"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • May 13, 2024, 08:42:03 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: TEH WIPE IS SOON!  (Read 17174 times)

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
Re: TEH WIPE IS SOON!
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »

The reason i defend the devs on this is because i'm a dev myself. My years in the IT industry made me cautious about deadlines. A cook in a kitchen can give very accurate predictions about when dinner will be ready. A guy who builds houses can too because he's built them so many times, he knows. But software developers have a different challenge: it's not the same house every time. It's a newer, bigger, cooler house each time, and each time it's just as tough to predict an accurate deadline as the first.

Yet even a cook who yells back "Dinner will be ready when it's ready!" is understood as meaning "Hey knock off that crappy pressuring me crap because goll-darn i work my butt off in here slaving for you hungry pigs and dinner won't be done any faster with all the whining in the world!" lol

So back off, ye wastelanders, and know that the longer we wait, the less bugs we'll be finding after wipe (which by the way i hear is very soon lol). In the mean time, hey i know! Here's a revolutionary idea for ya [insert sarcasm here]: take this time to find new players in-game and help them learn it asap. Tell them about wipe, but tell them about TC, radios, distress calls, crafting, alternate interfaces, targeting enemies with shortcut keys, how to level faster, the online tools like Encounter Finder, etc etc etc. Doing that would help this game survive and thrive. It would be better than complaining like spoiled kids.
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2011, 11:31:05 pm »

but acting like spoiled kids is what the community is good at!!

wladimiiir

• Rotator
  • Independent FOnline developer
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »

The reason i defend the devs on this is because i'm a dev myself. My years in the IT industry made me cautious about deadlines. A cook in a kitchen can give very accurate predictions about when dinner will be ready. A guy who builds houses can too because he's built them so many times, he knows. But software developers have a different challenge: it's not the same house every time. It's a newer, bigger, cooler house each time, and each time it's just as tough to predict an accurate deadline as the first.

Yet even a cook who yells back "Dinner will be ready when it's ready!" is understood as meaning "Hey knock off that crappy pressuring me crap because goll-darn i work my butt off in here slaving for you hungry pigs and dinner won't be done any faster with all the whining in the world!" lol

So back off, ye wastelanders, and know that the longer we wait, the less bugs we'll be finding after wipe (which by the way i hear is very soon lol). In the mean time, hey i know! Here's a revolutionary idea for ya [insert sarcasm here]: take this time to find new players in-game and help them learn it asap. Tell them about wipe, but tell them about TC, radios, distress calls, crafting, alternate interfaces, targeting enemies with shortcut keys, how to level faster, the online tools like Encounter Finder, etc etc etc. Doing that would help this game survive and thrive. It would be better than complaining like spoiled kids.

I am dev myself, so I understand too. But as a developer I have to do estimations on how long something will take. Of course you cant predict bugs and stuff but as I am aware of this is not full release but still beta version they are about to give us. It can contain bugs, it will contain bugs and we as "beta testers" have to accept it.
I cant imagine I would say to our client half a year ago that product would be ready "soon" and they will have to wait another year for product. Do you think they would accept it?
And even if I am not developing the game and even not testing it, I can say from CBT forum threads that wipe cant be "very soon" if they want to fix all the bugs and implement suggestions.
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 12:21:26 am »

Players aren't "clients" because they don't pay for anything. Players are offered a totally free game yet all they are doing is posting whine posts which doesn't help much. Developers don't need players as they have already stated that they would continue their work on this project even if there were 10 people online (or none). And no matter how unfortunate you find it, it's true  :P
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2011, 02:42:59 am »

Some players donate so they are practically clients. And even if players  are not clients they are either products or pain in the ass. If players are products devs should know what is the mood and general opinion in the comunity to keep as much of them as possible so whine posts actually say something. If players are just pain in the ass..... well decreasing population speaks clearly about this. :-(
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 09:28:14 am »

Players aren't "clients" because they don't pay for anything. Players are offered a totally free game yet all they are doing is posting whine posts which doesn't help much. Developers don't need players as they have already stated that they would continue their work on this project even if there were 10 people online (or none). And no matter how unfortunate you find it, it's true  :P

I take it as irony, coz, you would be surprised how important are players who just play for free. You get "donators" only because x-hundred people play just for their own fun. If you get rid of "free players" you would also lose your precious donators because no one would pay for dead project.

So technicly, players of any game are custommers - and in community whines you may find useful feedback.

I'm just sayin'  ::).
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2011, 10:11:01 am »

To me main problem is that I would (and I think maybe other players) have played this game in many months ago if word "soon" wasn't been used before at all. I always browsing in forums(if it is private server) about wipe, because its fun to start on new clean land, also I don't want to start with knowing that my hard work will be wiped "SOON".   
  I played many games on private servers, and words like wipe are banned on forums unless wipe is really coming soon. Reason: new players don't want to start new game if they know that their progress will be wiped "soon".

Don't get me wrong wipe is good for old players and new player too but its so freaking bad for new player if they can read on forum that wipe will be soon, but it should have been written that wipe will NOT be soon.

My story:
I played this game on this season then I left this game for my reasons, when I came back here I was demoralized to start all from nothing because my tent with all the pressures goods was gone, so I decided to wait for wipe. And now I'm waiting about 1 year, if devs somewhere would have been written that wipe will NOT coming soon, then I'm sure would have started play this game long time ago again.  And of coarse now when it's official that wipe will be soon I'm sure not starting playing this game now. I will wait and wait.       
        Maybe its only me.    Still "soon" not helped anyone its pure demagogy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 10:58:42 am »

Some players donate so they are practically clients. And even if players  are not clients they are either products or pain in the ass.
Players? Products? Dude, you should change your dealer sometimes  ;)
And donation is not a payment, but some people keep to claim otherwise.

You get "donators" only because x-hundred people play just for their own fun. If you get rid of "free players" you would also lose your precious donators because no one would pay for dead project.
Let's assume that all players stopped donations and there is no money to keep the server up. So? Oh wait, players can't play because there is no 2238 online. And then, what happens? Absolutely nothing. Devs are still able to work on the project (probably for fun, as they didn't get paid for it before, so nothing changes) as to keep repository and test server you don't need to pay for a dedicated server, as almost any PC switched on 24/7 will do the job. Heck, they can even invite few people for some closed beta testing, it's not demanding as keeping 100 or 300 players online without lags.

Conclusion: players donate so they have a place where they can play. They don't, they can go play requiem or tla mk2 or whatever.
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2011, 12:44:47 pm »

And donation is not a payment, but some people keep to claim otherwise.
Conclusion: players donate so they have a place where they can play. They don't, they can go play requiem or tla mk2 or whatever.

Your conclusion is: they pay for play...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2011, 01:36:45 pm »

It's your conclusion, not mine.
Developers don't get any profit from that. Yet some players talk about "devs begging for money" while the only receiving side is the playerbase again. So yeah, devs beg for money so that a horde of trolls and whiners can play their favourite game again :> How logical.

Doesn't matter how much uncomfortable it makes you, they make the game totally for free, you're not their customer, and therefore they have the full right to keep all of your demands and requests deep in their asses (though surprisingly they still listen to your crying sometimes). Btw I bet that most of demands come from people that have never donated a single buck for the server  ;D So far, every whining player of 2238 that I asked about how much he donated ever, answered: "zero", sometimes with "because devs/game sucks" excuse :> Nuff said.
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2011, 01:55:01 pm »

Good lesson here , rumors are bad and those who spread them are even worse.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2011, 01:58:24 pm »

Btw I bet that most of demands come from people that have never donated a single buck for the server  ;D
I donated few "bucks" once. Did I buy rights to complain and whine yet? :>

Anyway, however you have right with devs making the game only for teh lulz, it's a bit unlogical - making MMO game without players. It's like building a car in the garage, but never actually drive it. It's possible, but what for?
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2011, 02:54:16 pm »

Players? Products?

"If you are not paying you are not client but product." For example facebook users are products of facebook and facebook clients are advertising companies who pays for number of users they can influence. ;-)
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2011, 03:17:51 pm »

I actually only started playing a few months ago (Oct I think) so I've been hearing "soon" since my very first day.  Curiously though most of the "soon" talk I hear is from players not devs.  Also, being a long time gamer "soon" doesn't really bother me as an answer as it's not that uncommon a response.
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2011, 03:36:19 pm »

I donated few "bucks" once. Did I buy rights to complain and whine yet? :>
You missed the point which was rather obvious; those who are whining and crying the most, rarely (or never) provide any support with donations, bug reports and such. Just open a random thread on this board :> You don't make donations for developers, but for yourself and other players. I keep repeating this over and over again in my last 3 or 4 posts but you seem to not believe it :>

Anyway, however you have right with devs making the game only for teh lulz, it's a bit unlogical - making MMO game without players. It's like building a car in the garage, but never actually drive it. It's possible, but what for?
I'm afraid that it's not up to you to decide for them whether their work makes sense or not.

"If you are not paying you are not client but product." For example facebook users are products of facebook and facebook clients are advertising companies who pays for number of users they can influence. ;-)
Not sure if dumb or trolling, sir  :) 2238 is not a machine generating money and also, I must be blind but I've never seen any advertisements in game or here.

I find it funny how people can't understand that it's a free game and developers don't get any $$$ from it and instead of your whines, crying, neverending demands, threats "i will leave this game zomg111!!!" (well there was even some ULTIMATUM from russian players, rotfl) you should sometimes have just a nice, warm cup of stfu  ;) it's disappointing, yes it's sad, but it's true.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.