"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 08, 2024, 01:47:32 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2  (Read 3297 times)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:06:02 am »

I just hope they don't fuck this up by making a console port of it. So far the mechanics look lovely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHHmTSDCvA
<Izual> Let's crash server

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown 2
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:51 am »

Well, it is kind of a console port. Also it's not "Enemy Unkown 2," it's more of a remake or reimagination of the first game.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »

Must say it looks much better than the statics presented earlier.
It's a bit shame they did not make it using the same 90s toon style though.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:27 pm »

I know that it is not Enemy Unknown 2, but naming the game the same as an old one is confusing and stupid.

The graphics can change at any moment anyway (Borderlands, anyone?) so that's not final. The thing that I fear the most are aliens behaving like standard human opponents. Look at how they move and use cover. You could replace that with a townhead and it would look exactly as fitting as these aliens.
<Izual> Let's crash server

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:06:14 pm »

looks good, I hope gameplay is good

Blubber we miss You!!!

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:07 am »

. The thing that I fear the most are aliens behaving like standard human opponents. Look at how they move and use cover.
Not like they haven't been like that before, guess it's too early to judge, but one would be almost certain different aliens will behave differently (and sectiods seen there are the most humanoid thing you could encounter).

It'd be cool if they now really implemented the idea of adapting AI from apocalypse (where AI tries to adapt to player tactics, but god knows how well it worked...) to increase replayebility (which was huge in original xcom).
"This is your forum."

OXXON

• I need some bubble gum, im sick of kicking ass
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:13 am »

Not like they haven't been like that before, guess it's too early to judge, but one would be almost certain different aliens will behave differently (and sectiods seen there are the most humanoid thing you could encounter).

It'd be cool if they now really implemented the idea of adapting AI from apocalypse (where AI tries to adapt to player tactics, but god knows how well it worked...) to increase replayebility (which was huge in original xcom).

what? in original x-Com the aliens copy your tactics? really?

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 09:20:40 am »

I always sucked at XCOM, aliens whooped by ass in the 3rd mission/first terror attack. Dunno what I did wrong all the time, not enough firepower? not enough armor? to slow science process? they just slaughtered me every time.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »

what? in original x-Com the aliens copy your tactics? really?

Nope, but in Apocalypse they are supposed to adapt to it. They say if you exchange savegames with your friend, AI should be different to what you are used to.

@ Andr3aZ: Most probably suicide tactics :d. Science is usually not a problem, since all you really need is laser rifle (which is like third research from the very start, and TBH laser pistol is very decent too), and then heavy plasma/heavy laser to take out tough foes. And AC/RL will kick any section/floater ass anyway.
"This is your forum."

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:25 pm »

@ Andr3aZ: Most probably suicide tactics :d.

Whats better, spreding out or swarm through the map? I always had 2-3 man teams spread out. I'm afraid if I swarm around they'll alienrocket my entire squad in one shot.

yoz

• yoz ace / yoz kage
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 08:30:57 pm »

X-com 3 was great. I always fucked with the cultists for sport.
Kill the men, rape the women, eat the children.

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:31 am »

@And3aZ,

The trick to survival was to use smoke grenades prior to leaving from Skyranger, & when breaching UFO's. Flares were also a must for night missions.

I used to assign 1 of 4 roles to each soldier based on starting stats. Basically any recruit wih over 50 reaction was 'scout', over 60 firing accuracy a 'sniper', the 'grenadier' had to have high throwing stat & strength as it was his job to carry ammo for rocket launcher guy & to always have atleast one primed grenade ready, finally the 'rocket launcher guy' is self explanatory- his job was to ensure no building was left standing for the aliens to hide behind/inside (=^_^=)

The trick was to kneel snipers just outside skyranger & wait until a scout located an alien. The snipers would only need to move should a better position be needed in order to cover scouts once they start making some distace away from Skyranger.The kneeling sniper would then take out any aliens discovered by scouts (sometimes even across whole map as you can shoot any distance as long as you have line of fire even though the sniper himself might not have had line of sight).

The whole operation was a slow process as the scouts sweeped the map away from Skyranger at only 2 hexes per turn & always ended turn in the 'kneel' position. This way; on alien turn, any undiscovered alien coming within scouts line of fire will result in reaction fire from scout (reaction fire= reaction stat × time units left ÷ total time units). As the scouts improved with each mission they really came into their own. Same as the Snipers.

The XCOM base defence missions were even more fun. This is because the aliens only spawned in hangers and the entry port. What this ment is that you could build you base so as all the hangers are dumped together with base entrance & then set up a choke point (as you build your base), so that there is only one corridor leading into the hangers & base entry. Then anihilate the aliens as they try to leave the hangers through one access point (the small radar facality was best used as during actual mission it was an empty room with no doors which enabled snipers & rocket launcher be fired right through it all the way to hanger).

oh what nostalgia...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:18:44 am by AdolphbinStalin »

Haraldx

• This forum... The memories... The history...
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:25 am »

I like the cinematic camera. It's way better than in Fallout 3/NV - no slow-motion and other useless stuff.
I still can be reached over e-mail if you somehow need anything from me. Don't see a reason why you would, but if you do, e-mail remains the safest bet, as I do not visit this forum reliably anymore.

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:01:19 am »

Thank you for the tactics dude :)

When I pull out that game of my mountain of CDs again Ill remember it and try it out!

AdolphbinStalin

• Always late...
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:21:20 am »

Thank you for the tactics dude :)

When I pull out that game of my mountain of CDs again Ill remember it and try it out!

You can DL XCOM 1 for free, & just use DosBOX to play. Another one of my favourites on the old 486 was Twighlight 2000 (with colonels expansion); also works with DosBox & fixes a late game breaking glitch that resulted the original game to be unplayable.

/regards.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.