Author Topic: 3d models development  (Read 611904 times)

Re: 3d models development
« Reply #645 on: February 04, 2011, 08:31:58 am »
Wow, very nice combat armor. Good guys.

« Reply #646 on: February 04, 2011, 09:18:34 am »
what if the BG run would be on the waist level but not on the side. if you can make it run with the weapon in front of him, then i guess it could be cool. the only problem is the minigun and RL since they are the different BG weapons.

Offline Gray

« Reply #647 on: February 04, 2011, 09:19:15 am »
I've decided to fix CA, it was a draft, I wasn't even sure it works.

Tighten it on the waist, enlarged chest plates, fixed some UVWs on the body and attaches.
New arc: http://rapidshare.com/files/446106969/Karpov_CA.rar
Anyone who want may edit a texture or even paint a new one, I'll accept any help.
MA, PA, APA are on the queue.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #648 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:00 am »
Before I forget, someone made that cool M60 model I used, I can't credit him/her because I don't know who has.
We all have to say thanks to this guy from russian community for that awesome model.

« Reply #649 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:21 am »
Running with the big guns would look more natural if the char carried the gun sideways close to the body.

Like in this picture.

Negativ, M249 cannot be considered as a standart for "big gun" (~6-7kg only).
When you have to run with heavy gun, you need to keep both hand close your body :
 - left hand near his shoulder
- right hand just up the belt level.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #650 on: February 04, 2011, 11:01:17 am »
Negativ, M249 cannot be considered as a standart for "big gun" (~6-7kg only).
When you have to run with heavy gun, you need to keep both hand close your body :
 - left hand near his shoulder
- right hand just up the belt level.
I agree with your points, but both m249 and m60 weights about 10-10.5 kg (~23 lb). Both are machine guns., so they definitely could be considered as a big gun.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:04:08 am by Graf »

« Reply #651 on: February 04, 2011, 12:05:14 pm »
Real World:

Wanted to adress this aswell but couldn't find a good pic. In fallout the chars kick their legs way too up, almost knee-high, while in the pic shown by pistacja that is totally not the case.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #652 on: February 04, 2011, 01:14:36 pm »
The Fallout style was supposed to be comic-/cartoon-like, so the movements and proportions were exxagerated, to compensate the lack of details in size.

« Reply #653 on: February 04, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »
The Fallout style was supposed to be comic-/cartoon-like, so the movements and proportions were exxagerated, to compensate the lack of details in size.

You're right. The main character looks like a greek statue, he shoots pistols and smgs carelessly with one hand and rifles always from the hip. It's another story whether this style should be continued or not.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Offline Graf

• "Next Day" developer
« Reply #654 on: February 04, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »
It's another story whether this style should be continued or not.
It should be continued. Otherwise, it will be another VanBuren not Fallout 2 models/animations.

Offline Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #655 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »
You're right. The main character looks like a greek statue, he shoots pistols and smgs carelessly with one hand and rifles always from the hip. It's another story whether this style should be continued or not.

Ofcourse it should be.

Offline Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #656 on: February 04, 2011, 01:36:30 pm »
I think running should be made to look less odd, even compared to the old models it looks odd I think (maybe I just never paid attention to it :P), but theres no reason that they shouldn't shoot rifles from the hip etc - would be weird to not have that.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.

Offline Alvarez

• Forget the past, go outside and have a blast
« Reply #657 on: February 04, 2011, 01:55:44 pm »
Ofcourse it should be.

Certainly.

But there's a catch - original Fallout art were high-poly models, rendered into frameset animations - round forms, smudged with dithering, chopped into 10 frames.
Interplay modelers made a nice dish, framers threw it in blender, coders smeared this paste on bread and it tasted delicious.

3d models are built-in, they have smooth animation, clean edges, more realistic proportions: it looks a bit comically, when they run with legs high in the air, perhaps because the original lacked transition frames due to technical limitations and with smooth transition it's not really necessary to exxagerate.
I even wonder how was it back then, when Interplay released the Van Buren videos and what did the fans think, especially those who were averted with the 3d look? What aspect was alien, weird to them? Realistic movements?

« Reply #658 on: February 04, 2011, 02:05:02 pm »
I think running should be made to look less odd, even compared to the old models it looks odd I think (maybe I just never paid attention to it :P), but theres no reason that they shouldn't shoot rifles from the hip etc - would be weird to not have that.

Yes only the running needs some attention. Shooting guns carelessly just suits the slugmatch style of combat.

« Reply #659 on: February 04, 2011, 02:40:30 pm »
*Is making few basic skintones for naked bald guy.*
What'd you guys think. 6-8skintones will be good? I don't see real point in making more than 10 of them.

(Of course I'm saving hues number to match it with female base texture :P)

But there is another possibility. I might do 6-8 basic ones (Pale, normal, black, tanned etc.) + tatooed one for all of them. From original Fallouts perspective tattoos will be really small so it shouldn't matter whatever they will be. Probably some tribals. I can also try making two versions. Low tatooed guy + heavy tattooed guy for every skintone.
Later on I'll send some fruits of my work but first I need some feedback about tattoo idea.

I'm almost sure it can be done another way than basic skin(so you can have different tattoos on ye. Just seperate texture for tatoo - like for clothing) but question is - if there's need for that?

Many thanks for Karpov for pointing me few things and for all the great work he's doing!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:06:00 pm by SmartCheetah »
Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother.
We fell from different cunts,
and your skins an ugly color!