"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 05:27:14 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All this stupidity about realism, this game is not realistic in any way.  (Read 2122 times)

I keep seeing complaints about realism by people who don't have any idea what a realistic scenario would be. First of all there would be nothing but trace background radiation this many years after the bombs fell. Chernobyl has become a wildlife refuge, hiroshima is a booming city, and this is in under 50 years. We are talking about 150 years after the bombs dropped, society would be way more recovered than it is in fallout but still NCR and VC are pretty much modern cities. That they wouldn't have banking and trade systems this long after is unthinkable, people can recover from a lot in 3 generations. It's like the wild west, all the towns that were filled with wanton murder and prostitution became normal cities and the wild people moved west until they couldn't act like that anywhere. That happened in the span of about 2 generations.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:07:56 am by Roachor »

A. the centre of chernobyl is DEFINITELY not a wildlife refuge, B. Hiroshima was a small bomb, relatively, and it still took a huge EFFORT to save it, same with chernobyl, without intervention those areas would still be complete wastelands.

YuriRuler90

• Slaughtering since 2077

Last time I checked, anything that is made of metal and is within a mile or so of Chernobyl is still irradiated enough to cause major damage over extended exposure.

Zaberish

• Eat or be eaten!

Roachor, are you from Chernobyl? Or from Hiroshima maybe?

Chernobyl is still a dead zone. Dead, irradiated, dangerous place. I live close enough to Chernobyl to know that.
And Hiroshima was hit with ONE SMALL BOMB. Which destroyed WHOLE BIG CITY.
What is now Wasteland was bombed with MANY, MANY BIG BOMBS...

First of all there would be nothing but trace background radiation this many years after the bombs fell.

Tell me, are you being constantly irradiated in the wasteland? The answer is "no", of course. You can (randomly or willingly) go to places, where radiation is present, but places like that are rather scarce in the wastes. Which means there is no background radiation in the wastes...

We are talking about 150 years after the bombs dropped, society would be way more recovered than it is in fallout but still NCR and VC are pretty much modern cities. That they wouldn't have banking and trade systems this long after is unthinkable, people can recover from a lot in 3 generations.

After the war society was broken into many small societies, which were more interested with surviving in harsh environment than in opening banks and shops. Do you remember that in the wastes trade system is still based on bartering goods?
As for Vault City and NCR... VC was made from GECK, you remember? Which means they had more resources than others, and they just wisely used the potential of the GECK. NCR (previously Shady Sands) citizens were smart and had brahmins, and that's why NCR is rather wealthy now and can afford to maintain its police.

That they wouldn't have banking and trade systems this long after is unthinkable, people can recover from a lot in 3 generations.

That's true, people can recover from a lot. But have you considered the fact that USA is no more in year 2238? Without central government people tend to care only for themselves. And this is what we see in the wasteland. There is some local communities (=towns, mainly), but even neighboring ones tend to fight each other (one of examples: VC and Gecko). Even if there is some kind of cooperation (for example: maintaining caravan routes between cities), it is forced rather by economics, not by humanitarism.
Banking system is already present in the Wasteland - FLC Company took care about that. And if it isn't present in 2241 (=Fallout 2), then perhaps it wasn't good enough to last for so long...?

It's like the wild west, all the towns that were filled with wanton murder and prostitution became normal cities and the wild people moved west until they couldn't act like that anywhere. That happened in the span of about 2 generations.

Yes, but you forget that happened in USA. In a country, which had money and people to keep society rather safe from bandits and the like. Wasteland does not have any organised military (or para-military) force besides guards in towns and some gangs or factions, which aren't interested in maintaining order in towns. Their interest lies mostly in killing people from other factions, not in keeping Wasteland a safe place to live...Even guards care only for their town...

FOnline IS quite realistic, believe me. If it has not enough realism for you, maybe you should consider living real life? In real world? Believe me (or not, that's your choice), real world is MUCH more cruel than Wasteland in FOnline...

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief

Thank god, the Fallout universe is nothing we can call reality.

I don't know what's the purpose of the first post in this thread. Should we add green trees and big cities with real time connection everywhere? Dude, I got news for you: The Fallout setting might be nothing for ya, eh.

Also check out the timeline. It's not we who have said that the world is still ruined after hundreds of years.

This thread was to address the comments asking for radiation everywhere and the banking suggestion. As for chrnobyl being an animal sanctuary, it is. Human life does a lot more damage than radiation to animal populations, there are animals thought to be extinct that are thriving in the ruins. As for hiroshima, yes it was destroyed but it's not radioactive and neither would the wasteland be. To be honest considering the alternate universe nature of radiation mutating things as per old sci-fi standards I don't see why its only effects are making you sick and weak.

To those who want realism:
Would you like travel on foot taking roughly as long as it would in reality?
Would you like to have to go to a skilled doctor in an adequately equipped medical facility after every fight you take damage in, and even after that carry permanent injuries?
Would you like to have to make a new character each time you die? Death is permanent in reality.
Would you like to have to eat, drink and sleep?

If your answer to any of the above is "No.", please don't complain about lack of realism.

Kharaam

• Spartan Pigrat

As for Charnobyl- you see it is a rather safe place now. You can even go on a trip there to sightsee the "dead city" of Pripyat. Chceck the Google Earth nh photos tourists made there. Of course you can't go inside some buildings, and about irradiated metal- after more than 20 years there is almost no metal in the Zone left. "Stalkers" have taken it away. Yes, scavenging was very active in Pripyat after the accident. Yes I agree this metal can be dangerous, but only if you chew on it or keep it near your body. Furthermore the dose of radiation you can get when staying near Chernobyl NPP is lesser than you get in a big city, after the same period of time.

@Zaberish. I study on Warsaw University and I have been recently taking part in a small scientific project about the "Fear of Chernobyl". We managed to prove and explore this what has already been proved- the effects of 1986 accident are very exxagarated. Why? 3 main answers- 1 Western media wanted to use this case to show people how it was in USSR. 2- the so called "chantrys/foundations"(i don't know the proper word) for the victims of Chernobyl still recieve big amounts of money, and the don't want to loose it. 3- pop culture used Chernobyl as an easy source, exploiting it and therefore only making "the fear" stronger.
What is the truth? Directly because of the accident died 32 man, yes many of the evacuated citizens of чэас suffered the hardships of refugees life, but there is nothing as "mutations" caused by radiation, there is no real evidence of "deformed fetuses", people in this area do not suffer from cancer more often than others! Most of the diseases detected among the Zone refugees are of a psychosomatic nature, therefore-no influence from the accident, fear only. This is the so called in science "eye-glass effect" (i don't know if this is a proper translation of the phrase)

and realism? S.P.E.C.IA.L. is not realistic, crafting is not realistic too, such are Lasers, Plasmas, Gauss Rifle, Pulse Rifle, 14mm Pistol, 233 Pistol, Stimpacks, Stealthboy, Psycho, Deathclaws, Aliens, Geckos and other mutated beasts... moreover 10 mm ammo is too widespread, 5mm used by the assault rifle and minigun?

I still don't care about realism in this game- If I did, I wouldn't play it. I think in FOnline it is more about fun, athmosphere and "Fallout" itself, than about "Realism"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:15:24 am by Kharaam »

Blubber we miss You!!!

JovankaB

I keep seeing complaints about realism by people who don't have any idea what a realistic scenario would be. First of all there would be nothing but trace background radiation this many years after the bombs fell. Chernobyl has become a wildlife refuge, hiroshima is a booming city, and this is in under 50 years. We are talking about 150 years after the bombs dropped, society would be way more recovered than it is in fallout but still NCR and VC are pretty much modern cities. That they wouldn't have banking and trade systems this long after is unthinkable, people can recover from a lot in 3 generations. It's like the wild west, all the towns that were filled with wanton murder and prostitution became normal cities and the wild people moved west until they couldn't act like that anywhere. That happened in the span of about 2 generations.

You forgot about the causes of the nuclear war in Fallout - it was fight over the last remaining resources on Earth. Without enough resources you can't have mass production, and without mass production you can't rebuild the world. I suppose that's why it will always look a bit like wild west, at least until some technological breakthrough. And stop with this radiation, there is no radiation in FOnline except a few places or items. Of course FOnline as a game is not realistic (and very good, it's MMO not wasteland simulator) but the game mechanics and scenario are two different things.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:05:05 am by JovankaB »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 24 queries.