Author Topic: Clothes and armor making - the beginning  (Read 20052 times)

Offline NastyKhan

• One man army: Graphic, music and game designer.
Re: Clothes and armor making - the beginning
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 08:05:50 pm »
Together with the pickaxes i made - broken hills will look more funny now :)

You may also click HERE to see my 3d items and weapons.

~ Sorry for any language bugs. Doing my best.

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »
I know that feel, Jotisz.
Supermutants used to be your speciality, now there's a new modeler on the block...just kidding.:)

But i guess you have to make now something new. And, Nasty - this mutant miner looks really cool. Could you post the model so i could rig it?
Wasteland is a tricky business.

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »
Lizard if you want to have a go at the animating I could up the rig I use.

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 08:24:45 pm »
Yea, sure, that would be cool. :)

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »
Yes Lizard. I got this model from Jotisz.

What about miner skin ans helmet? Are they ok?

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
Okay, erm...

1. The rags on the wrists are overlapping a bit over the thumb in front. I think they're supposed to be bandaged over the fingers?
2. The pants with holes look awesome. But the crack in the rear needs to be smoothed out, the pants aren't supposed to eat ass.
3. The helmet looks good, just add some scratches. The lamp also look nice, but you could double the face count to make it more rounder. If you want a perfect round front, you could use an alpha texture to fake the round front. Also add some tubing at the side of the lamp, miners use gas-fueled lamps.

Offline NastyKhan

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 11:59:15 pm by NastyKhan »

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 12:26:12 am »
Is there a way of combining this mutant skin with the one Jotisz was playing with? There's a danger of these not looking right in game, and currently no easy way to test them until we've got a rigged Supermutant that can be inserted into the game properly - though I think what Jotisz was testing here should work. If you develop the "high-def" texture based on lighting and position of the "sprite texture", then there's a very high chance of it looking right in game. Otherwise, these are looking very promising. Some nice ideas and variations in there. Good work.

Regardless, make sure you keep all the PSD (or equivalent) source files, so they can be tweaked and adjusted as necessary once we've got the texture stuff sorted - and then tweaked again if we alter the lighting / shaders in future.

Regarding test rigs and stuff, if there's any chance of getting one of Jotisz's rigs out of Blender and into game, that'd be a massive help. I'm quite a long way from getting to the supermutant - currently I'm about 60% through the "peasant man" shape. Needs a bit of further tweaking until it aligns properly, but should have "guideline" forms there next time I've got a few hours to spare. There's my recent ingame test shots here :

Needs tweaking for shoulder/head/leg position, but once that's done, I can projection paint the sprites onto them properly, and we'll have some guideline textures to work from. Bear in mind things like the hat will only be "painted on", but you'll be able to use the guideline texture to position and shape it accurately. Once that's done, judging by the speed you're working at the moment, you can probably produce the proper ones of these in a day or two :)

[edit] Also, I'm testing some further stuff with the "hero" model, to analyse the engine lighting, and remove the equivalent from the texture, so we shouldn't have any "double shadow" in there. There's a few other bits I'm testing, but if it all works, things are going to be much easier pretty soon.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:32:09 am by Luther Blissett »

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 12:42:49 am »
Is there a way of combining this mutant skin with the one Jotisz was playing with?
I am using Jotisz's model, but i don't know if this is the one he played with. Ask him instead.

There's a danger of these not looking right in game
Well. I made it once, i can do again ;) I'm still at the practice level, but once we have rigged model - i'll start serious work.

Regarding test rigs and stuff, if there's any chance of getting one of Jotisz's rigs out of Blender and into game, that'd be a massive help.
I'm sure of it. But currently i can't.

I'm about 60% through the "peasant man" shape.
That's excellent :) I also see that all peasant textures has been made already.. Pity. I wanted to do that :(

I also have to admit that i have no idea what "projection paint" and "guideline textures" are. No - you don't have to explain though. Just call me, gimme a gun and point the target when you need me.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 03:41:32 am »
Hahaha. Basically, I've been setting the models up equivalent to their in-game pose, then "throwing the sprite" at it. This gives us a rough texture, based upon the original sprite "stuck to" a 3D model. These textures are really messy and ugly, but they show us what colours to use, where the shading should be and where the coat, trousers etc are. We can use these messy textures as "guidelines" and paint a "high def" texture over it - but we will be certain that everything is in the correct place, correct colour and correct shading.

So, once I complete these "test texture" things, we will need "proper ones" doing after. You'll have something like this, then you make it look less shit :)

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 08:40:44 am »
I would love to see them ingame too. I did some bvh exports. These should be readable by autodesk products.
http://db.tt/AqRX8LAF
contains idling running use and walk animation.
By the way I really love how those critters start to look they are quite close to originals.

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:56 am »
Yeah, me too. However i'd be glad if Blender would be able to export the animation straight to .x, instead of bugging out. The .BVH import seems our only option for now.

Btw, i modified your mutie running cycle a bit, Jotisz. Check your PM.

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:10 am »
As I know blender 2.49 had a working x format exporter. And there is a work on a new one but till then we got bvh:)
On your animation editing it looks like a nice touch.

Offline Luther Blissett

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 12:09:45 pm »
Nice one. I'll have a look at these when I get back from work tonight, and see if I can get anything working somehow.

Offline NastyKhan

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »
Animation looks good. And yes - blender can export straight to .x . Dunno the effectiveness though.