"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 01:32:15 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: fonline is not user friendly i guess:,(  (Read 16917 times)

fonline is not user friendly i guess:,(
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:44 pm »

im wondering, the most wieved topic 'how to get started' has 120000 wievs...
does that rly mean we had 120k people that wanted to try this game but then abandoned it forever?
after all its not popular and anyhow recomended game so i guess only old fallout fans try it ... and leave it

its sad
dlaczego muzyka black metalowa jest szybka?  bo gdy sie czlowiek spieszy to sie diabel cieszy :)

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
Re: fonline is not user friendly i guess:,(
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:23 pm »

Views do not mean people... and that's just about one of the oldest threads on this forum after NMA. But yeah, I'm sure there have been many people that no longer play.
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:41:20 pm »

they do not? i dont get it , so if you view multiple times it also counts?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:43:10 pm by maciek83 »
dlaczego muzyka black metalowa jest szybka?  bo gdy sie czlowiek spieszy to sie diabel cieszy :)

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:43:25 pm »

they do not? i dont get it
well if i open and close this thread over and over the amount of times it was veiwed will go up. it goes based on amount of times opened not by ip/person.
Roaming the waste again.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:44:25 pm »

If you close out of the internet browser, and then go to the page again it adds a count each time. But you're still right, it is sad how people abandon a game, which many have.

Also, spambots probably are a decent percent of that total. Even obscure wiki pages have over 1k views due to spambots.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:46:09 pm by Dishonest Abe »
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:45:34 pm »

o, then its not so dramatic after all, maybe this number is then like 12k...

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:46:26 pm »

after all its not popular and anyhow recomended game so i guess only old fallout fans try it ... and leave it
I wasn't actually friend of fallout when I started playing on 2238
(Of course I was played fallout games, but they weren't very good in my option)

Yeah.. I think everyone who want to play 2238 know about it ;)
I just hate people who install game -> new character -> dies x30 like something whatever -> stop playing

It just... sad
I have died about.. hmm let's count.. million times? Lost some good stuff sometimes and sometimes I was just on bluesuit
It made me feel weird, if I don't die on 2238 :/

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 02:46:58 am »

It is actually true as falloutdude says.  I have tested this...

I'd say less than half of those views are from individuals.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 02:58:09 am »

I think the installation process should be revamped because I've had to help over five of my friends via team viewer set their shit up, and I've even confused myself while doing it lol. I know for sure there's people who've probably tried to install the game but couldn't so they moved on.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 03:25:32 am »

I think the installation process should be revamped because I've had to help over five of my friends via team viewer set their shit up, and I've even confused myself while doing it lol. I know for sure there's people who've probably tried to install the game but couldn't so they moved on.

Makes you wonder if putting master.dat and critter.dat included into installation would bring any problems.

falloutdude

• just some canadian guy
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 03:30:13 am »

Makes you wonder if putting master.dat and critter.dat included into installation would bring any problems.
hrmm of course it would. devs cant do that because that would be pirateing. they would be sued or some shit like that.
Roaming the waste again.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 03:28:08 pm »

i dont think installing the game is a problem here, if someone cant do it properly or search forum for help ,such game is already not for him so he will rage quit anyway.

i think that main problem is a REALLY hard start, when you have nothing but one (crappy) character.
we really HAVE TO do something to make it easier! my sugestions would be:

1.make tents not require any hides but be doable by a command
2.make npcs in towns that give for FREE limitless amount of crapiest weapon of its class and if you are below level 10. and make those weapons even crapier so no trolling with them is possible in any way.that would require new crapy energy weapon that use no ammo maybe, and new crapy big gun with ammo for it, such weapons should be not able to be taken out of inventory in any way either on ground on locker to trade or to be looted from dead body.

maby this is not SO logic idea but it would REALLY do the trick. or enlighten me why not...

Gilgamé

• Fly high radio.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:07 pm »

Rags to Riches is a great story, and all the more rewarding when you accomplish it without handouts.

This game is hard. I actually like it that way. The more padding a game gets the more stagnant it gets.

I refer you to this analogy for dwarf fortress.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110522180205/vsrecommendedgames/images/a/a5/Dwarf_Fortress_fun.png
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »

alrite but the problem is more people just quit whe see no way to get ahead in game
and giving somethink really crappy for free is not so much of a help really
it just gives a chance for those 'less smarter'
i think having more people play this game is really worth it

besides youd always not take that free crap and play it as a hardcorer should
in fact if you are smart you will get faster a better not free weapon and do better that way

i just see we have to help those poor people that find begining a dying and loosing all fest
maybe this is desperation but i think its more good than bad

we have to do some sacrifices if we want more people in game
and this is far better solution than some noob-friendly zones nonsens
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:54:32 pm by maciek83 »
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »

i think that main problem is a REALLY hard start, when you have nothing but one (crappy) character.
we really HAVE TO do something to make it easier!

I'd have to disagree here. It's not that the game is actually hard, but there's no difficulty curve, so the biggest challenge for a new player are actually the first few days. A fix to the difficulty curve  afaik wouldn't be established by handing out freebies, but by gating areas that introduce progressively difficult situations and concepts, which flies in the face of what the game is.

In fact I'd argue that difficulty isn't an obstacle, but information or rather lack thereof. As is, a new player is thrown into the same gameworld/circumstances as an experienced player with several L24 builds. Since the former isn't forced to pvp the latter, this isn't so much a problem in itself. What is a problem, though, is that a new player not only has no clue what to do, but often comes from a background, where the only possible expectation for Fonline can be "Fallout MMO", which it is actually quite a bit removed from. Throw in the unexpected possibility of pvp anywhere due to basically no safe zones, which often results in distrust in the player base and you basically get massive frustration. The big problem here imo is not so much difficulty, but how to convey a few essential points:

• You're not the Chosen One.
  • There is no difficulty curve. Your first few days are your trial by fire, it will be easier after that.
  • Other players can and will abuse you. Anytime. Anywhere.
  • Until you figure some stuff out, you'll fail constantly. Even after that, get used to death and loss. Just accept it.
  • You're not the Chosen One. And in fact you never will be. The game doesn't revolve around you and doesn't give a flying shit to begin with. Deal with it, at least it's not going to get harder.

The reality is, as is, the mod will never be big. And that's fine, the game experience itself is simply too niche. What I did observe however, is that practically every new player expecting a Fallout 2 MMO is raging like crazy and, if no intervention happens, quits a few hours/days in. However, new players without expectations or with the mindset of not having everything handed to them are doing perfectly fine or at least as fine as can be expected in my experience. Granted, sometimes it's just sheer luck, if an experienced player decides to show you the ropes, you will have a much smoother start than on your own. But in the end they're all facing the same starting conditions and those with the appropriate mindset fare exponentially better than those that aren't prepared to be treated by the game like an intruder. Which is basically the piece of information we ideally want to be able to convey to every new player.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 22 queries.