"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 05, 2024, 05:53:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tribes: ascend - free to play FPS  (Read 3568 times)

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
Tribes: ascend - free to play FPS
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »

I wonder how many of our power build-pk-uber-bluesuit-eaters would like to try their chances in totally free continuation of Tribes franchise. High-rez studios came out with free to play FPS which got out of beta some time ago.

Most important thing is that it's actually well balanced F2P game. You can buy yourself small advantage over other players by using real money to get weapons and such BUT it's barely noticeable difference since you can quickly make it up just by playing and earning exp (weapons and upgrades are affordable with experience points).

I've never threw a penny and am doing just damn fine... other thing is I really should because there is no other way to show my appreciation towards hi-rez who does great job in listening to community and with continuing development of game.

Anyway grab a link.
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1363477&utm_campaign=email
It's of course referral link so anybody who's going to get into game via it is helping me a little but hey... at least I'm honest right? ...right? uh...

Eyecandy!

Some wonderful gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcNnU3D5rHc&feature=relmfu

So... yeah anyone willing to play with OR against me bring it on. My nick is KittyTail and everyone who are already playing throw your names so I can team up with ya.
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl
Re: Tribes: ascend - free to play FPS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:50:29 pm »

Looks like candy for me , but it seems my PC most probably won't handle it. Depends on how good the game can be customized , like quake live where you change everything to look like legoland and make the game run on a complete garbage if you wish so. :)

Gob

• The Good
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »

looks like the unreal engine

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:20 pm »

Looks like candy for me , but it seems my PC most probably won't handle it. Depends on how good the game can be customized , like quake live where you change everything to look like legoland and make the game run on a complete garbage if you wish so. :)
This.

2 gig of ram and an integrated shit-card doesn't go well with real life graphics.
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Y0ssarian

• incredible
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 09:33:03 pm »

Tbh looks like crap and people still play starsiege tribes. Load of mods and somewhat alive community.
power

Cyber Jesus

• I piss excellence
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:49:47 pm »

the graphics and the gameplay look like poop and there are already a thousand games just like this one so nothing special.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:52:08 pm by Cyber Jesus »

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:04 pm »

Well yeah... minimal requirements are kinda high unfortunately
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz / Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
RAM: 2 GB RAM (Windows XP) / 3 GB RAM (Vista, 7)
Graphics: GeForce 8800 GT / ATI Radeon 3870 or better
Hdd space: 10 GB

looks like the unreal engine
It is Unreal engine 3 indeed.

the graphics and the gameplay look like poop and there are already a thousand games just like this one so nothing special.
Nope. Actually this game (as whole series to be honest) is quite innovative. It's not run and shoot. It's slideeee and shoot. Movement mechanics are adding a lot into gameplay. You're equiped with jetpack with limited renewable energy and skiing boots.

With jetpack you can climb on some mountain and then skii at huge speed from it. Then there is shooting model where you can skii forward while sending bullets or discs behind you at chasing you enemy. Other thing is part of your velocity (I guess it was set to 1/2) is added to your projectiles to aiming can be really tricky. Believe me it's not generic FPS that you can see everywhere.

avv

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »

Snipers gonna snipe.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 04:05:08 pm »

I still play starsiege tribes from time to time, one of the best games I played, I might try this one out.
Keep your head down, your eyes open and your mouth shut.

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:41:06 pm »

I play it since closed beta, the game is fun, one of rare game out there that isn't "generic modern shooter #4576", concept is great, advanced teamplay interesting. Though, it does have many flaws: optimized like shit, netcode is shit, major physics issues, some imbalance issues, pub games have most times an awful lack of teamplay/objective play... Still, you can have fun, especially with friends on mumble. And well, it's free after all.

Hahahaha. Not at all. This the very reason why this game is very intersting and fun despite his flaws: the gameplay is radically different from pretty much all other games. And with max setting, it looks pretty good, though with the shitty optimization you would need a hell of a computer.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:45:05 pm by Crazy »
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

avv

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:06:09 pm »

I play it since closed beta, the game is fun, one of rare game out there that isn't "generic modern shooter #4576", concept is great, advanced teamplay interesting. Though, it does have many flaws: optimized like shit, netcode is shit, major physics issues, some imbalance issues, pub games have most times an awful lack of teamplay/objective play... Still, you can have fun, especially with friends on mumble. And well, it's free after all.

I bet it's all about fast small hitbox classes with high spike damage weapons like sniper.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 08:01:20 pm »

Yeah, been playing for about a month now. A great experience when you get the hang of how to properly gain speed and do blue plate specials (a mid-air kill with a spinfusor - an explosive disc firing weapon). It's just so satisfying going at 300km/h, grab the flag, keep going at huge speeds, retrieve your flag on the way and capture. It's EXTREMELY satisfying. What you will run across tho is:
 * Stupid pub players who "llama grab" the flag (Llama grab)
 * A little broken physics - you may sometimes run into nothing and die
 * A need for a powerful PC (Altough I can play the game with a single core 3.0GHz processor and Nvidia 8400GS about fine on lowest graphics)
 * [VGS]... You will understand that what it means.

If you like old-school fast paced shooters then this might be the thing you are looking for. It's still getting occasionally updated. Incase you want to give me a referal reward, you can use this link: https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1711898&utm_campaign=email

By registering through referal links you will get a EXP booster (atleast so I heard) and I will receive 5k EXP once you reach level 6.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »

Snipers gonna snipe.
Infiltrators gone infiltrate... and backstab.
All classes have their counter class and If I'm getting killed for the x-th time by sentinel it calls for ninja time.

I bet it's all about fast small hitbox classes with high spike damage weapons like sniper.
Snipers (class is called sentinel) have one of just few hitbox weapons. Aiming is pretty hard thing to do especially with speeds that enemy can achieve. Other thing is both sniper weapons needs to recharge for a while to do maximum damage. If you just throw shoot after shoot you are less then effective and killing even the lightest class would take you 14-18 direct shoots (not including damage falloff when shooting targets being further than maximum range). So yeah... effective sentinels can be real pain for pathfinders and light classes but they are also really easy to kill.

Oh also worth mentioning none hitbox weapon is one shoot kill. It takes 2 fully charged shoots to kill light class. 3 to take down medium and at least 5 or even 6 for heavies.

* [VGS]... You will understand that what it means.
[VGN][VGTG]

If you like old-school fast paced shooters then this might be the thing you are looking for. It's still getting occasionally updated. Incase you want to give me a referal reward, you can use this link: https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1711898&utm_campaign=email
Don't use hes link! Use mine, use mine! :3
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1363477&utm_campaign=email

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:08:07 pm »

I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Y0ssarian

• incredible
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 03:00:03 am »

Tribes series was never about skill really. Simply get the altitude advantage over your enemy and spam disc/explosives. Also Dynamix acknowledged skiing as a movement based exploit but never cared to fix the engine so now it lives as some sort of nostalgic 'oldschool' flavor.

But damn, was ATF mod fun. Jesus really knew how to make a realistic game mode.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:05:11 am by Y0ssarian »
power
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.