"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • July 08, 2024, 01:58:10 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not sure if old but... (Fallout Legal Battle Ended)  (Read 2873 times)

Not sure if old but... (Fallout Legal Battle Ended)
« on: January 04, 2012, 08:34:44 am »

As the title states i'm not sure if this is old.
Did a glance and saw no topics about it, but who knows.

Anyways, I was wondering, less then 48 hours ago the "Great Legal Battle" between Bethesda and Interplay over certain aspects of the Fallout Universe that has been dragging on for years as they say, has finally come to an end.

The battle centered around the rights to a Fallout MMO, and since it was settled, means there could be a chance one would be made.

In the event an actual Fallout MMO was to be made, what would that mean for FOnline 2238?
I know some companies get, picky about these things.
(Wizet the company that made Maple Story cracked down on a lot of private servers and community made versions if I recall)

http://kotaku.com/5872535/the-great-fallout-legal-battle-is-over

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25887&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=75cedd3a64ec7598297d2c1c918c3dfe

Thoughts? o_o

And as I said, unsure if old.

LagMaster

• No. 1 Topic Starter
Re: Not sure if old but... (Fallout Legal Battle Ended)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:04:47 am »

Fallout Online will not beat FOnline, we got the original look, they will not use the original look
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 11:16:31 am »

And fallout online will be surely hello kitty. No full loot, no suicude bursts.....
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

JovankaB

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 11:48:28 am »

And fallout online will be surely hello kitty. No full loot, no suicude bursts.....

Without permadeath and 50% chance to die from some mutated desert parasite, FOnline is also hello kitty...

It is not harsh enough!

It's a shame in FOnline people use dual logs, proxy, alts and steal from events to make it easier for them...
...to make it more HELLO KITTY...
That's why I think most (if not all) organised PvP gangs are in fact hello kitty gangs.
They are happy about every exploit they find that makes FOnline less harsh for them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:09:29 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:10:03 pm »

but in other hand they make more harsh world for you so less hello kitty for you :)

JovankaB

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »

but in other hand they make more harsh world for you so less hello kitty for you :)

touché ;)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:24:29 pm »

Without permadeath and 50% chance to die from some mutated desert parasite, FOnline is also hello kitty...

It is not harsh enough!

It's a shame in FOnline people use dual logs, proxy, alts and steal from events to make it easier for them...
...to make it more HELLO KITTY...
That's why I think most (if not all) organised PvP gangs are in fact hello kitty gangs.
They are happy about every exploit they find that makes FOnline less harsh for them.

What about me, the proud member of a hello kitty gang, making my own gameplay more harsh by running out of ammo while shooting at you? Just PM me when and where. I prefer modoc, because your hello kitty respawn is so close that I'll be running out of ammo faster and thus you will ruin my hello kitty gameplay more efficiently

btw I can give you my own super stimpaks so it will be even faster, just don't waste my time and run all around
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:27:36 pm by Kilgore »

JovankaB

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:44 pm »

What about me, the proud member of a hello kitty gang, making my own gameplay more harsh by running out of ammo while shooting at you? Just PM me when and where. I prefer modoc, because your hello kitty respawn is so close that I'll be running out of ammo faster and thus you will ruin my hello kitty gameplay more efficiently

btw I can give you my own super stimpaks so it will be even faster, just don't waste my time and run all around

Maybe I will give you a chance to boost your ego and kill my new persona after wipe.

But you will have to do much better than come to Modoc with avanger and burst a character without combat skills.
No more Hello Kitty ;)

On topic: I'm no expert but I see 2 possible problems:

- I believe many graphics included are edited Fallout graphics, they are not made from scratch. This would be OK for a free mod of Fallout, but FOnline is not a mod. This would be very hard to fix and probably unacceptable for devs, but possible. Just replace all graphics with something Falloutish but slightly different style - only about 2 years of work for a team of dedicated people ;)

- It's a wild guess but perhaps using the same location, characters, storyline might break some franchise rights of Bethesda? You could change locations, names etc but this wouldn't be Fallout anymore and again, probably devs would perfer to simply close the project (would be a shame) but I might be wrong.

But I really doubt that Bethesda or Interplay will care as long as there isn't any real money in this.
Large number of players in other Fallout MMO could piss off Interplay so keep the numbers low ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:33:46 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »

2years of work? hahaha are you serious!!!?? from 16 months they cant make single wipe and you are talking about new engine ? heheheeh

JovankaB

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:38:35 pm »

No, I'm talking about graphics and a team of 3d / 2d people.
I know how much it can take but existing graphics could serve as "blueprints".
It's not a realistic scenario of course, just saying.

The engine is built from scratch and there is no problem here.

Maybe Lordus could say something about the legal aspects :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:53:23 pm by JovankaB »
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »

I'm going to assume the agreement reached involves interplay being allowed to create fallout online, most other things are up in the air though.  Would Bethesda give them money for fear of losing the fallout rights? (Well their lawyers did lose many many times lol maybe logical)  Or did interplay perhaps want it all over with and decide to agree to let Bethesda keep their rights to fallout/give them over permanently as long as they were allowed to do an mmo?  No matter what happens FOOL will probably be a disappointment.  Interplay deserved to have a respectable grave when Black Isle/Brian Fargo were no longer part of it.  Fargo may have made some mistakes but he also gave indie companies chances and some of them created excellent games (looking mostly at bioware since BG/BG2 are my favorite fantasy rpgs of all time)

In a perfect world Black Isle(Obsidian) Bioware(well at least "old bioware") and Brian Fargo would reunite to create a very nice MMO. Sadly we do not live in such a perfect world.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:47:40 pm »

Maybe I will give you a chance to boost your ego and kill my new persona after wipe.

But you will have to do much better than come to Modoc with avanger and burst a character without combat skills.
No more Hello Kitty ;)
I'm not going to play after wipe because I expect powerful jovanka to come back as a game master which I find extremely hello-kitty-styled.

In the event an actual Fallout MMO was to be made, what would that mean for FOnline 2238?
Probably nothing, except an average age of FOnline players getting higher a bit.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:21 pm »

I forgot to mention how Bethesda is the greatest troll in the world.

Bethesda: "You can make a Fallout MMO"
Interplay: "Okay"
Bethesda: "We said you can make an MMO called Fallout, not use the lore or anything else"

Reiniat

• Humanhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:53 am »

The fight has ended what means that to Fonline?
In my opinion: nothing. Its a simple thing.
- The new Fallout MMORPG (if it happens) will simply dont be a truly Fallout game, it will dissapoint most of the old fans, and pseudo-fans of the latest games will be the only ones interested.
- Interplay is no longer the creator of Fallout, all the original devs have gone and are making other projects.
- Both Bethesda and Interplay wont care about Fonline since it doesnt represent any treath; it doesnt win money, doesnt attrack enough people, etc.

Plus that, it will be surely a micropayment game, you want the best Minigun? buy it with the expansion pack. Do you want to discover a new awesome land never seen before in the fallout universe? buy the expansion pack. i puke in that pilosophy of "money makes you strong" it sucks and they can shovel it trough their poor asses.

NOW, maybe there will be a Fallout MMO developed by Bethesda, note that ZeniMax media had oppened almost a year ago "ZenimaxOnlineStudios":
http://www.zenimaxonline.com/
Nobody knows what ar they doing in there....but its not good for Fallout.

OFF TOPIC: Looks like Kilgore got really pissed off by Jovanka commentary  ;D
Current char: Oblivion, Oceansoul, Black Tears

Sorry for my bad english
Quote from: Santa Anna
Any action or inaction in a position of power will always grant you enemies

gr1m055

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:35:44 am »

Yeah this is really old news.

I think fallout fans, such as I are already used to being disappointing by the lack of lore and changes to the fallout series after fallout3 came out.

But yes a marketed, for profit MMO well not be like fonline2238. It well probably have the typical store your stuff in a stash where other players can't access no bases etc. Yes all these games now are all now hello kitty after playing all the fonline servers.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:37:43 am by gr1m055 »
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 33 queries.