"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 07:19:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Safely trade with NPCs.  (Read 1076 times)

Safely trade with NPCs.
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:08 am »

Alright, I know this is supposed to be all post-apocalyptic and shit but having our stuff taken away by some troll alt or get the trade window closed before we can even find what we're looking for in the huge pile of stuff the NPC is selling is just too much.

I don't care about petty thiefs walking around the streets trying to rob you, but robbing while you negotiate with a trader surrounded by guards? That's the kind of thing I expect to see in The Real Hustle, it's just TOO easy to steal from players.

Instead of not giving XP to the thief for stealing from players give him a similar success/fail roll that they have for NPCs, if they fail to steal from a player they can be killed by the players, if they manage to steal something then they just run back to their tents.

Also... I'm sure I'm not the only one that has to go into the trade screen more than once, I have to see how much X amount of the item I want to sell will be enough to buy X amount of the item I want, and before buying what I want I need to find the item through all that random crap, If players can't share the trade window then give us 2 minutes to trade instead of 44 seconds, if someone abuses it we simply push them away from the NPC.

So simply put these are my suggestions for trading with NPCs:

-Steal-free zone around trader.

-Change to fail when stealing from players.

-2 minutes (120 seconds) to trade with a merchant.

I know people will come here and say ''Just put the valuables in your hand'', we're not talking about valuables here, I'm talking about stuff that we sell everyday, you can't even go sell a fruit without having to look around all the time, it takes more time than it should because of troll thiefs and not enough time to trade.

Most of the real thiefs are stealing from brotherhood patrols anyway, why should petty city thiefs be able to steal whatever they want simply by creating a character and sitting around in NCR all day? As i said, I know this game os apocalypse-based but not being able to trade because of a level 1 is just unbalanced.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:20:24 am by lucas. »
Re: Safely trade with NPCs.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 09:46:14 am »

Theives mostly hang around NCR, so one solution is don't go to NCR.

Instead of not giving XP to the thief for stealing from players give him a similar success/fail roll that they have for NPCs, if they fail to steal from a player they can be killed by the players, if they manage to steal something then they just run back to their tents.

This is already true. If the theif fails, they become unprotected and can be shot by players.
Theres also a chance that a guard spots them, and they will become unprotected.

Alt-clicking on a player one hex from you, gives you the ability to "Push", if they are unprotected, a message will say "They arn't blocking anything yet" or something similar.
Or if they were unprotected by blocking, they would be knocked down and pushed back.

-Steal-free zone around trader.

-Change to fail when stealing from players.

-2 minutes (120 seconds) to trade with a merchant.

1. The best and should-be ONLY Steal-free zone is the World Map.
   This would limit the trolling power of theives, and we just can't have that. (Not to mention the ones that want to put items ON you)

2. As said above, this is already the case. Get higher Perception perhaps?

3. I don't really have problems with the Barter timer, you just gotta be quicker, or trader smaller amounts at a time.
Everything must change.

Perteks

• It's made of vague and to do lists!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:48:49 am »

Another cry topic about nerf thieves or make lolz stupid "safe" zones for trade? Uhh
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:26:00 pm »

you should use the ras clear theme for thief spotting

Kombajn

• Ciśnij pompki, paziu.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 09:36:08 am »

Exactly. There are few interfaces with transparents windows, thank to this you are able to see what's going on around you.
Beside of that there are many cities beside the NCR, like Hub, Junktown and San Francisco - I did trade there like over 100 times and did not spot any thief yet, strange ha?

What you want to do is to nerf one character to adavantage another. But maybe at first you should try to devise your own strategy how to prevent thiefs to steal from you?

There are some advices:

1. Get the interface with transparent windows.
2. Tag charcters that tried to steal from you previously to be prepared when they be around.
3. Before real trade, visit the merchant and see what he/she got and what will be cost of the trade. Then you will know what approximately amount/or what gear you'll have to prepare to make a deal. So it will be much faster.
4. Leave NCR alone in the rush hours.
5. Make a barter character with 10 perception, which makes your character beeing harder to rob.

Currently retired.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:14 am »

There are some advices:

1. Get the interface with transparent windows. Just did it.
2. Tag charcters that tried to steal from you previously to be prepared when they be around. Will do.
3. Before real trade, visit the merchant and see what he/she got and what will be cost of the trade. Then you will know what approximately amount/or what gear you'll have to prepare to make a deal. So it will be much faster. Always do it.
4. Leave NCR alone in the rush hours. Always... ALWAYS.
5. Make a barter character with 10 perception, which makes your character beeing harder to rob. Seems like too much work.

I do that stuff.

It's just that in most games a shop is suposed to be a place to relax and select things carefully.

Kombajn

• Ciśnij pompki, paziu.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:10:55 am »

I do that stuff.

It's just that in most games a shop is suposed to be a place to relax and select things carefully.

Well said! But I am affriad that this is NOT a common game. Wasteland is harsh, deal with it or leave it, simple as it is.
Currently retired.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.