"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 05, 2024, 06:05:50 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Video Game Design  (Read 1712 times)

Gunduz

• [MDK]skankin
Video Game Design
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:09:05 am »

So I've decided that video games are the only things that hold my interest long enough for me to attempt a career at. I know it's not all fun and games and that programming is a pain in the ass and graphic design can be just as complicated. But I'd like advice, whether you actually have a job doing this, or just if you have ideas.

So what degree would I need in college for this? I'm in college now, but I don't expect to graduate on time, so I can pretty much start from scratch. The combination I'm looking at now is a computer science degree with a minor in graphic design (a major if I can actually manage it, but I'll settle for a minor.)

Also, what kind of experience should I be building to prepare for this? I know I should probably start learning at least one programming language, but I'm not sure which to start with (I have a small background in Java). I'm sure any experience with a software company would look good on a resume, but other than that I really don't know what else to be doing.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: Video Game Design
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:44:48 am »

So what degree would I need in college for this?

In theory, it doesn't matter much. It's more important what you can and what you have done already. If you want to apply to a job in the industry, the best is to have something to show and present.

Check out MCAs post in the Bethsoft fora. It should give you some kind of minor overview.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:18:29 am »

To get a job at any major company you need about 4 years of university in game design and about 3 years experience.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:04 am »

You are not a smart troll.

Arminius

• Rat Shaman
    • arminius1453's Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 05:38:01 am »

Not bya a
You are not a smart troll.
Not by a long shot, I'd add.

There's little to add to what ol' Avellone has already said, other than his interviews for NMA, but one of the biggest problems you'll find is dealing with your free time, as you'd have to dedicate a sizeable part of it to designing whilst working for survival (unless you don't need to) and studying (can't work with anything properly without a degree). So you really must love game designing, or at least be very diligent about it. I've been trying, me and a couple friends, for a few months now, produce a concept of game and it's hard to get everyone on track. Maybe alone you can do it with more ease, but it sure requires more focus.

As Avellone said, before starting with a programming language proper, maybe the best first experience would be setting up a scenario, in any given engine. Neverwinter Nights comes with a toolset, ready with models, textures, items and a few pre-programmed scripts that you can manipulate. If you know Java you probably know programming logic, and from it to scripting it's a mere step.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.