"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • June 07, 2024, 02:07:25 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: thieves overpowered  (Read 5841 times)

JovankaB

Re: thieves overpowered
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:05 pm »

so how about you just TAG THAT THIEF WITH RED?

you tag him, you see a red name coming to you, you start running. is it that hard?

Actually it's kinda hard to trade and run at the same time.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »

Player vs. player stealing system makes from your char passive victim and from players dumb pacifists.

So simply: why not allow players to attack and kill thiefs, even they succesfully steal or not items from you.

Variant 1) thief is unsuccesfull => he is killed by guards, lost his reputation
 Variant 2) thief is succesfull => guards are passive, he lost his reputation and player (victim) is able to attack him and kill him without any penalty (guard attacks, reputation losts,...)
 Variant 3) thief only pretends stealing => 3a) "victim" recognize it and do nothing (simple inventory check)
                                                         3b) "victim" dont recognize it and attack thief => is killed by guards.

My idea gives players ability to protect themselfs agaisnt thiefs, but also thiefs are still able to steal, but they will need more human skill to do it, instead of only rely on steal skill of their chars. Also they can bluff .. pretend they are stealing => it gives them time, because victim needs to check their inventories to recognize real theft from pretending.

I understand that you can admit that basic players could be provoked to revenge and they could die, but it would at least give them chance to protect their possesion.
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:25 pm »

Actually it's kinda hard to trade and run at the same time.
You just press ESC, ESC then start running.  Takes a half second.

Ganado

• Dishonest Abe
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »

You just press ESC, ESC then start running.  Takes a half second.
The point was it still prevents you from trading and is a nuisance. [Repeats first page].
Error while opening cfg file: spawnnpc.cfg
Shit! Damn admins! Always ruining my fun! I guess I'll talk to them. WITH MY FISTS!!!! No seriously, I will write them a nice email or make a thread on the forums or something. Thanks!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:25 am »

Grieving Wastelander

"Boo boo bee boo, I wasn't paying attention and someone stole my pants boo boo bee boo"
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 12:13:00 am »

Thieves are just another sort of character which adds to the richness this game offers. Tag them red, you'll know he's someone to kill or avoid.

I like the suggestion of having the option for a specific "thief" tag [edit: as suggested by blahblah]. It could add some points to your perception roll (exceeding 10) when the marked thief tries to steal from you.
It would change the way thieves will work. It won't be smart for a thief to try to steal from everyone who enters a town, as he'll be marked when someone suspects him.
Also, it would prevent the (amazingly tedious) thieves following you around and trying to steal time and time again.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:31:24 am by Enzotainment »

Michaelh139

• Goin for 900,000...
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 02:38:23 am »

Player vs. player stealing system makes from your char passive victim and from players dumb pacifists.

So simply: why not allow players to attack and kill thiefs, even they succesfully steal or not items from you.

Variant 2) thief is succesfull => guards are passive, he lost his reputation and player (victim) is able to attack him and kill him without any penalty (guard attacks, reputation losts,...)
 Variant 3) thief only pretends stealing => 3a) "victim" recognize it and do nothing (simple inventory check)

My idea gives players ability to protect themselfs agaisnt thiefs, but also thiefs are still able to steal, but they will need more human skill to do it, instead of only rely on steal skill of their chars. Also they can bluff .. pretend they are stealing => it gives them time, because victim needs to check their inventories to recognize real theft from pretending.

I understand that you can admit that basic players could be provoked to revenge and they could die, but it would at least give them chance to protect their possesion.
This.
This.
This.
Success but without anyone telling you who stole would be great.  But failing would cause the guards to kill you.  Epic.  Guards actually acting like guards!!!  Holy cat in the hat! :D

And to all those waving their shit in the air about how this is just "rage-blah-blah you noob you".

I could bother to explain how stupid and shitty it is, but I know it won't make a difference.  So.

Mmmmmm- Go fuck yourselves.  ;)
Whenever I say something, imagine \"In my opinion"/ being in the front of every sentence.

Ox-Skull

• TRH
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 03:29:32 am »

u tell em michaelh, thieveing is way to easy,
member when i was trading at hub with bout 10 players and my caravan got looted, metal armor lots of guns ammo drugs all gone in blink of an eye and dumb fuck mercs just stand there an watch.

sneak should be requried as i said long time ago, would cause thieves to hav to scope someone and catch them when not many NPC or players around.
Ranger of the Wastes. The Wastes still needs civilised people.

Hects Hakal

• The Sarmatians
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 04:33:43 am »

Option 3c- you check your inventory and before you do so the theif runs away

avv

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 07:26:12 am »

Sounds good. If he steals, I burst him. If he bluffs, I burst him with my alt.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 10:33:20 am »

I think one could run 230+hp thieves with toughness if they become shot too much, adding need for expensive weapons to kill them.
There are no thief perks anymore so 2x tough and 3x lifegivers are okay to go.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Andr3aZ

• Endless forum lurker
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:21 am »

Biggest problem with steal skill in my opinion is it leaves the victim in a bad position if he spots the thief stealing but the steal-roll was successful. Normaly his char wouldn't be aware of all that at all. Attacking the thief after he successfully stolen items would be hardcore metagaming. Still the victim is pissed that one took his item and he can't do shit about it.

My Suggestion (Also I think this is/was already ingame, slighty modified):
Steal success, no guard spotted it: Thief is protected by guards, no rep drop.
Steal fail, no guard spotted it: Thief is protected by guards, rep drop.
Steal fail/success, guard spotted it: Guards shoot thief OR Guards yell about the thievery with the Thiefs name - Thief is not protected and everyone knows it (who's been at NCR knows what happens then) + hard rep drop.
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »

so how about you just TAG THAT THIEF WITH RED?

you tag him, you see a red name coming to you, you start running. is it that hard?
Thief should have to run from you, not you from him!
It's fun when thief chase you through NCR and you stop in front of guard. Thief steal from you and guard not see this. If you kick thief you are not protected and thief can kill you. It's stupid.
I'm watching you .

DanteAligheri

• Sometimes I don't finish all my sandwich.
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 11:03:37 am »

sneak should be requried as i said long time ago, would cause thieves to hav to scope someone and catch them when not many NPC or players around.

This.
But I think in a sense that needs a GOOD sneak skill. Like, if you sneak in a town and guards see you, they'll let you know. Because you're acting suspicious. Just a simple,"I see you." So then, if there was a thief that was THE SHIT, he could sneak in and out of a town without being seen by anyone, and being in sneak mode is the only way you could actually activate your steal skill. So he slips in, grabs some loot from innocent bystanders, then leaves and no one even knows. Of course there's always a chance to fail, in which case you're notified like usual and you can go about dealing with it how you see fit.

My other idea is PLAYER GUARDS, but I already feel like that would be hated by everyone even as just a suggestion. Unless it where made with the most strict rules ever. It's not like they would let a bunch of dumbasses be the guards, and I mean only a few anyway. NPC guards are okay, I just feel like they need more I in AI. Like a person. Or some people. Hell it would open up the game a bit more. Then I'm just going on and on in my head though. I just thought of it as a profession or something, then I thought of a merchant profession because I started thinking about how cool it would be for players to be integrated into towns more, making everything feel a bit more "alive." Now just rambling. Anyway, I don't even think this is a very good idea at all, some food for thought. If it were done I would hope the devs would nail it and everything would work. I just don't think it would.

There's got to be something we can do to make thieves a bit less tedious like using alts. I've never, ever, made an alt. I never will. It's just a little...silly? To have to login to a different char, deal with some ass-cunt, then log back in and go about your day. Until there's another...
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 12:18:10 pm »

HAND SLOTS.
Are usually safe from thieves, so i put valuable things in them while i browse the vendor' inventory for caps, call it a recon.

Then, i put 1 bottlecap or one ammo piece of sort i wanna purchase in one of my active slots. I offer the vendor a item and after trade, the whole amount of caps wander in my active slot. This is how i deal with this situation, HOWEVER:

Items in active slots cannot be put in trade menu. You can't offer a item you hold firmly in your hands, but why? You have two slots for items and your caps.

And inb4 thief players scream in anguish about nerfing thieves by un-pickable players - if players want to sell mutiple things at once, they'll need their inventories with items inside.
Wasteland is a tricky business.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 24 queries.