but take a look at Geiger counter I've modeled recently, maybe its not perfect, but still shows pretty much how to capture shape with a relatively small polycount.

and, while modeling, you should plan how you would unwrap it and texture it with pretty lowres texture, so you should keep symmetry where its possible to get more texture space for details

good luck! ;)

PS here's a hint how to do wires quickly - do it with splines, then go to "Rendering" rollout of editable spline properties, and check some parameters as shown on the pic below

also keep in mint that interpolation steps also sould be kept as low as possible (I always set it down to zero)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:42:53 pm by 3dZipp0 »

Offline Gray

« Reply #1584 on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:06 pm »
PS here's a hint how to do wires quickly - do it with splines, then go to "Rendering" rollout of editable spline properties, and check some parameters
Unfortunately, splines are not supported by the game engine. They should be made as mesh (remember about optimization) or as a texture with transparency.

« Reply #1585 on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:27 pm »
Thx for the tipps guys ;). Ok seems the wires have to be made new anyway then.

« Reply #1586 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:58 am »
Unfortunately, splines are not supported by the game engine. They should be made as mesh (remember about optimization) or as a texture with transparency.
yepp, I forgot to mention about splines conversion into mesh after all adjustments :) splines itself are just a way to get wire shapes quickly :)

upd:
here is my version of Tool

I noticed White Tiger's version just before texturing mine, so I decided to finish it and you guys just choose which one goes to the game :)

https://rapidshare.com/files/461815697/Tool.zip

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:03:59 am by 3dZipp0 »

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1587 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:24 pm »

2100 polys?  ??? Dude, are you serious?  :P Even APA barely have that many polys... and it's like 20 times bigger than this device.

Please do something to these wires, make a texture and it would be fine.

Iguana Stick
Vertex Count: 87

We are counting polygons, not vertexes. This model now have almost 150 of them. Please reduce it somehow.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:56:32 pm by Graf »

Offline zamp

« Reply #1588 on: May 11, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »
We are counting polygons, not vertexes. This model now have almost 150 of them. Please reduce it somehow.

Can't really reduce any more geometry without making it not look like what it is in the inventory icon.
Hmm just thought of the damn tomatoes.. they're fan like, fixing soon

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #1589 on: May 11, 2011, 06:39:20 pm »
Can't really reduce any more geometry without making it not look like what it is in the inventory icon.
Hmm just thought of the damn tomatoes.. they're fan like, fixing soon

Alright. 80-100 would be ok.

gunpowder
May I ask you to check your models before uploading please? Gunpowder and fruit has screwed UV mapping, and I can't fix it on my own. If you're on the Blender, try to use export into .STL It helps... from time to time.

P.S. Thanks again, Mr_Gazo. I've got it now. I have no idea why it didn't worked like that last time (though it looks like I did the same thing).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:05:29 pm by Graf »