"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 06:22:11 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A way to lesson the blow of dying early on.  (Read 2043 times)

Gaizk

• -40 5mm +1 Frag
Re: A way to lesson the blow of dying early on.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

Yeah, just make everyone think the game is retarded and quit it, because hardcores will feel they are getting rewarded for their "hard work".

Truth is that newbies don't die due to their stupidity, and not even always due to lack of knowledge (they will not die often because of looting items in X vs Y, they see it once and learn), but because of random crits from random critters in random encounters possibly with random PK.

Add more things to learn or decrease random deaths.

Sorry for large quote... But I completely agree with mister Bravo here, game is unfriendly enough, why make it so even unfriendlier? And I know plenty of other people believe Random situations to be another denomination for fun (some even say Random IS god) but truth is, theres randomness for the sake of unique experiences and then theres forced randomness that entails frustation, and I believe we get more of the latter.

Elaborating a little bit, there IS nothing even scarcely unique at being thunderstruck by a high level while being a low level in a low level area, seasoned players will try to dismiss it as luck of the draw (and that wont mean they didnt get a little angry/frustrated) whereas newer players will be sometimes awestruck by the game open nature, and most other times frustrated at the rotten end of the game open structure.

Ive said this plenty of times and ill go and say it again, there should be designated LOW LEVEL areas to avoid high rollers from roflstomping newbs (will AT LEAST lessen the occurrences and very well avoid the im fucked scenarios for seasoned players too) Lets hear it bringing randomness to a fair measure, so we can appreciate its unique taste and not its repetitive streak
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:00:58 pm by Gaizk »
I think it's much better now. It's strange to see how everyone is a millionare in a wasteland..
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:16 am »

I agree the game as it is, is less friendly for low level players.  This thread is about armor drops from Npcs, lets keep it that way.  I already had a 8 page thread go on with suggestions for area's or ways for lower level players to be safer.  It was denied and trolled.

Npc's already drop caps, and having them drop more won't be a big help either.  Because you still have to make it somewhere to use those caps.  Now the Armor drops won't be a huge help, but not having to trek through towns to buy it will help.  And it makes it less frustrating if that type of gear is more readily available to lower level players.  Who no matter skill, will die, unless they're being carried by some major gang, and that's not really playing.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:30 am »

I don't think random situations are any big problem (perhaps that's what Fallout is about), but their resolution is often random or impossible, and that IS bad.
I don't say new players shouldn't die, but if they die and are clever enough, they should know how they could have done to survive.
Also it's kinda hard to balance out NPCs for multiplayer game where you are supposed to trust absolutely no one.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 10:29:58 am »

I don't think random situations are any big problem (perhaps that's what Fallout is about), but their resolution is often random or impossible, and that IS bad.
I don't say new players shouldn't die, but if they die and are clever enough, they should know how they could have done to survive.
Also it's kinda hard to balance out NPCs for multiplayer game where you are supposed to trust absolutely no one.

?????

So back on topic.
City Encounters:  269
Footlockers:  60
Blueprints:  8
Car Wrecks:  3
Fuel CC:  0
Special Encounters:  0
Data collection start: 1-24-13

Johnnybravo

• Hey there!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »

There is no point to talk about armor drops since it's already implemented in beta.
"What is this, I don't even"
"This is your forum."

Wallace

• "Not a bug. It's a feature"
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:08 pm »

(...)All mobs should drop caps. That also includes creatures like radscorpions, molerats, etc. so that every newb can earn any money from hunting. At the moment the only way to get caps is to be lucky while trading and finding NPC with caps. (...)

I agree with that there shold be thing in encounters that newbs could get a profit from it...
Of course i'm NOT talking about rats dropping cash... instead i suggest (almost) all (non humanoid) critters to drop somethig (like body parts or something that could be sold in random encounters too (welcome my good primitive shaman wannabe! Why wont you buy these 23 rat tails, 8 molerat sinews and 4 mantis intestines/raptorial legs you can make them into some concoction of yours and i do have need for those rusty metalic discs and you don't). Those body parts could be maybe used for some small crafting or swapping it for xp (like spears in Junk Town) or other newbie-oriented benefit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:50:37 pm by Wallace »

craft, Craft, CRAFT! (armors)
sometimes repair dismantle stuff
Roleplay!
...and most of all; DEATH TO NERFING!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:22 pm »

It sucks to be a noob, we have all been there. When the wipe is comes we will have to go through it again.

I don't see the need to protect noobs. The only way I can think of to make it easier for noobs is to give them 10 brahmin hides right off the bat.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:22:32 pm by Styles »
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.