"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 09, 2024, 01:51:45 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Server Numbers  (Read 2662 times)

gr1m055

Server Numbers
« on: December 26, 2011, 02:29:42 am »

I created this thread to continue a discussion that came up in another thread. And might be interesting discussion for those who want to join in.

Gr1m, i don't disagree with you on the behavior issues in online games. But what i am saying is, no matter how many players don't quit due to the bad behavior of others, there are a bunch who do quit for that reason. It's not possible to know how many, nor the proportions. Such info is not in a database. It's not on a spreadsheet. We cannot run a SQL query on it. It's simply a matter of opinion based [hopefully] on our own observations and experiences.

So my opinion is...if we could look at a graph that shows how the player base has gradually grown here over time, we'd see it is in fact increasing. However, if half of the people who quit were still playing, the numbers might be 10 times higher. Maybe only 5 times, but maybe 20. We don't know. I base this on what i have witnessed thus far since August. Four months seems like a fair sample of time to me. I'm not saying half the people who quit quit due to being PK'd, but some percentage quit over it. If we had those back, we might have 6000 people waiting for wipe instead of only ~600. As scary as that may seem, it would be a heck of a lot more donation money, and donations is apparently how this thing is running.

So i'm back to a simple point: we should be helping new players get a decent foothold on the game rather than murdering them with little-to-no discretion. Because murdering them with little-to-no discretion drives some of them away [and they take their donation money with them - there goes our next new server.]
I do not disagree with helping people in the game. I help players time to time, I sometimes well hand out a weapon to a noob starting out, I well help them get a tent etc. I'm not going to argue pk vs anti-pk. But I well say this many people quit for various reasons and you are right there's no such thing as a rage quit calculator ;D nor would it be possible. People quit for many different reason and people who have quit have their own personal reasons. It isn't ALL the result of Pkers maybe it is with some. I know a lot of people quit because they got sick of losing PvP battles, and some people who are not involved in PvP get bored or they rage quit because of the games difficulty.

I well say this myself as a PKer, When I go out and PK people I am not doing it to ruin the game or to try to block people from donating, I do it for fun and for lolz. There is a lot of idiotic things people do in this game because they find it funny to annoy other players. And anti-pk factions make people quit also because people get sick of them stomping them in the majority of PvP battles which aren't pk or anti-pk related. I am not saying that you're faction does this as being anti-pk. And I am not saying all anti-pkers cause this.

Well this is what happened in august and why it declined. Many of the seasoned players assumed that the wipe was going to be at the end of august because that's when the last season was wiped for this season. Also you cannot assume these numbers as accurate there are people, even though its against the rules, dual log. Speaking of dual logging there was a massive ban hammer on dual loggers in September (forget the exact month), I was one of them. And when these types of things happen people get more scared and do not take the risk of dual logging.

Right now is going to be a very dead time for the server because there is no point in trying to get further when the server is going to be wiped. The server is going to be wiped in the next couple of months or maybe even sooner than that once they balance out the game. This wipe is taking longer than the last one because they are changing a lot of things and making the game with a new and interesting style.

The wipe is going to bring back a lot of players, and it might draw away some people that don't like the new changes.

From my understanding server donations was so they can pay the monthly bill to the server farm to keep the game going. And I appreciate all those who donate to help keep the game going that I have the most fun playing. Donating is a personal matter and a personal decision. Some people may not have the financial status to donate, some players are kids who go to the equivalent of high school in our country.

I for example I don't have a job, you live in my country you know whats going on this country. I would donate to the server if I could but I can't find work and I'm somewhat of a PKer. I'm one of those college grads you hear about on the news.

There is nothing wrong with being anti-pk, and nothing wrong with advocating for server donations. I just do not agree putting the two together and its entirely PKers that make people not want to donate and quit the game. PK and Anti-pk is a roleplay thing, some people like to role play as somebody trying to save the wastelands, some like to roleplay a murdering thieving criminal. Fallout gave us that choice in the matter. Some don't role play at all and get annoyed by Pkers and hate them and others like to go around annoying other players that's generally what anti-pk and pk is about.

I mean just for argument sakes if you drive away the PKers that draws aways numbers also. As stupid and immoral as it seems people have fun doing this kind of stuff also.

If anything its game mechanics that cause the things that go on this game that seem destructive, Like town trolls and thieves. And its game mechanics that make people quit like dying and losing your items which is really harsh when you start out without a tent, which is why I think factions who help noobs is a good thing and I do not disagree that it keeps players around.

I started back in may or June around that time, the server had a lot of players then. August it died out because kids had to go back to school and people anticipated the wipe to be around this time and didn't want to progress further because a wipe could be at any time.

If anything the up coming wipe well bring back numbers and it well help with donations because majority of people been wanting a new session for a while. It all boils down to "wipe" this is the main reason the drop in players. And those numbers well come back because everybody well be excited to play the new season and start fresh.

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
Re: Server Numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:53:03 am »

...and I can say, it's not worth doing. It's mostly full of obvious things and stuff already said and discussed about.

This is for example a reason not to spend time reading:

From my understanding server donations was so they can pay the monthly bill to the server farm to keep the game going

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ</a>
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:58:52 am by Eternauta »
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:05:30 am »

Why do people quit fonline?

Thats pure speculation without any hard data which are pretty much unobtainable. But for me. I started playing because i was PKed. People who dont like open pvp have many much better MMOs around (Even postapocalypticaly themed). They wont continue playing fonline because everyone will be nice at them, because compared to other MMOS, fonline is crap. But fonline have open and fast PvP which is very rare these days.

I also quitted playing actively because there simply were not enough people on server. When comunity shattered to many servers (Requiem etc...) there were not enough players to keep constant pvp in Reno or to organize epic TC battles and more people (experienced long term players which participated in many seasons of fonline) started leaving because of boredom. (Waiting two hours for one PK or bluesuit to show up? I am rather going to play hello kitty.)

Fonline might be fun and i might return to playing (hopefully with the whole gang) when toptime population rises at least above 400ppl. With less 2238 is for me too empty and lifeless wasteland. Works simillary at other online games. When population is too low everybody leaves soon. When population and pvp waiting is reasonable population stays stable.
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 03:06:11 am »

Just to clarify: i'm not in an APK faction. Also i said not everyone who quits, quits due to PK stuff. I said some do. Those are the only people about whom i am speaking.

The reasons why people quit is certainly not "pure speculation" with no hard facts. We have some facts. We have some data. It's just not conveniently housed in a database. I've known people who joined and quit and i know their reasons. So yes, we have some real data. Some of them quit due to the extreme lack of discretion of real PKs suppressing them from getting a decent start. Not all off them - just some of them.

I emphasize "real" above because we're not all in agreement here as to the proper definition of "PK". Some of us are not using "PK" the same as others.

But! If Etern is right, then this conv is pointless. That is i mean, if the financial situation of this project is strong, then none of this matters i guess. My impression though, when devs beg for month-to-month money, is that the financial situation is not good. At some point any project like this requires "a new server". I'm thinking in advance of that time; "let's build the player base up so it's not an issue" is why i comment on this topic at all.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 03:16:04 am by Marko »
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 04:56:04 am »

I tend to ragequit due to user interface  ::), fact that TB and RT are different games  ::), some other silly stuff (just to name a few: 1 AG guy runs as fast as 10 AG guy in RT; being more than 10 minutes in encounter makes you unencounterable etc...).  ::)
...I'm actually starting to  write my own thing... from scratch... ::)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 06:01:56 am »

Just to clarify: i'm not in an APK faction. Also i said not everyone who quits, quits due to PK stuff. I said some do. Those are the only people about whom i am speaking.

The reasons why people quit is certainly not "pure speculation" with no hard facts. We have some facts. We have some data. It's just not conveniently housed in a database. I've known people who joined and quit and i know their reasons. So yes, we have some real data. Some of them quit due to the extreme lack of discretion of real PKs suppressing them from getting a decent start. Not all off them - just some of them.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
Iguana Pete's sister

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 06:14:07 am »

You spelled Troll_Drift wrong.  :P
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 07:34:25 am »

Why do people quit fonline?
- because of too much time required to get basic stuff and even more time to get better stuff, that allows to compete with other people
- because of crawling over the world instead of travelling - it's fixed at last, but during over a year with "fine as it is" speed some people left only because of that
- because of random PK/APK/AAAAAAPK/WhateverPK
- because for not-PvP-oriented players (or non-apes, to keep things short) there is not much to do
- because it's a bit disappointed when you expect online RPG and you get online 2D shooter
- because of Wasteland that is harsh

All of these were gathered through year and a half of our Orphanage existing. Kinda sad, isn't it?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:40:16 am by Wichura »
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:59:29 am »

It's not all that harsh with a low server population.  If the server grew to having 400 or 500 online at a time I think it would become a real pain to do anything. I'd imagine all the HQ mining places would be almost permanently camped by PvP apes making mining almost impossible.  At which point losing a BA or tier 3 weapon would actually suck quite a bit instead of "meh that sets me back an hour or two"

gr1m055

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 11:21:19 am »

...and I can say, it's not worth doing. It's mostly full of obvious things and stuff already said and discussed about.

Yes I know I'm beating a dead horse. The main purpose of this thread was to move a discussion out of another so it wouldn't be hijacked and go off topic. It was for forum etiquette reasons why I started this topic. And I well get my last words in on this discussion, there is no sample surveys or any math involved. So conclusions are based on rumor, or by what you hear from talking to other players. For the most part from what I hear from players I play with is that are waiting for wipe. My logical conclusion is Marko probably knows people who quit because of Pkers, and I know people quit because they get sick of losing fights or they are waiting for wipe. I can't think of the right term its all based on rumor or by ear nothing scientifically polled.

I emphasize "real" above because we're not all in agreement here as to the proper definition of "PK". Some of us are not using "PK" the same as others.

Its a stupid term and just needs to be put aside move forward and not use these terms. Its best to say PvP PvE ,neutral, hostile noob helper, base raper etc. The way I see it (now its just over killing the horse I'm sorry) is the anti-pk I think of is PvP groups who slaughter everybody and well shoot you if you are in a faction they fight and the PK you refer to are trolls.

I think what was said needed to be said not much else to discuss on my part. I guess we'll just leave this topic to talk about server population or discuss why you have quit the game personally or if you think the wipe well bring more or less players.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:43:58 am by gr1m055 »

JovankaB

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 02:05:11 pm »

It's not all that harsh with a low server population.

No it's not harsh. It's just boring once you explored it all.

Also once a bunch of losers visit a town at night and hide in a room for 15 minutes, you can't even visit it the next day, because for some reason 20 armed locals listen to a naked douchebag with BB gun.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:22:17 pm by JovankaB »

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 02:16:43 pm »

Also once a bunch of losers visit a town at night and hide in a room for 15 minutes
It's called "teh PvP" and better part of playerbase carries this out.

At least that's what I've heard.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

It's not all that harsh with a low server population.  If the server grew to having 400 or 500 online at a time I think it would become a real pain to do anything. I'd imagine all the HQ mining places would be almost permanently camped by PvP apes making mining almost impossible.  At which point losing a BA or tier 3 weapon would actually suck quite a bit instead of "meh that sets me back an hour or two"

Resource wars yarrrr! That would be so awesome. But nobody can just drag out of pocket 200 more players online. :-(
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »

The reasons why people quit is certainly not "pure speculation" with no hard facts. We have some facts.

But can you say that its 5% of people or 95% who left? I doubt that. And such a number is imperative to know for everyone who wants to deal with it. although i doubt that anyone who can wants to do something about it.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »

Tells much ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.