"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 02, 2024, 11:42:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone ever had this thought...?  (Read 1759 times)

Has anyone ever had this thought...?
« on: February 14, 2012, 12:37:44 am »

I've always wondered what a single player version of the current FOnline2238 game would be like. I think I would actually REALLY love it, it would be like Fallout 2 again, except with many new awesome features! Perhaps a private server mode, where you can host, and invite 2-3 friends to play with you, and roam the wastelands together! It would definitely be more enjoyable for small groups that don't want to make 30k alts. You can actually make 1-2 characters that are adapt at being 'Jack of all trades' characters. Just tag things like Repair - Weapon Skill - Outdoorsman/Science/Speech/Barter/First Aid. No more 10 PE 10 End Stonewall BG double burster drug addicted min/maxed builds.

Edit: I'm not complaining about current version, I love it and still play it, I've just always had this idea and would really like to see it someday come to fruition, considering I like PvE considerably more than PvP, although I do enjoy occasionally enjoy sniping some people out, or sneak attacking some roaming PK'ers with traps. :P
Re: Has anyone ever had this thought...?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:40:06 am »

I've thought about it but then I thought it would also need the quests from fallout 1 & 2 to make it enjoyable.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:44:55 am »

Even without the Fallout 2 quests, with a little bit of gameplay tweaking, and making it easier to get companions/mercenaries, you could still have a lot of fun. I would actually make a character with decent of all stats, not just instantly dump luck and charisma to 1. :P
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:42 am »

Indeed, for most players the Fonline experience is destroyed by other players, so yes it would be awesome (for many) to play on a small private server among friendly players only.

If such a server exist, please let me know.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:09:41 am »

Hmm, maybe the devs would be awesome enough to make this one day? It's a possibility. :x

If anyone knows the devs or mods, and you can get them to see this, it would be pretty awesome if they would consider doing it :D

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

It's funny how not-so-long ago (5 years or w/e) everyone thought MMOs are going to be future.
And now so much games faced problems with massive playing that people wanted back their old co-op and competitive multiplayer modes.

I think this has something to do with "You are anonymous and untouchable on internets".
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

avv

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:43:11 am »

You don't want it.

The game starts from wipe, but somehow all npc players already have best stuff and lots of top level chars.
Shops are always empty of good stuff because barter alt npcs buy everything immediately.
But it doesn't matter because safe towns are full of burstlooters and thieves. You simply can't enter them without instantly dying.
Resources are always depleted.
In encounters you constantly get jumped by pks.
You will constantly get forced merc trap encounters.
Unsafe towns and locations are inaccessible due to gridcampers.
All npcs speak language you don't understand or is simply talking trash, trolling or ignoring you.
Everyone cheats but if you do, you get banned.
Gms abuse only you all the time but when you do +requesthelp there's no one there.
Random bugs appear all the time, server lags, crashes and rollbacks randomly.
You must donate real money every month to the devs. Since npcs don't donate, you have to pay it all.

There would be 3 sections of the game: ingame, irc and forum. You must master each to win the game.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:59 am »

It's funny how not-so-long ago (5 years or w/e) everyone thought MMOs are going to be future.
And now so much games faced problems with massive playing that people wanted back their old co-op and competitive multiplayer modes.

I think this has something to do with "You are anonymous and untouchable on internets".

Thats not true. It doesnt stand for MOST games. MMO gives great amount of fun and collaboration. Just not in this game... because here there is no accountability.

I used to play WoW and enjoyed both the community and the game. I am playing SWTOR and I have fun with friends I met online and friends from real life that also play.

Lastly I play cRPG a mod of Mount and Blade that is much like FOnline in the sense that its run by a few guys that decided to try something out and make their own version of the game online. And its awesome...

On the other hand THERE the Admins/GMs are incredibly harsh and forbidding. You step out of line, temporary ban of all your characters. You step out of line a second time? Perma Ban and to be unbanned you have to WRITE AN ESSAY that convinces the community enough to vote you back inside. You cheat/hack/abuse a feature (or even trick someone in an out of game trade about in game goods?) you are perma banned with no chance for restitution.

The community there is still racist, homophobic and all that but at least its much more ordered. The learning curve is HARD but rewarding! Its even funny there when someone complaints that "hey I bought Mount and Blade to play cRPG and you banned me! Why? I cant play now, I wasted $15, you cant do this" and the devs there reply "this is our mod, we do what we want, there are 1000 people that play by the rules, you dont like it... tough luck..." and thats that.

Here... there is abuse (vocal) from GMs and from Players, new players are berated for being idiots that cant figure it out and the community approves of hacking/out of character attacks etc. When someone (even as horrid as Elvis) says he was hacked again and asks for action the reply from the High Powers is 'well, its too difficult to check, we wont bother, be more careful next time'.

So yea... MMO is the future (as is evident from every major gaming producer trying to get into the game though often failing) its just that a certain degree of care is required from those that make the MMO to protect the community that supports them and appreciates them by actually playing/testing/buying the game.

PS>

I still like and play this game... its just that there is SOOOOOO much more that it could be that it pains me the state that it is in...
Strength through unity,
unity through Faith.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 01:21:11 pm »

When someone (even as horrid as Elvis) says he was hacked again and asks for action the reply from the High Powers is 'well, its too difficult to check, we wont bother, be more careful next time'.

This isn't the reply he got.

The first (few) times he did it, we looked into it. I think I'm correct in saying he shared passwords, but maybe I'm misremembering it.

Then he starting sending messages threatening that he would report us to the FBI ... at that point he went from a conearned player to a tin foil hat wearing troll.

Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »

Yep, youre right. But not because, overseers are crafully looking into wastes, but because that example was bad.
The truth is, you have almost 0 chance to get help, while you need it.

Months of reports, about various abuses (such as TB merc traps for example) brings up nothing, but repeated 'wasteland is harsh' phrase...
On the other hand, this give you special feeling, that youre nothing in this game, and considering this is Fallout universe, its even good thing.

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

Sure, we have a few devs who can give a few hours a week. Then we have a handful of GMs who can give a few hours a week.

Lets assume we want to have some progress and that all developer time should be spent actually making the game, not refereeing between players and listening to endless complaints.

The GMs are then out there dealing with request helps, doing events, etc. In return they get endless abuse and little/no thanks at all.

Seems like you want a professional response which we will just never be capable of.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »

Solar tbh never ever a gm helped me. Oh sorry once my mercs get stuck inside a rock and im sure that i said thx. I dont even know how much stuff i lost b/c of their spying, and them being on other faction's teamspeak channels. They could have stopped wasting their time and quit being gms for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnf6eia8M2k
FO by sadists for sadomasochists

ToxiCAVE

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 04:16:48 pm »

i want be gm...;D
apa mk2 and vindicators in every town...free hypo and pulse rifles every week...pvp madnes...no guards in south towns...who isnt pvp will die...like russian in ww2

Gatling

• Violent Pacifist.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »

It takes a particular type of person to want to give of themselves yet expect nothing in return.
And now...
"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."- Rorschach
"It's what people know about themselves inside... that makes them afraid." -The Stranger
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 09:57:09 pm »

I feel like the conversation here has strayed from the purpose of this thread, Solar, can you please look into what I had posted originally? Is there any chance of this happening?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 25 queries.