"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 13, 2024, 11:59:14 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: thieves overpowered  (Read 5719 times)

Re: thieves overpowered
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »

Player vs. player stealing system makes from your char passive victim and from players dumb pacifists.

So simply: why not allow players to attack and kill thiefs, even they succesfully steal or not items from you.

Variant 1) thief is unsuccesfull => he is killed by guards, lost his reputation
 Variant 2) thief is succesfull => guards are passive, he lost his reputation and player (victim) is able to attack him and kill him without any penalty (guard attacks, reputation losts,...)
 Variant 3) thief only pretends stealing => 3a) "victim" recognize it and do nothing (simple inventory check)
                                                         3b) "victim" dont recognize it and attack thief => is killed by guards.

1. Only in place for npc, should also be in place for player victims.
2. Succesful stealing shouldn't result in a reputation loss. His victim should be able to kill him, however guards or other players might loot.
3. Already in place.

What might also be useful and has been suggested before too, is to keep unprotective state after death when losing protection. This could be a fixed amount of real-time or could be based on reputation with the town's faction(s).

There are already thieves with descent sneak skill.
Main problem I see with thieves is that the skill gets useful at a low level. 130 is enough to be successful, although more is better as it lowers the risk of failing when stealing several items 1 after another.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:51:51 pm by HertogJan »
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 10:25:52 pm »

Stealing mechanics where made for a single player game, they have absolutly no place here, its just a waste of time.

Only noobs will be stolen from... or npcs, serioulsy, until we come up with better stealing mechanics it should be turned off.

TKs-KaBoom

• The Usual Suspect (according to Surf)
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »

The only people that think thieves are OP are trucks still frequenting NCR.  You hang around NCR you truly deserve everything you get there.
It's all really about suppression of dissension, consensus through censorship.  Whether through extermination of those who have different or conflicting viewpoints or subtle spin of available media.  If there is only one opinion left, it must be right, right?
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 11:17:07 pm »

Succesful steal makes the thief unguarded and ready to be shot by the stolen victim?
Okay, but only if you disable stealing animation.
Then this victim should get a message, something like "You noticed that something is missing in your inventory", and he has the chance to recognize the thief and shot him - if he's alone then the target is obvious, if the place is crowded it will be harder. So, more realism, more fun, and no abuse!
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 06:16:32 am »

The only people that think thieves are OP are trucks still frequenting NCR.  You hang around NCR you truly deserve everything you get there.

So you have to avoid the so called most powerful city in the wastes that's your only option.  In a multiplayer game where you should be encouraged to at least socialize in one place or another you should avoid the most centrally located one, or you deserve to be trolled and abused?  Wow good game planning. 

The truth is the system was not designed for multiplayer stealing, and it was shoehorned into it.  It's one of the few features wipe after wipe that has barely changed, and ironically it's the most exploited.  Stealing does not just happen in NCR, it happens in every guarded town.  I know the people that exploit this for their own Lulz and profit will cringe at the idea of making the game more playable for people.  But the Wasteland is Harsh.  ;D
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 04:07:53 pm »

here's a idea: the trading house, bulletproof glass etc and costs 350 caps per person to use.
so two peopl go in and have to pay 350 caps each. (maybe more?)

IF they both go in the go to a small 'instance' (location) it's called i believe. the players are seperated by a bullitproff window but they can trade for 2-3 mins

the thieves will be mad at this but it might just make things more fun for most people.

Nice_Boat

• I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 04:19:32 pm »

Nerf everything, put more cooldowns, final destination - no fun allowed.

Christ, every other game when a dude thinks something is OP he starts doing it. Then most of the time he learns that shit he thought was OP is not really OP and requires some skill/effort and stops doing it without making a fuss. But here's the kicker - it doesn't happen here. Because on 2238, everytime a bitch (because I don't really know how to call such people in a polite way) gets slapped, he doesn't reconsider his play - he runs to the forums and posts a shitty "nerf this evil thing that pwned me" suggestion. And the suggestion gets implemented. And we have 100 people online on average and we used to have 600.

Just make it stop. Actually, I think using the words "nerf" and "overpowered" in this context should result in a forum permaban. Life would be easier, the boards would suck less and the game wouldn't deteriorate, or at least not that fast.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:21:53 pm by Nice_Boat »
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »

add checking for unprotected people from all distances ;)
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 08:37:51 pm »

people will always complain the real question is, why devs are listening to stupid ideas. They dont know whats good and bad since they dont play the game they creat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnf6eia8M2k
FO by sadists for sadomasochists
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 10:09:04 pm »

Always you can go to Vc, here you can't meet many Thief
TBH - The Black Hearts...
Future of wasteland
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:42 pm »

Nerf everything, put more cooldowns, final destination - no fun allowed.

Christ, every other game when a dude thinks something is OP he starts doing it. Then most of the time he learns that shit he thought was OP is not really OP and requires some skill/effort and stops doing it without making a fuss. But here's the kicker - it doesn't happen here. Because on 2238, everytime a bitch (because I don't really know how to call such people in a polite way) gets slapped, he doesn't reconsider his play - he runs to the forums and posts a shitty "nerf this evil thing that pwned me" suggestion. And the suggestion gets implemented. And we have 100 people online on average and we used to have 600.

Just make it stop. Actually, I think using the words "nerf" and "overpowered" in this context should result in a forum permaban. Life would be easier, the boards would suck less and the game wouldn't deteriorate, or at least not that fast.

Careful there, sounds like you're raging.  We get a server population drop NOT because someone imposed a 'nerf' but because so many things are allowed when it comes to the abuse of players.  So you should just file that away.  The idea of reworking a very POORLY implemented system in a game is NOT a nerf, it's well a rework.  Stealing was never intended for multiplayer as pretty much everything else in this game.  That's why in the single player versions there were options to get around each of the issues FOnline has that destroy game play.  ["You go into Den kid steals, A. Blow kid away kill town be Childkiller get stuff back.  B. Go to ringleader see stuff in his inventory blow him away get stuff back.  C. Everything in option (B) except buy stuff back.  D. Everything in option (C) except steal money back after buying stuff back.  E. Reload game from previous save point."]  These aren't options in FOnline, even if you manage to kill the thief it's 80+% likely you won't be able to loot all your stuff back before 2 other people and a guard clean the corpse.  And that's only if the thief failed, if he didn't well F&% you, there goes a few mins (hours) of work and caps, Thanks keep playing.  Don't even bother to think about the players just starting out who don't know about thieves.  We'll just f%# them over til they learn or leave, cause well things are harsh and you're scared of change.

Also to the post about VC, I've had stuff stolen in every town including VC, the best thing about VC was that people could shop shoot you a whole lot more after joining the VC faction and were 'Idolized' this session I just don't go there at all. 

The post about holding important items in your hands, not a bad idea if you're only carrying 2 items.  That's however a bit unreasonable for someone bringing in a load of crap they've scavved for awhile to get rid of, and not taking into account any item they may purchase, which can 'magically' vanish before you've even finished your trade.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:57:25 pm by Trokanis »
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

Bego

• Kill the men, rape the women, eat the children!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 11:57:22 am »

Dude, you're like the biggest bitch EVER. Is there any feature in the game that you actually haven't complained about?
SECTION 8
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2012, 01:17:14 pm »

Only noobs will be stolen from... or npcs, serioulsy

No need to disable that skill , if only you pay attention it's easy to avoid them and make sure you can't be stolen from. I still remember when i started to play , i usually didn't have anything while i was browsing vendors only when i decided to buy something i took precisely how much i need , keep moving , paying attention , entering different spawn points of the city if possible , staying out of sight from other players as much as possible. Need to deal with that , i did and had no intention to go on forums to whine about it , sure first time when i was stolen from was frustrating ... but i just thought what i could do about it and from that point on , never lost a single item to thieves.

Use brains once in a while , very handy tool. Less whining too.

I'm reading this topic and mother of god ... so much garbage here.

everytime a bitch (because I don't really know how to call such people in a polite way) gets slapped, he doesn't reconsider his play - he runs to the forums and posts a shitty "nerf this evil thing that pwned me" suggestion.

Exactly the game shouldn't adapt to players , quite the opposite :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:22:31 pm by T-888 »

Kombajn

• Ciśnij pompki, paziu.
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »

Careful there, sounds like you're raging.  We get a server population drop NOT because someone imposed a 'nerf' but because so many things are allowed when it comes to the abuse of players.  So you should just file that away.  The idea of reworking a very POORLY implemented system in a game is NOT a nerf, it's well a rework.  Stealing was never intended for multiplayer as pretty much everything else in this game.  That's why in the single player versions there were options to get around each of the issues FOnline has that destroy game play.  ["You go into Den kid steals, A. Blow kid away kill town be Childkiller get stuff back.  B. Go to ringleader see stuff in his inventory blow him away get stuff back.  C. Everything in option (B) except buy stuff back.  D. Everything in option (C) except steal money back after buying stuff back.  E. Reload game from previous save point."]  These aren't options in FOnline, even if you manage to kill the thief it's 80+% likely you won't be able to loot all your stuff back before 2 other people and a guard clean the corpse.  And that's only if the thief failed, if he didn't well F&% you, there goes a few mins (hours) of work and caps, Thanks keep playing.  Don't even bother to think about the players just starting out who don't know about thieves.  We'll just f%# them over til they learn or leave, cause well things are harsh and you're scared of change.

Also to the post about VC, I've had stuff stolen in every town including VC, the best thing about VC was that people could shop shoot you a whole lot more after joining the VC faction and were 'Idolized' this session I just don't go there at all. 

The post about holding important items in your hands, not a bad idea if you're only carrying 2 items.  That's however a bit unreasonable for someone bringing in a load of crap they've scavved for awhile to get rid of, and not taking into account any item they may purchase, which can 'magically' vanish before you've even finished your trade.

1. Install some new interface with tranpsarents windows.
2. Increase your reflex, because it seems that you'are to slow with closing opened windows and running away from thief. Or maybe you are standing there AFk? o.0
3. Stop whining, because it's boring. You wrote that you had your stuff stolen in almost every city...I wouldnt say that loud, because now I know that you don't learng anything new from previous actions.
Currently retired.

Swarm

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 09:05:30 am »

OMFG... we don't need to remove steal or fix anything with it. It is part of the game learn to avoid it. You see some nice little cute girl wiggling her arms near your character, run away in any direction it closes the steal menu really fast. Don't trade in NCR end of story.

Theifing from other players is part of the game and a unique feature of this game just learn to deal with it, it is not all that easy to theif stuff unless you stand there stupidly and let them take your stuff.

I've gotten my trade stolen when I was noob by a theif did I cry about on the forum? Was I mad yes did I feel the need to remove it from the game no.

I think theifing from players is a very cool feature there is no other game which allows a player to do this. There is nothing wrong with this feature if a player wants to make a theif to steal stuff from people in town there is that freedom to do so. You have the same ability to make the same type of character it is not OP it does not need to be removed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:21:18 pm by Swarm »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 25 queries.